Fuddle Duddle

Anything to do with the world of music...old or new

Fuddle Duddle

Postby PicturesForYourEars » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:21 pm

The year was 1971 and our then Prime Minister, Pierre Trudeau, was accused of mouthing the words, "F#$k Off" at members of the opposition party in the House Of Commons.

It obviously caused quite a stir and the Prime Minister never admitted to saying the words. Instead, he cryptically responded to the press, "Was it the nature of your thoughts, gentlemen, when you say fuddle duddle or something like that? God, you guys!"

The cultural response was almost immediate.

One was released by GRT records and appeared to include members of the newly forming band, Dr. Music ...under the novelty name "House Of Commons"!!!!!!

Anybody remember the song?
...LEFT PLACES I SHOULDA STAYED,
STAYED PLACES I SHOULDA LEFT...
PicturesForYourEars
Advanced Member

Re: Fuddle Duddle

Postby Recordman » Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:12 am

I don`t remember it but I do have the record,also there was another version done by a called Antique Fair on Green label,don`t have that one,can`t remember the label.
Didn`t realise it was Dr Music ,see you do learn something new everyday.
Have a great weekend all.
PicturesForYourEars wrote:The year was 1971 and our then Prime Minister, Pierre Trudeau, was accused of mouthing the words, "F#$k Off" at members of the opposition party in the House Of Commons.

It obviously caused quite a stir and the Prime Minister never admitted to saying the words. Instead, he cryptically responded to the press, "Was it the nature of your thoughts, gentlemen, when you say fuddle duddle or something like that? God, you guys!"

The cultural response was almost immediate.

One was released by GRT records and appeared to include members of the newly forming band, Dr. Music ...under the novelty name "House Of Commons"!!!!!!

Anybody remember the song?
Recordman
Advanced Member

Postby PicturesForYourEars » Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:05 am

The 'internet' mentioned there were TWO songs that came out right away, so you really KNOW your stuff Recordman!

I haven't had the chance to hear the song since 1971...
You Tube has only the FLIP side of the single on line for some strange reason.
Maybe because it was a dud novelty hit?
LOL!

Then....
there was this OTHER missing CanCon hit: Do The Footsie, 1969, by THE CHOSEN FEW.
(It was later covered in 1975 by a British group calling themselves: 'Wiggam's Chosen Few').
PicturesForYourEars
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:55 am

Recordman wrote:I don`t remember it but I do have the record,also there was another version done by a called Antique Fair on Green label,don`t have that one,can`t remember the label.
Didn`t realise it was Dr Music ,see you do learn something new everyday.
Have a great weekend all.

The label was Tuesday Records (same label that Steel River was on). I don't recall hearing either version on any Vancouver station. At best, there might have been an occasional spin in the dead of night
on a comedy segment of someone's all-night show.

Here's the tune from you tube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6K_adX2M_Y

PicturesForYourEars wrote:The 'internet' mentioned there were TWO songs that came out right away, so you really KNOW your stuff Recordman!

I haven't had the chance to hear the song since 1971...
You Tube has only the FLIP side of the single on line for some strange reason.
Maybe because it was a dud novelty hit?
LOL!

Then....
there was this OTHER missing CanCon hit: Do The Footsie, 1969, by THE CHOSEN FEW.
(It was later covered in 1975 by a British group calling themselves: 'Wiggam's Chosen Few').

Another one I don't recall ever hearing anywhere back in 1969. I have heard of The Chosen Few, but have no idea why.

Here's the original "Do The Footsie" from You Tube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ipng9DE1st4

These two examples of early Can-Con almost make you want to hear Snowbird one more time!
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby PicturesForYourEars » Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:25 pm

Radiofan!!!!!!!!!!!!!
LOVE your line about longing to hear Snowbird again...ouch!

Thanks for the Antique FAir link.
Anyone know if the two different versions of Fuddle Duddle were of the SAME song?
Where can I get to hear the 'HOUSE OF COMMONS' version (You Tube only has a funky flip side instrumental "Do The Fuddle Duddle").

Slow news day here on Radio West...
Gary.
PicturesForYourEars
Advanced Member

Postby drmusic » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:05 pm

For the record, the news coverage of the event from CBC:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXKSGRyZtz8

And CTV:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Q22GJoFNW4
drmusic
Advanced Member

Postby PMC » Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:24 pm

This one has nothing to do with Pierre Trudeau.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lo-2qtZpDY8

Crank it up.
PMC

Postby Neumann Sennheiser » Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:27 am

The label credit for composer of "Fuddle-Duddle" is to Greg Hambleton, an industry name that might be familiar to a few of the older members here who prowled the early 70's.
He ran the Tuesday record label which was a lesser branding of his Axe records. He signed acts like Steel River and Charity Brown (also wrote her minor hit "Out of My Mind" - recorded as Rain w/Charity Brown) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sNNrUI0ejA
Hambleton also produced (*ahem*) duo Gary and Dave, and was the recording engineer for at least one huge hit for The Stampeders; "Sweet City Woman".
All in all, he was a pretty big player and a contributor to the early successes of CanCon.

Oh, and remember how cute Charity Brown was back then?

Today:

"You don't know man! I was in radio man! I've seen things you wouldn't believe!"
Neumann Sennheiser
Advanced Member

Postby Eldon-Mr.CFAY » Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:07 pm

Greetings Everyone,
Yeah that brings back a few memories! I do have one of the 45 vinyl records in my collection but I think its out in Langley so I cannot check it right at the moment. I think the one I have in my collection of well over 2000 Forty-fives is "Fuddle Duddle" by the Antique Fair. Like RadioFan I tend to like the novelty records that have come out over the years like that one and especially The Ballad of Walter Wart!!!! Some of them tended to be played more on stations like KOL yes the Kolorful KOl 1300 Seattle. I remember hearing more of them played there than on Vancouver stations back in the late 60s and 1970s. KJR might have played a few too but KOL seemed to do it more often. Anyway getting back to Fuddle Duddle by the Antique Fair we played it on C-FAY in North Surrey quite a bit between 1971 and 75, I think I bought it shortly after it came out. Can't remember what record store out in Greater Vancouver though, might have been KMART as I think they had a 45s selection way back then.

Anyway I have not listened to the song since probably about 1976 or so, also I don't recall hearing it in recent years on any radio station even when dxing or travelling!!! I know that 790 Brampton Ontario either as CHIC or CKMW used to do a Canadian Music thing near Canada Day of a lot of songs including novelty tunes. I have an old cassette tape of one of their shows which dates back to 1980 or something like that, I think the host was Barry Kentner. Anyway when we played the song on C-FAY we were moving to the FM Dial at 92.l around 1971 or so and started playing more albums and lp. cuts so did not play the 45s quite as much as between 1967 and 1970. when we were on AM 1357khz and then 1360 khz. AM.... Incidently when we operated with a mere 50 milliwatts or less on AM and used the first transmitter back in 1966 or early 1967 it was a Lionel Radio Kit I had got for my birthday and you could build various radios and they really promoted this, your own home radio station! It used about two transistors and you built it on a plastic case type circuit board that looked a bit like a mini-console but all plastic grey! Actually not bad looking! Wish I still had it but do have photos. My parents had to order it from Sears in the States out of the Christmas catalog because Sears Canada never sold it! Yes that Lionel Radio electronic kit is the same company that made Lionel Trains, they dabbled in electricity and electronics kits and toys for a bit in the 1960s some of which are collector items today! Anyway I have gotten off the topic a bit but thought this was interesting bit of trivia I had not mentioned before on Radio West.

As far as Fuddle Duddle goes does anyone know what the highest position on any Canadian national chart was like RPM magazine etc.??? I don't have any of that available at the moment so was curious.

Anyway take care, cooler weekend in Ontario but its getting a bit warmer tomorrow.

73s Eldon
Bye . . Mr. CFAY "Frequently On The Frequency"
The CFAY Website: http://cfayradio.wordpress.com
CFAY Radio: http://tinyurl.com/l9qqmh
Eldon-Mr.CFAY
Advanced Member

Postby Recordman » Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:23 am

[quote="Neumann Sennheiser"]As far as Fuddle Duddle goes does anyone know what the highest position on any Canadian national chart was like RPM magazine etc.??? I don't have any of that available at the moment so was curious.
Antique Fair-Fuddle Duddle (#68-9) Tuesday 107 March 1971
House Of Commons-Do The Fuddle Duddle(#82-6) GRT 1233-04 March 1971

Thanks for your kind comments Pictures For Your Ears.I enjoy reading the posts each day,especially enjoy the charts of the past & the Can Con song of the day,saw one the other day that I`m looking for Painted Ship on London,Frustration,wish me luck finding that at a descent price.
I collect mostly 45`s,it is nice to see what was popular in different parts of the country in case anyone is curious I have over 12,000 45`s in one room.
Have a great weekend everybody.
Recordman
Advanced Member

Return to Music Notes