New Beatles Album!

Anything to do with the world of music...old or new

Postby skyvalleyradio » Sat Nov 18, 2006 4:14 pm

I don't normally get excited by new Beatles releases which are usually repackages of oft-released tracks with a few outtakes and alternate mixes thrown in for good measure. However, the new release "Love" (also available as a DVD) could be considered an exciting 'new' Beatles album depending upon one's view. With full permission of Sir Paul McCartney, Ringo Starr, & presumably Yoko and Olivia Harrison, Sir George Martin and his son were given free reign to remix, sample, create "mix" medleys and digitally alter previously recorded Beatles tunes. The results are brand new recordings that preserve much of the original feel while giving the tracks a fresh sound using techniques currently in practice by 'remixers' and producers. An alternate title for this album could have easily been "Beatles Remixed" There are 26 tracks on this release and a few more tracks are included on the DVD version. There are no completely new songs on here - even the cryptic "Gnik Nus" is "Sun King" backwards! (Remember "Revolution No 9" ??) On some of the medleys, listeners will hear a number of samples and breaks from different Beatle tunes bridging different songs within the medley. A few tracks, such as "Help" don't sound much different than the originals. However, a close listen will reveal subtleties in the original mixes only now revealed using DSP and other digital "sound cleaning" techniques on the 'new' versions. This release is obviously timed for Xmas buying and my guess is that people will certainly be talking about it: my thoughts are that Beatle fans will either LOVE this new album or HATE it. While some Beatle fans will be open-minded to fresh takes on old favourites, others will feel outraged that the songs have been altered this way. Such strong opposing views have surrounded other authorized remixes of classic Bob Marley & Pink Floyd music amongst others. OTOH, this may be the ideal way to introduce the Beatles music to a whole new generation of listeners who are used to hearing multiple mixes of songs by favourite artists.I heard a news item about "Love" on the noon CFAX news Friday with short audio clips of Sir Paul & Ringo expressing enthusiasm and strong support for this new project. It will be most interesting to see whether music lovers embrace or reject this new album. Highly recommended for the adventurous, open-minded listener!
skyvalleyradio
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:59 pm

38 years ago this coming Saturday [the 25th] I picked up The Beatles 'White Album' on it's first day of release at K-Mart in Surrey for $7.69.

Today I stopped by Best Buy and picked up 'Love' on it's first day of release for $13.99.

The White Album still sounds great today. What I've heard of Love so far is interesting. Nice to hear of of the more obscure stuff reworked and remixed etc.

Considering how other prices have changed in 38 years, I guess the $13.99 is a bargain.

Remember when the standard price for albums was $4.20 for Mono and $5.20 for Stereo?

Yeah Yeah Yeah
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby skyvalleyradio » Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:33 pm

radiofan wrote:
Remember when the standard price for albums was $4.20 for Mono and $5.20 for Stereo?

yup...and I remember around the same era, buying 45's at Kelly's for $1.00 + 5c tax = $1.05 If I wanted a 45 that had a picture sleeve (like Beatles singles) , it meant a trip down to Pay n Save Drugs in Bellingham
skyvalleyradio
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:43 pm

Between Pay N Save in B'ham, and the Thriftway grocery store in Blaine, one or the other would have the sought after picture sleeves.

As well as the vinyl, I still have most of my old pic sleeves. :)
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby skyvalleyradio » Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:54 am

radiofan wrote: Between Pay N Save in B'ham, and the Thriftway grocery store in Blaine, one or the other would have the sought after picture sleeves.

As well as the vinyl, I still have most of my old pic sleeves. :)

My vinyl LP collection has been stripped down to approx 1,500 albums & I still have all my 45s - including those coveted picture sleeves
skyvalleyradio
Advanced Member

Postby skyvalleyradio » Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:03 am

radiofan wrote: The White Album still sounds great today. What I've heard of Love so far is interesting. Nice to hear of of the more obscure stuff reworked and remixed etc.

After several listens, I realize "Love" is intended to be listened to in its entirety as were Beatle albums such as "Sgt Pepper" "Magical Mystery Tour" and "Abbey Rd" with the 'mix' tracks constructed for listening as a 'block' of songs/medleys.
Speaking of the "White album": the beautiful version of "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" with its string section backing was apparently the intended mix, but was eventually changed with Eric Clapton's guitar added and Harrison's voiced double-tracked. I am amazed at the new sounds pulled out of old tracks as a result of reconstructing the songs from scratch using today's digital techniques/software. For example: the backing on "Lucy In The Sky" reveals a rollicking organ and guitar part not heard on previous releases. I would certainly welcome more of these "rebuilt" Beatle albums and am awed at good these songs sound digitally mixed and masterd.
skyvalleyradio
Advanced Member

Postby raverocks » Wed Nov 22, 2006 2:02 pm

It's interesting that the Love CD was available for download on the web over a week before it hit stores.
Find me on Twitter @RaveRocks101 and on You-Tube
raverocks
Advanced Member

Return to Music Notes