What's Goin' On at 40

Anything to do with the world of music...old or new

What's Goin' On at 40

Postby Neumann Sennheiser » Fri May 04, 2012 7:56 am

This spring marks the 40th anniversary of the creation and release of Marvin Gaye's epic masterpiece "What's Goin' On" and the May 3 broadcast of NPR's All Things Considered gives us a very special and rare listen to what's goin' on with "What's Goin' On" lately.
A young music producer, Brandon McFarland, is loaned the original session tapes in order to create remixes of the classic augmented with young (and generally little known) contemporary artists.
About 2:40 into this we are treated to a sampling of breakdowns of the original raw tracks including a much too short segment of Marvin singing just the vocals completely unaccompanied...gave me chills!
AWG Guy will really like this.

http://www.npr.org/player/v2/mediaPlaye ... =151962968
"You don't know man! I was in radio man! I've seen things you wouldn't believe!"
Neumann Sennheiser
Advanced Member

Re: What's Goin' On at 40

Postby jon » Fri May 04, 2012 8:05 am

That is one untapped music market: the original multi-track masters. Were they to be released in a form that anyone with some software could listen to and mix for themselves, high prices could be commanded, much as the original mono single mixes of The Beatles did a few years ago.

The Classic Albums series, aired and on DVD, really opened a lot of eyes to how interesting access to multi-track master tapes can be.

As for What's Going On, the Deluxe Edition of the CD includes a second version of all the cuts as it was originally mixed in Detroit, before final tuning in Los Angeles. Also just the rhythm and strings of the title track. And three original single versions of three of the cuts. Plus the May 1, 1972 Kennedy Center performance.

Thanks to Bill Reiter for letting me in on the "Detroit Mix" on one of his 10 year old shows on CHMB-1320.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby hagopian » Fri May 04, 2012 9:39 am

Still one of my true favs. Thanks for the memories.
hagopian
Advanced Member

Postby Neumann Sennheiser » Fri May 04, 2012 9:49 am

A correction:
This project commemorates the 40th anniversary of the May 1972 live concert performance of Marvin Gaye's "What's Goin' On" at Washington's Kennedy Center.
The actual release of the album and single happened one year earlier. Those magnificent "raw" tracks were laid down during March of 1971 with the in - studio assistance of the legendary "Funk Brothers".
"You don't know man! I was in radio man! I've seen things you wouldn't believe!"
Neumann Sennheiser
Advanced Member

Postby hagopian » Fri May 04, 2012 10:37 am

"What's Going On" has the backfield of the Detroit Lions, in the intro ..."Solid....right on"/ Marvin wanted *seriously to try and play in the NFL. He hung with the guys, I guess. This song dedicated to AWG. NS, and Brother 'Boom Boom' Benson and Jon McComb.
hagopian
Advanced Member

Postby Anotherwpgguy » Sat May 05, 2012 5:01 am

Wow fellas .... thanks so much for thinking of me.

I really enjoyed that NPR segment ... and what a privilege it must have been for that young guy to be assigned to do a new mix-down on those tracks for a radio show.

That project sparked a long lost memory of Bob Lusk, .... one of the super steady "Ops" from CKLW who left "The Big 8" and crossed the Detroit River to go to work at the Motown Studios doing recording mix-downs and other production work recording The Funk Brothers and all those other stunning artists of the time.

Regrettably, Bob was to pass away at a young age.

Thanks for once again reminding me of the almost constant fun we had "back in the day."

What would a weekend be if I didn't make a statement like ..... And the hits just keep on comin' ..... here's the marvellous Marvin Gaye with "What's goin' on." http://youtu.be/f39Zs0gB87c

Another Winnipeg Guy
Anotherwpgguy
Advanced Member

Postby Neumann Sennheiser » Sat May 05, 2012 7:32 am

I think this is the link you wanted to post. I corrected the small typo:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f39Zs0gB87c
Neumann Sennheiser
Advanced Member

Postby Neumann Sennheiser » Sat May 05, 2012 7:44 am

Neumann Sennheiser
Advanced Member

Postby Anotherwpgguy » Sat May 05, 2012 8:39 am

Hard to believe, but I may have made an error about the CKLW Op that went to Motown ... I now have huge doubts it was Bob Lusk, as he was on the "Radio Revolution" DVD speaking about the experience of working at CKLW. He's in this video at the 1:34 mark. http://youtu.be/Wz749-Q0lMc

I don't want to start spreading rumours of his death ... yikes. I wish I could go backand edit that reference.
Anotherwpgguy
Advanced Member

Return to Music Notes