Terry and Susan Jacks both in hospital

Anything to do with the world of music...old or new

Terry and Susan Jacks both in hospital

Postby radiofan » Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:59 pm

Terry and Susan Jacks (The Poppy Family) are both in the hospital with ongoing medical issues.

Terry is in hospital again following a second stroke. This was posted on his FB page on September 11th:

Dear friends and fans of Terry: I am posting this message on Terry's behalf, with him talking to me as I type. After his stroke back in March, he was doing really well with the recovery. However, a few weeks ago he endured another stroke that sent him back to the hospital. He is having a really difficult time adjusting to it. He would like to reach out to everyone and know that your prayers for his healing and health would be greatly appreciated and well received as he is having a really difficult time dealing with everything right now. Please pray for Terry and send lots of Love and well wishes his way. He needs them now more than ever... and he says: Praise the Lord! Thank You and God Bless.

Susan is in hospital with kidney problems. She had a kidney transplant several years ago. This was posted on her FB page today by her son, Thad:

Hello everyone, this is Thad (Susans son)

The reason my mom has been unavailable recently is that she is currently having the fight of her life from various complications from kidney disease. I know she would want me to post on her behalf saying she will always love all her family, friends and fans very much forever.

Susan(Mom) is still with us and her life signs are improving. She is gradually coming off life support. She is in great care and is surrounded by close friends and family.

But she needs all the prayers, thoughts and love that we can possibly give her way. If there was ever a time to put on a Susan song and say a few prayers this would be a good time.

Thad

Wishing both Terry and Susan a speedy recovery.
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Re: Terry and Susan Jacks both in hospital

Postby Firedog » Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:10 pm

I'm saddened by the news that Terry and Susan Jacks are both having some major health issues at this time.

Individually, and together, they both made some pretty memorable music. It's hard to believe that it all started more than 50 years ago.

I remember seeing Susan singing on a wooden farm wagon on a street in North Vancouver in the mid 1960's. One of the songs she sang was "White Lightnin'". Her voice was great. I think there were a number of other bands there as well.

For a little trip back in time, I have attached a newspaper article and picture from the Quesnel newspaper, the Cariboo Observer from December 15, 1966. The article states that this is the first time Terry and Susan performed together.

A second article appeared in the Cariboo Observer almost a year later, December 14, 1967, noting that Terry and Susan had been married three weeks earlier in Vancouver.

We are running in, when everybody else is running out.
Firedog
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Sat Sep 17, 2016 11:50 am

Their first Poppy Family hit is still by favourite: "Beyond the Clouds". They played it when they did a noon hour concert at Burnaby Central Senior High around the beginning of 1969 with a few CKLG DJs in attendance. Real Roy and JB were there for sure, and I'm pretty sure Jolly John was there, too.

My recollection is that CKLG offered these shows for free to all the high schools in the area.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Sun Sep 18, 2016 1:07 pm

Sunday update from Susan's son Thad on FB ...
Hi everyone, Thad here.

Susan is slowly improving and is in much better shape now. She has been to the edge and back and has some amazing stories to tell. Thanks for all the love and support. It worked ;-)
Thad

Also, heard from someone close to Terry that he will be released from hospital in the next few days and will be staying with friends as he recouperates.
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Return to Music Notes