Worst Hit 45's of all time

Anything to do with the world of music...old or new

Worst Hit 45's of all time

Postby radiofan » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:52 am

What are your all-time most hated hit 45's ?

I change the station instantly when I hear the first note of Seasons In The Sun or Sometimes When We Touch. Funny, both are Canadian and are still overplayed .. even on US Oldies stations!
Luckily, not a lot of Helen Reddy tunes get played anymore. I couldn't stand them in the 70's, and 40 years later thay don't sound any better. Another that I instantly tune out of, and still can't figure out why
it was ever a hit is Wonderful World by James Taylor along with Simon & Garfunkel. Honey is near the top of my list too!

Stephen Quinn, host of the CBC's On The Coast has listeners sending in their lists of most hated hits and has compiled a Top 25 list.

Here's what Stephen's listeners don't like ... http://www.cbc.ca/onthecoast/2013/01/21 ... alcomments

Post your list of songs that wanna make ya have a protein spill ... I'm sure our lists will be similar!
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Re: Worst Hit 45's of all time

Postby 45 RPM » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:41 pm

Don't Worry Be Happy by Bobby McFerrin. I've hated that thing since the day it was released.
45 RPM
Advanced Member

Postby Fillinguy » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:43 pm

Closer - Tegan and Sara... Just irritating :(
Diamonds - Rhianna
Old Time Rock and Roll - Boob Segar
Anything by Shania.. I'll look at the cd all day.. just don't play it.
Fillinguy
Advanced Member

Postby Eldon-Mr.CFAY » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:25 pm

Greetings,
As we have just had the coldest night of the year at minus Ten Degrees Fahrenheit last night all night. I got frostbitten on both thumbs and a couple fingers as I had not experienced it that cold (although dry cold not damp-) since a couple times in the 1980s while living in Calgary. Back then I wore my gloves, last night I went out and was doing some outdoor radio checking and did not put them on and it happened within 20 minutes. So having a little difficulty with the left hand typing today on the computer!!!! My thumbs were just frozen when I came in, the G5 Grundig worked well outside last night in 20 minutes of Minus 10 F. which is something like Minus 25 Celsius!!!!!

Anyhow just had to comment on the worst hit tunes, thanks for posting this topic RadioFan and the link! Good topic and interesting comments. Well I would have to say that some of the ones I dislike the most are:
Yummy, Yummy, Yummy by the Ohio Express
A lot of the Donna Summer Disco Hits
Quite a few of the Shania Twain Hits!
Currently Justin Bieber or Beaver as I keep wanting to call him!!!!
Lady Ga Ga tunes (really can't stand her as a performer either!)
MacArthur Park (it gets real boring as its so long!!!!)
Also don't like many Opera tunes either (Did any of them ever make hit status, perhaps a few???)

I am sure there are quite a few others too in the top 40 Hit department and Country Hit categories too. Will have to think more about this and may post a follow-up on a few more. In the meantime it is interesting to hear about your Non-Favorite Hits etc. Good topic.

Take care and keep warm if its an icebox where you are too!!! Currently 10 degrees F. here.

All the best from Eldon....
Bye . . Mr. CFAY "Frequently On The Frequency"
The CFAY Website: http://cfayradio.wordpress.com
CFAY Radio: http://tinyurl.com/l9qqmh
Eldon-Mr.CFAY
Advanced Member

Postby Recordman » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:38 pm

It is bitter cold here as well -16C with wind chill bringing it to -27c.
My picks for worst tunes ever.
Anything by Celine Dion
Don`t Worry Be Happy
Take On Me-Aha
Reflex-Duran Duran
All I Wanna Do-Sheryl Crow
Power Of Love-Jennifer Rush

I`m sure anybody who was in radio would have more since they played all the hits as well as oldies.
I never worked in radio,always wanted to,though.
Recordman
Advanced Member

Postby Mike Cleaver » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:42 pm

Hands down winner from a 50 year radio guy: Seasons in the Sun.
Most boring juvenile banal piece of crap ever.
I agree with almost everything on the CBC list and yes, there are plenty of others as well.
A lot of CANCRAP was played and burned out simply because the Canadian Rotten Television Commission said it had to be played, even though there was very little that was noticed outside our borders.
Sorry Charlie, you can't legislate culture!
Mike Cleaver Broadcast Services
Engineering, News, Voice work and Consulting
Vancouver, BC, Canada

54 years experience at some of Canada's Premier Broadcasting Stations
Mike Cleaver
Advanced Member

Postby J Kendrick » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:49 pm

Crimson and Clover... over ... and over... and over... and over...

... and over... and over... and over...

All right... We get it already.... Cut it out...
J Kendrick
Advanced Member

Postby hagopian » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:34 pm

Oh, you hit a nerve.

After a while “The Tighten Up” - “ (Hi we’re Archie Bell and the Drells and we are from......"got really old - BUT - that being said I hated “Sometimes when we Touch”. - Dan Hill.

Nice guy though,
hagopian
Advanced Member

Postby skyvalleyradio » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:32 pm

where DO I start, radiofan??? Ok...process of elimination: starting with generalities -

ANYTHING by Paul Anka, Anne Murray, Barry Manilow, James Taylor and numerous singers with the first name 'Bobby' (too numerous to list)
ANYTHING on the Buddah Record label
ANYTHING by Ted Nugent, Vanilla Fudge or Bob Segar

Down to specific 45's, here's my "Landfill Ten":

Tie A Yellow Ribbon - Tony Orlando
Dizzy - Tommy Roe
Do Wah Diddy - Manfred Mann
Stayin Alive - Bee Gees
Gypsys Tramps & Thieves - Cher
It's Too Late - Carole King
The Wizard - Uriah Heep
Suzanne - Leonard Cohen
Born In The USA - Bruce Sprinsteen
Inna Gadda Da Vida - Iron Butterfly - the 2:30 version is just as painful as the 17 min vs, but the agony ends sooner

BUT...the all-time audio disaster that I dread twisting the dial of my receiver and catching just TWO notes of:

Melanie's - Brand New Key

I immediately want to rip the speaker cones out of my JBL Studio Monitors and to this day go ballistic if I hear ANY female singer trying to sing with the "little girl voice" Looking at her LP covers, who could imagine that a little cutie like Melanie posessed the aural equivalent of fingernails-on-a-chalkboard????

The CBC list is pretty good but I have to 'fess up': i actually LIKE The Trashmen's dumb-ass "Surfin' Bird" :walk:
skyvalleyradio
Advanced Member

Postby Big Voice » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:04 pm

Sorry, but my hands down winner/loser has to be Rick Astley, "Never Going to Give you up" Vomit time for me.

Never gonna give you up,
Never gonna let you down
Never gonna run around and desert you
Never gonna make you cry,
Never gonna say goodbye
Never gonna tell a lie and hurt you

Never going to Shut-Up!
I'm going to Throw-up!
Echhhh!
Big Voice
Advanced Member

Postby crs » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:07 pm

I'll stick to worst 45s of all time as I see some posters have drifted to most hated artist (altho Celine does hit a raw nerve)

Disco Duck - Rick Dees (this tune was so LOVED that it spawned a sequel Disc-Gorilla)
The Streak - Ray Stevens
The Witch Doctor - David Seville
Mister Custer - Larry Verne
Sugar Daddy - Patsy Gallant (one of those overplayed, mandated CanCon songs)
Last Song - Edward Bear (same as Gallant)
OPP - Naughty by Nature
Teddy Bear - Red Sovine

and I'm surprised no one has mentioned the projectile-vomit factor of Gangnum Style - PSY. I honest can't BELIEVE that stupid song was at the top of the iTunes Purchased Singles list for nearly half a year! We can only HOPE PSY is a one-hit wonder... :violent1:

Once this thread has gone its course, perhaps a similar thread, only label it "Worst Song Remake of All Time". There have been some real dogs over the years...
Keep your feet on the ground and keep reaching for the stars!
crs
Advanced Member

Postby crs » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:25 pm

Just checked the current top seller on iTunes and wish to add one more:

Thrift Shop - Macklemore & Ryan Lewis

Again, why are people buying this s***?
Keep your feet on the ground and keep reaching for the stars!
crs
Advanced Member

Postby Fillinguy » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:52 am

I LOVE Surfin Bird :)

I don't think you can really include novelty songs, they were never meant to be anything but what they are.

Saline Dijon will make me hit the serch button pretty quick.

Lot of cancon gold is burned out too, though honestly I never really "got" Joni Mitchell... There are some cool canadian gold tracks we didn't totally kill. That would be an interesting thread (though not as much fun)

How about Elvis' Can con album.. He may have been the King, but there are some Clinkers on that one.. like Little Darlin...
:bag:
Fillinguy
Advanced Member

Postby Recordman » Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:13 pm

Fillinguy wrote:I LOVE Surfin Bird :)
Me too.

I don't think you can really include novelty songs, they were never meant to be anything but what they are.

Saline Dijon will make me hit the serch button pretty quick.
Can`t argue that either.

Lot of cancon gold is burned out too, though honestly I never really "got" Joni Mitchell... There are some cool canadian gold tracks we didn't totally kill. That would be an interesting thread (though not as much fun)

How about Elvis' Can con album.. He may have been the King, but there are some Clinkers on that one.. like Little Darlin...
:bag:

The Elvis comment got me thinking about some songs by him that make me change the station really quick.
Crying In The Chapel & Surrender,I absoluely hate those tunes.
But then again,I`m not a huge Elvis fan,rather,Beatles,Stones & Rick(y) Nelson.
Just my opinion and welcome yours.
Recordman
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:04 pm

skyvalleyradio wrote:BUT...the all-time audio disaster that I dread twisting the dial of my receiver and catching just TWO notes of:

Melanie's - Brand New Key

I immediately want to rip the speaker cones out of my JBL Studio Monitors and to this day go ballistic if I hear ANY female singer trying to sing with the "little girl voice" Looking at her LP covers, who could imagine that a little cutie like Melanie posessed the aural equivalent of fingernails-on-a-chalkboard????

Based on the similarities in our radio listening habits during that era, I would ask (skyvalleyradio) one question: when it was a hit, two and a half years earlier, did you like "Lay Down (Candles in the Rain)", also by Melanie, but backed by the Edwin Hawkins Singers? I really did, but I totally detested "Brand New Key" and couldn't listen to "Lay Down" ever again after that. Or any of Melanie's followup hits.

crs wrote:Once this thread has gone its course, perhaps a similar thread, only label it "Worst Song Remake of All Time". There have been some real dogs over the years...

Equally interesting would be "Best Song Remake of All Time". Especially since it is easy to forget that The Flamingos and Fats Domino both had their biggest hit from remakes, though from a completely different music era/genre. Put in those terms, so did Ray Charles.
jon
Advanced Member

Next

Return to Music Notes