Rob McConnell passes at 75

Anything to do with the world of music...old or new

Rob McConnell passes at 75

Postby radiofan » Mon May 03, 2010 5:24 pm

Boss Brass founder Rob McConnell dies at 75
Last Updated: Monday, May 3, 2010 | 5:52 PM ET CBC News

Canadian jazz great Rob McConnell, a trombonist and band leader of the Boss Brass, has died. He was 75.

McConnell passed away in a Toronto hospital Saturday after a long battle with cancer.

McConnell was a valve trombonist, arranger and composer and worked with many small jazz groups in Canada.

His leadership of the Boss Brass, a 16-piece band he formed in 1968, catapulted McConnell and Canadian jazz onto the world stage.

Flugelhorn and trumpet player Guido Basso played with Boss Brass from 1968 until McConnell grew too ill to participate last year.

Basso paid tribute to McConnell's ability as a composer and arranger.

"He heard things the rest of us didn't," he said. "It was the way he was able to take a song that you and I know well and reharmonize it get the ultimate beauty out of the melody," he said.

McConnell was also a "fabulous" player of "superb jazz at its highest level," he added.

They last played together during a Boss Brass reunion during the Toronto Jazz Festival in 2009.

On stage, McConnell was a comedian and storyteller, and his jazz arrangements often included a humorous note.

He added a saxophone section and extra trumpet to the Boss Brass in the 1970s, bringing the group to 22 members.

Multiple Grammys

They were one of Canada's most popular jazz ensembles and performed live at U.S. festivals as well as recording Juno Award winners Big Band Jazz (1978), Present Perfect (1981) and All in Good Time (1984).

McConnell recorded more than 30 albums throughout his career and earned multiple Grammys, as well as Canadian Jazz Awards.

McConnell was raised in Toronto and learned slide trombone in high school. He began his career in 1954 in Edmonton with the band of saxophonist Don Thompson.

He worked in Toronto with Alex Lazaroff's Rhythm Rockets and Bobby Gimby before moving to New York in 1964 to play with Maynard Ferguson's big band.

In addition to playing with Boss Brass, he was also part of small jazz groups with guitarist Ed Bickert other Canadian jazz talents such as Guido Basso, Ian McDougall, and Rick Wilkins.

"Rob was a world-class arranger and trombonist," Toronto guitarist David Occhipinti said in tribute to McConnell.

"Being from Toronto, I had the good pleasure of hearing him play on many occasions and was always grateful to be able to hear a musician of such integrity and quality so close to home. His beautiful writing and playing will be missed!"

He was named officer of the Order of Canada in 1998.

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/arts/music/story/2010 ... z0mupRmYCs

http://www.cbc.ca/arts/music/story/2010 ... tuary.html
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Re: Rob McConnell passes at 75

Postby jon » Mon May 03, 2010 5:40 pm

For my money, he had one of the great song titles of time: "For the Wiener and Bunny".

And, again for my money, (a piece of) his most familiar tune when CanCon regulations first came into effect, can be heard here, as the subject of a CanCon Name That Tune contest from last year:
viewtopic.php?f=71&t=5501
jon
Advanced Member

Re: Rob McConnell pases at 75

Postby sparky » Mon May 03, 2010 5:41 pm

Sorry to hear about Rob's passing, but the very mention of his name brings back the nighmares of having to play can-con from those god awful CTL albums.
"You get a bunch of clowns together and sooner or later you've got a circus"
sparky
Advanced Member

Re: Rob McConnell pases at 75

Postby BossRadio » Mon May 03, 2010 5:43 pm

Sad news indeed. I had the pleasure of meeting him upon the completion of a set at the 2nd annual Brantford Jazz Festival last September, during which he seemed hale and hearty, playing his chops off, and obviously having a great time jamming with the big band.

Always enjoyed spinning Rob's duets with his long-time pal Mel Torme, but omg those CTL albums! They'd occasionally cause me to put my head down on the control board between three and four a.m......zzzzzzzzzz.
He will be missed.
Minutus cantorum, minutus balorum, minutus carborata descendum pantorum
BossRadio
Advanced Member

Location: the outskirts of the edge of the fringe of the centre of the universe

Re: Rob McConnell passes at 75

Postby jon » Mon May 03, 2010 6:10 pm

Don't get me wrong: I was always keenly aware of the shortcoming of the Canadian Talent Library (CTL).

But I had the good fortune to join CHQM when Jurgen Goth was in his prime as Record Librarian. He had a great ear for jazz. And could find the hidden gems on those CTL albums, and use them to fulfill much of the CanCon requirements with them.

Boss Brass albums tended to have more gems than average for CTL albums.
jon
Advanced Member

Return to Music Notes