Morning News changes at Global BC?

News from the world of Television

Morning News changes at Global BC?

Postby flyonthewall » Mon Nov 09, 2015 5:39 pm

Word from Burnaby is that morning show ratings have tumbled around 40% since the departure of Sophie Lui to the News Hour.

The fly has heard that the old News Hour Final team of Randene Neil and Squire Barnes will be taking over the morning show with Darling relegated to "Breaking News Reporter".
Squire will supposedly be back for the 6pm show with Chris and Sophie.

The folks at CTV must be rubbing their hands together.
flyonthewall
Advanced Member

Re: Steve Darling's days numbered at Global BC?

Postby ThisIsNotCBC » Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:57 pm

flyonthewall wrote:The fly has heard that the old News Hour Final team of Randene Neil and Squire Barnes will be taking over the morning show with Darling relegated to "Breaking News Reporter".
Squire will supposedly be back for the 6pm show with Chris and Sophie.

I can't really see Squire jumping to the morning show because he's the sports director at Global BC.
ThisIsNotCBC
Advanced Member

Postby the-real-deal » Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:06 am

So, that rumour mongering squirrel is at it, once again !

Can someone please get a shovel and smack him, nice and good !

There's probably less hands to rub together at CTV, since those 380 layoffs must include some at CTV Vancouver, no ?

Or. is CTV Vancouver run by volunteers, now, just like in the good old days of BCTV. lol

I think that Steve Darling is just FINE by me.

Which brings me to a larger question, Does your morning "tv news anchor"
need to be spectacular at all ?

I have been watching the morning news for over 40 years at Global, going back to the days of Jim Hart and Deborah Hope with The Early News,

Steve Darling is probably 100 times better as a news reader than Jim Hart ever was !

And yet, Cameron Bell, BCTV News Director, though the world of Jim Hart !

As for Deborah Hope, she projected mom and apple pie goodness, like no other female anchor before or since. She could sell a human interest story better than even Mother Teresa and Mike McCardell combined.

Too bad on Steve's demotion to "breaking news anchor,"

I wonder, is that the new doghouse in television news ? Like NBC's Brian Williams getting demoted to "breaking news anchor !"

You never even see Williams, at all, on the screen, so why did they bring him back ?

Squire Barnes, I have seen cover for morning sports, before, and he doesn't have the energy or interest for mornings. He doesn't seem like a morning guy to me, and the peak audience is always after 12 noon in television. I would keep Squire where he is.

In television, your weakest announcers (historically) always have done the morning show.

It's kind of one level above the doghouse, or "the breaking news anchor" gig ?

CTV AM has had Dan Matheson as anchor, not the sharpest tool in the shed.

I see Steve Darling as another Dan Matheson, not spectacular, but always dependable and reliable when you need him.

At CBC, they have had a variety of nobodies reading AM news, from Carol McNeil to Suhana Meharchand.

These morning tv news readers are not really good enough to be your 5 pm "news star," so you allow them to exist in a lesser known time slot.

In radio, these employees are the classic "time and temperature disc jockeys" that typically do the 10 am to 2 pm slot, normally have killer voices and do a fair amount of production, as well ?

They are somewhat boring people, if you ask me, and you would never want them to be your morning show host or drive home host, because they are boring.

But they are good little announcers, nonetheless, and they could fill in for the morning jock or whenever the needs arises ?

I wonder, is Steve Darling being toasted, merely because he has seniority and the union payscales mean they have to pay him more than a newcomer with an equal amount of experience ?

Sounds a like a cost cutting measure to me !
the-real-deal
Advanced Member

Postby Talker » Sat Nov 14, 2015 1:20 pm

RealDeal:

I saw a lot of opinion, posturing and guesswork in your post above but, what experience do you have to make those all educated guesses? Have you sat behind an anchor desk and read a TV 'cast? Do you know what goes into writing, producing and reading any TV newscast? I'll be watching for your post.
Talker
Advanced Member

Postby the-real-deal » Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:49 pm

gtbell wrote:RealDeal:

I saw a lot of opinion, posturing and guesswork in your post above but, what experience do you have to make those all educated guesses? Have you sat behind an anchor desk and read a TV 'cast? Do you know what goes into writing, producing and reading any TV newscast? I'll be watching for your post.

@GT Bell:

You'll be watching for my post, huh ? LOL

I have an honest opinion, GT Bell, just like everyone else. Let's stick with the thread topic at hand - Steve Darling - and mind your business. Why is my background of interest to anyone or should it matter.

You can express your own "expert" opinion at anytime, GT Bell.

One thing that I have noticed about this forum is a certain xenophobia about it, in that anyone who is not part of your crony, g-t-g lunch bucket crowd is automatically demonized and that is a major annoyance or flaw of most of these forums, actually !
the-real-deal
Advanced Member

Postby Tom Jeffries » Sun Nov 15, 2015 5:47 pm

I say you are wasting your breath.

I think it is really tough to get ahead in any business and dumping on Steve, or any one else, is off putting.

Let's watch the movements, and best to all involved. I would'nt want to be unemployed, in this business, right now.

Cheers.
Tom Jeffries
Advanced Member

Postby Big Voice » Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:14 am

Steve's new co-host is in the house. Any comments? Anyone care? She seems pleasant enough? British accent matter?
Big Voice
Advanced Member

Postby Blabbermouth » Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:31 am

I recommend we at least change the title of this post.

I feel bad for Steve - he probably has a heart attack every time he logs on to RadioWest and reads that Subject line. It's tough enough out there not to have to read that.
Blabbermouth
Advanced Member

Postby Big Voice » Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:06 pm

Agreed.
Big Voice
Advanced Member

Re: Morning News changes at Global BC?

Postby radiofan » Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:52 pm

Blabbermouth wrote:I recommend we at least change the title of this post.

I feel bad for Steve - he probably has a heart attack every time he logs on to RadioWest and reads that Subject line. It's tough enough out there not to have to read that.

Good idea. Done.
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Return to On the small screen