Juno Awards, any thoughts?

News from the world of Television

Juno Awards, any thoughts?

Postby paterson » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:10 am

I watched all of the Juno awards last night on TV. Generally it was an honest effort overall, sound quality and camerawork well done, and all of the performers sang live.

The show did lack pacing, opening with Loud Luxury and Western's marching band was good, but the overall feel of the program was too laid back. Sarah Mclachlan didn't really need to reference US politics and Trump. Sort of tacky. Also does every live event broadcast really need a statement of first nation ancestral land recognition and acknowledgement? This could be done prior to the broadcast to those in attendance but is it necessary to be at the beginning of the broadcast? Again sends out a political vibe which in my opinion is misplaced, and redirects the intent of the program. Am I off base here?

It will be interesting to see how the ratings for CBC are for this. I found the interviews with Tom Power so so. He seems to be a hostage of a generation in his jean jacket. Can't really see Tom relating to a younger audience which would tune into an awards broadcast, or pre- show. He seems like he would be more comfortable in 1974 rather than 2019. CBC Music should have some younger hosts with a more entertaining or fun vibe to them. Sort of like BBC 1.

In fact the producers of the Juno awards should take a look at the Brit Awards to see how to produce an entertaining and fun awards show. Anyway did you watch the show or part of it, and what did you think?
paterson
Advanced Member

Re: Juno Awards, any thoughts?

Postby radioman » Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:42 pm

This whole thing of first nation ancestral land recognition and acknowledgement that is cropping up more and more at the beginning of a variety of events--entertainment, openings of legislative and municipal council meetings, for example--is getting to be a bit tedious. I know of church ministers who are commencing their church services each and every Sunday with the first nation ancestral land recognition and acknowledgement. What is the point of such repetitive recognition and acknowledgement?

Did the local chief of the first nation on which the meeting or event is taking place get asked for permission to hold the meeting? I doubt it. Are the people who are mouthing these platitudes somehow feeling bad that the meeting or event is taking place on so-called "unceded" land and they somehow want to apologize for imposing the event on the first nation?

And if you listen closely when these statements are made, they are usually made perfunctorily at the beginning of a longer speech (sometimes even slipped in as a, "I forgot to mention......." and the reaction from the audience is usually nothing--no applause, no "hear hear" or anything. It just all goes right over the head of the audience who are probably for the most part groaning inwardly at hearing it over and over again.

If you think about it, the whole thing is rather silly and meaningless.
radioman
Advanced Member

Postby Talker » Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:48 pm

What they said!
Talker
Advanced Member

Postby cart_machine » Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:12 pm

The Junos were on last night?

cArtie.
cart_machine