Third Stone From The Sun

Anything to do with the world of music...old or new

Postby Glen Livingstone » Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:02 pm

Played on a turntable at 78 rpm, not 33 rpm, the Hendrix track, Third Stone From The Sun from his 1968 lp Are You Experienced, begins not with incomprehensible noise, but a conversation between the guitarist and Chas Chandler as if they were a pair of aliens discussing the planet Earth. It begins "Star fleet to star ship please give your position ..."

( Courtesy of John Naughton, The Word. )
Glen Livingstone
Advanced Member

Postby skyvalleyradio » Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:10 pm

Pluto wrote: Played on a turntable at 78 rpm, not 33 rpm, the Hendrix track, Third Stone From The Sun from his 1968 lp Are You Experienced, begins not with incomprehensible noise, but a conversation between the guitarist and Chas Chandler as if they were a pair of aliens discussing the planet Earth. It begins "Star fleet to star ship please give your position ..."

( Courtesy of John Naughton, The Word. )

Bob Ness on LG-FM used to regularly play the intro of this track at 78 rpm, then stop the LP & start the track over at the correct speed. Bob was also the first DJ I remember playing The Beatles "Revolution No. 9" from the 'White Album' BACKWARDS so you could hear Lennon saying "Turn Me On Dead Man". This, of course, reinforced the notion that Paul really is dead! Well...isn't he?
skyvalleyradio
Advanced Member

Postby Glen Livingstone » Sat Aug 19, 2006 12:59 pm

skyvalleyradio wrote:Bob was the first DJ I remember? playing The Beatles "Revolution No. 9" from the 'White Album' BACKWARDS so you could hear Lennon saying "Turn Me On Dead Man".? This, of course, reinforced the notion that Paul really is dead!? Well...isn't he?

Well, not quite yet.

A couple of years ago some wag came up with the theory that the individual members of the Beatles were dying in order of their importance.

If this is true, it's happy news for Ringo - and for Sir Paul - not so good.
Glen Livingstone
Advanced Member

Return to Music Notes