Teddy Pendergrass dead at 59

Anything to do with the world of music...old or new

Teddy Pendergrass dead at 59

Postby radiofan » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:21 am

Legendary R&B/Soul singer Teddy Pendergrass, 59 born Theodore DeReese ‘Teddy’ Pendergrass, Sr. has died after battling colon cancer. The singer died Wednesday, January 13 at the Bryn Mawr Hospital in Philadelphia after trying to recover from surgery which occurred eight months ago.

Colon cancer is cancer of the large intestine known as the colon, which is in the lower part of your digestive system.

Teddy Pendergrass, whose fame became known as the lead singer of Harold Melvin & the Blue Notes before going solo, is most known for his hit songs “Love T.K.O.,” “If You Don’t Know Me By Now,” “Turn Off the Lights,” among several others.

In 1982, after becoming injured in a car accident, Teddy Pendergrass was paralyzed from the waist down. Although he suffered from spinal injury he continued working.

In an effort to help others, Teddy Pendergrass founded his own organization named Teddy Pendergrass Alliance with the objective to aid in education, employment as well as improve life-style for people who also suffered from spinal cord injuries.

http://www.hiphoprx.com/2010/01/14/lege ... ry-battle/
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Re: Teddy Pendergrass dead at 59

Postby jon » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:16 am

By a strange coincidence, I hauled out my Harold Melvin CD and played it a few days ago.

Sad to hear that Teddy is gone. I still prefer his material from the Bluenotes era.
jon
Advanced Member

Return to Music Notes