Happy Birthday Mud

Anything to do with the world of music...old or new

Happy Birthday Mud

Postby Neumann Sennheiser » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:29 am

Muddy Waters would have been 100 years old today. The mojo still works.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hEYwk0bypY

"You don't know man! I was in radio man! I've seen things you wouldn't believe!"
Neumann Sennheiser
Advanced Member

Re: Happy Birthday Mud

Postby jon » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:56 am

Muddy was indeed an amazing Blues pioneer. "Muddy's sound was basically Delta blues electrified, but his use of microtones, in both his vocals and slide playing, made it extremely difficult to duplicate and follow correctly." (Wikipedia)

Interesting that it took almost 100 years to accurately determine his birth date.

Nice that his last public performance was with Eric Clapton who was so heavily influenced by Muddy Waters and never tried to hide the fact.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby Neumann Sennheiser » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:44 am

jon wrote:...Eric Clapton...was so heavily influenced by Muddy Waters and never tried to hide the fact.

Eric also gave credit to Albert King. His solo on Strange Brew is note for note the same as the guitar work on King's Crosscut Saw.

I also appreciate this quote from yet another influential blues player, Buddy Guy:

"...if you get Eric Clapton to play a Muddy Waters song, they call it classic, and they will put it on that station, but you'll never hear Muddy Waters."
"You don't know man! I was in radio man! I've seen things you wouldn't believe!"
Neumann Sennheiser
Advanced Member

Postby skyvalleyradio » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:13 pm

Neumann S wrote: "Eric also gave credit to Albert King. His solo on Strange Brew is note for note the same as the guitar work on King's Crosscut Saw."

...and yet Clapton gives himself and 2 others author credit for "Strange Brew" in spite of the note-for-note solo, with no authorship credit to King. A number of British bands in the 60's were bad for ripping off songs, melodies and 'riff's from Muddy Waters, Howlin' Wolf, Sonny Boy Williamson and other influential bluesmen. They gave themselves songwriting credits and royalty payments instead of the original creators who deserved not only more respect, but some decent royalty cheques, instead of ending their lives in poverty.

Neumann, thanks for noting the Hoochie Coochie man's 100th!! :occasion5:
skyvalleyradio
Advanced Member

Return to Music Notes