What's going to happen in the Tech Market?

Post items here [radio related or otherwise] that you have run across on the net that might be of interest to others

What's going to happen in the Tech Market?

Postby Jack Bennest » Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:12 am

Seven Tech Trends for 2009
By Gillian Shaw

12-30-2008

The boxes and wrapping paper from this season's tech toys have barely been tossed out before it's time to turn our attention to the coming year.

Predictions are rolling out thick and fast and here is the outlook from JWT (J. Walter Thompson) the largest advertising agency in the United States and fourth largest worldwide.

If you haven't been completely offline in recent months, you'll likely recognize that some of these changes -- like the decline of email and the rise of netbooks - are already upon us.

The trendspotters at JWT are predicting:

- The mobile device as everything hub: Mobile rules. If you're a marketer, take note, made-for-PC sites don't make the cut for a mobile experience.

- Customizable mobile: Apple's iPhone made mobile applications all the rage and other smartphone makers are having to follow suit. JWT says watch for more open mobile systems and an "onslaught" of mobile apps.

- Decline of email: If you've tried emailing a teen lately you may have noticed that's considered only slightly less old-school than two tin cans and a string when it comes to communications. Text messaging, social networks like Facebook and Twitter are increasingly preferred by email recipients who are ready to cry uncle under the weight of their inboxes. According to JWT, after a decade of dominance, email will gradually be eclipsed by more efficient, manageable solutions. Hear, hear.

- Cloud Computing: Software, storage -- everything we needed in our desktop computers or carried around in our laptops is now in the 'cloud.' Wikipedia calls the cloud a metaphor for the Internet, an explanation that is difficult to convey to new users. I found myself trying to explain this to a friend as I was helping her set up a netbook she received as a Christmas present. She wanted to know: Was it on the computer? On a disk? On a USB drive? I just waved my hands in the air and said 'it's all on the Internet now.' That, plus the appearance of 600 of her holiday photos on an online photo site seemed to convince her.

- Social networking for jobseekers: With companies handing out more pink slips than Christmas bonuses in the past month or so, jobseekers who know how to maximize the benefits of such sites as LinkedIn and others will find those social networking skills could come in handy.

- Web/TV convergence: This prediction has been paraded out in one form or another for quite a while and no telling if 2009 will be its year. The convergence of entertainment media on one viewing device: It will probably take a long time to filter down to the living rooms of the nation but earlier adopters are on it.

- Netbooks: I could have made this prediction after seeing how many of these mini notebook computers arrived in Santa's sleigh this year. Call it computing lite - and in the cloud. Less powerful but cheaper and way easier to lug around than full-featured notebook computers, netbooks are winning fans not only for business use but for pure fun and portability. They offer email and Web access and much of the software users might want, from word processing to photo editing, is available online. Worldwide sales are projected to reach 21 million in 2009.
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Return to Rip 'N' Read ... aka Cut 'N' Paste