Warren Beatty, You're So Vain

Anything to do with the world of music...old or new

Warren Beatty, You're So Vain

Postby jon » Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:29 pm

Carly Simon finally reveals the inspiration for You’re So Vain
National Post Staff
November 18, 2015 1:21 PM ET

It’s Warren Beatty. You’re So Vain is about Warren Beatty. Well, at least the second verse is about him.

Ever since You’re So Vain was released in 1972, fans have speculated over which of Carly Simon’s romantic entanglements inspired the song. More than 40 years later, the singer finally revealed to People magazine that the song is, at least in part, about her time dating Beatty in the early ’70s.

“I have confirmed that the second verse is Warren,” Simon told the magazine. She also further confirmed just how fitting her lyrics are, by saying, “Warren thinks the whole thing is about him!” Of course! It makes perfect sense that Beatty — living up to Simon’s lyrical interpretation — has always maintained that the entire song is about him and him alone.

The verses about Beatty go as follows:

You had me several years ago when I was still quite naive
Well you said that we made such a pretty pair
And that you would never leave
But you gave away the things you loved and one of them was me
I had some dreams, they were clouds in my coffee
Clouds in my coffee, and…

Speculation about the subject of Simon’s song has led to several theories including that it’s about Mick Jagger, James Taylor or even herself. However, don’t expect more revelations about You’re So Vain to come down the pipeline anytime soon. When asked whether she might reveal the inspiration for the song’s other verses in her forthcoming memoir, Simon said, “I don’t think so, at least until they know it’s about them.”
jon
Advanced Member

Re: Warren Beatty, You're So Vain

Postby jon » Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:31 pm

Interesting, as one of the CKLG-FM announcers announced this as Fact in about 1972.
jon
Advanced Member

Return to Music Notes