3 founding members of Beach Boys dumped from reunion tour

Anything to do with the world of music...old or new

3 founding members of Beach Boys dumped from reunion tour

Postby radiofan » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:12 pm

Three founding members of Beach Boys dumped from reunion tour
By NBC News

Mario Anzuoni / Reuters
The Beach Boys, from left, Mike Love, Bruce Johnston, Brian Wilson, David Marks and Al Jardine at the Grammy Museum in Los Angeles on Sept. 18.

Three members of The Beach Boys are feeling bad vibrations after being dropped from the band's reunion tour -- a move they reportedly found out about via a public statement by frontman Mike Love.

Love had regrouped with Brian Wilson, Al Jardine and David Marks to mark the legendary surf band's 50th anniversary earlier this year. According to The Telegraph, all are out in favor of the group's longtime backing band.

Love, who owns the rights to the band's name, released this statement: "The post-50th anniversary configuration will not include Brian Wilson, Al Jardine and David Marks. The 50th Reunion Tour was designed to be a set tour with a beginning and an end to mark a special 50-year milestone for the band.

Wilson, who started the band in 1961 with his late brothers Dennis and Carl, told CNN: "I'm disappointed and can't understand why he doesn't want to tour with Al, David and me. We are out here having so much fun. After all, we are the real Beach Boys."

The Telegraph further quotes Love on his reasoning behind the changes. "You've got to be careful not to get overexposed. There are promoters who are interested [in more shows by the reunited line-up], but they've said, 'Give it a rest for a year'. The Eagles found out the hard way when they went out for a second year and wound up selling tickets for $5."

Rolling Stone lists the backing band as Love's son Christian, Randell Kirsch, Tim Bonhomme, John Cowsill and Scott Totten. The magazine says the current tour wraps in London this weekend and reports that Love has already booked October dates in North America for the post-50th anniversary Beach Boys, with more dates to come.

http://entertainment.nbcnews.com/_news/ ... -tour?lite
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Re: 3 founding members of Beach Boys dumped from reunion tou

Postby johnsykes » Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:52 pm

Damn. The Beach Boys have always been my favourite group....sadly, Mike Love has really become a pain in the butt. Had plans to see them on the tour, but not any more.....besides, considering two of the Wilson brothers are no longer with us....this stinks like many of the groups using original names, but not original artists. I'll stick to my collection of Beach Boys CD's thank you.

At the same time, I do give credit to groups who appear on stage to commemorate original groups or singers. We've had a great number of them over the years, appearing in local theatres. Elvis impersonators to Buddy Holly....a great number....but at least they don't try or claim to have been in the original group.

Cheers amigos

J.S.
johnsykes
Advanced Member

Return to Music Notes