Old-time radio convention meets for last time

Post items here [radio related or otherwise] that you have run across on the net that might be of interest to others

Postby Tape Splicer » Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:45 am

The passage of time has caught up with "The Friends of Old Time Radio" convention. They meet for the last time this weekend. The item below is from the "Washington Examiner" and Associated Press. (Posted here to acknowledge those who enjoy what radio use to be.)
=======================================================================================

By: WARREN LEVINSON | 10/21/11 3:53 PM
Associated Press

The annual Friends of Old-Time Radio Convention is signing off for the last time Saturday

Read more at the Washington Examiner: http://washingtonexaminer.com/entertain ... z1bXNtHH31
The ghosts and survivors of Jack Benny, Benny Goodman and hundreds of other legends of the old days of radio are holding court for one final weekend at a hotel in Newark, N.J.

After 36 years, musician and organizer Jay Hickerson says the march of time has taken its toll.

The gathering used to call on a constellation of stars from radio's early days. Now it's down to former child stars in their 80s and 90s.

Eighty-eight-year-old Arthur Anderson acted as a teen with Orson Welles and is an honored guest. Also on this year's program are the grandsons of 1930s song and dance star Eddie Cantor and Brace Beemer, voice of the Lone Ranger.
Tape Splicer
Advanced Member

Re: Old-time radio convention meets for last time

Postby Howaboutthat » Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:58 pm

I shudder to think that in 50 years, today's radio will be called "Old Time Radio"... :oops:
Houston, We're dealing with morons!.
Howaboutthat
Advanced Member

Postby J Kendrick » Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:35 pm

Howaboutthat wrote:I shudder to think that in 50 years, today's radio will be called "Old Time Radio"... :oops:

It's already being referred to as being "old" or "traditional" media... as opposed to the so-called "new media".
J Kendrick
Advanced Member

Postby Tape Splicer » Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:08 pm

Most likely what will be remembered - or what should be forgotten - is the piffle between hop-hop or rap music tracks ; The rip 'n' read news that is seldom re-written to update a story; The lack of personality on the air at any given station that plays 30 to 40 minute music sweeps with a high repeat factor.

Historians 50 years from now may very well look to repositories such as this to find out what radio was like. At lest radio from the recent history (10 - 20 -30 years ago as apposed to 70 - 80 years ago) - along with commentary on what is currently happening in the industry today.
Tape Splicer
Advanced Member

Postby freqfreak2 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:59 pm

Howaboutthat wrote:I shudder to think that in 50 years, today's radio will be called "Old Time Radio"... :oops:

Nobody will be able to hear today's radio in 50 years. OTR survives because it once existed as transcription discs. Are you going to be able to find mp3 files at a garage sale or a swap meet ... and I doubt anybody's building up a collection of airchecks these days for posterity's sake.
freqfreak2
Advanced Member

Postby Paul P » Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:45 pm

freqfreak2 wrote:

Nobody will be able to hear today's radio in 50 years. OTR survives because it once existed as transcription discs. Are you going to be able to find mp3 files at a garage sale or a swap meet ... and I doubt anybody's building up a collection of airchecks these days for posterity's sake.

I think howabouthat was simply remarking on the state of radio today. :occasion5:
Being nice is my resolve - in 2012
Paul P
Advanced Member

Postby freqfreak2 » Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:41 am

Paul P wrote:I think howabouthat was simply remarking on the state of radio today. :occasion5:

And if he was wrong, I would disagree with him :)
freqfreak2
Advanced Member

Return to Rip 'N' Read ... aka Cut 'N' Paste