In a World of Trailers, Unseen Stars

Post items here [radio related or otherwise] that you have run across on the net that might be of interest to others

In a World of Trailers, Unseen Stars

Postby Neumann Sennheiser » Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:55 am

Origionally published in this past Sunday's New York Times:

Hal Douglas, a highly sought voice-over talent for Hollywood trailers, plies his trade at Soundhound, a New York studio.

By STEPHEN HEYMAN
Published: April 10, 2009

It’s been almost eight months since the death of Don LaFontaine, and everyone who’s anyone in his business — the business of announcing movie trailers — says there will never be another Thunder Throat.

Often called “the voice of God,” Mr. LaFontaine recorded voice-overs for more than 5,000 movie trailers and, during a period in the 1990s, had an almost absolute monopoly on network television promotional spots. In the years before his death at 68, he enjoyed a kind of celebrity status, appearing on “Today” and spoofing himself in a popular commercial for Geico. He looked like a bald pirate, and his distinctive face and noise-canceling baritone made him the embodiment of a business whose stars were all previously unseen.

“We lost our alpha dog,” said Marice Tobias, a consultant who coaches many A-list talents in voice-overs. “Don was the focal point for us, and there’s a void now.”

It would be a tad too facile to say that Hal Douglas, an 84-year-old titan in the trailer world, has stepped into Mr. LaFontaine’s shoes. Mr. Douglas has no nicknames. If his voice sounds anything like God’s, it’s God on Day 7: world-weary and slightly amused. He has an agent in New York, but she’s never visited his horse ranch here in the hills of Northern Virginia, where Mr. Douglas makes recordings in a simple studio, sometimes in pajamas. He says he doesn’t want to be compared to Mr. LaFontaine, but for the people who make movie trailers and watch them closely the comparison is unavoidable.

“Hal was the only guy that in some way, shape or form could be mentioned in the same breath as Don,” said Jeff Keels, a Texas television producer who is filming a documentary about Mr. LaFontaine and others called “The Voice Gods of Hollywood.” “But there’s a difference between Don and Hal. When Don said, ‘In a world ...,’ it sounded like a spot. It grabbed you. But when Hal says it, it transports you.”

Mr. Douglas says he can’t keep track of what trailers he recorded yesterday, much less over the almost 60 years he’s been behind a mike. He did “Philadelphia” and “Forrest Gump,” “Men in Black” and “Coneheads,” “Stranger Than Fiction” and “Marley and Me.” He recorded a voice-over for the Broadway play “Equus,” narrated programs on the History Channel (in the days before “Ice Road Truckers”), and served as the voice of the WB network.

“The fact is, my voice has been out there,” he said. “And it hangs out there. You sit down in the theater and sometimes in three out of four trailers I’d be on them.”

Mr. Douglas was born in 1924 in Stamford, Conn., the son of immigrants from Latvia and Russia. He spent three years in the Navy during World War II and wrote fiction in his free time. After the war he enrolled on the G.I. Bill at the University of Miami, where, he said, “I chased pretty girls into the drama department.” Acting became a passion; but passions, he said, don’t always pay the rent, especially in New York City. And so he went into radio and trained as an announcer, which later led to voice-over work.

“I’m not outstanding in any way,” he said. “It’s a craft that you learn, like making a good pair of shoes. And I just consider myself a good shoemaker.”

For a shoemaker Mr. Douglas is paid quite handsomely. He won’t quote figures, but he stands at the apex of a group of 15 to 20 voice actors whom Hollywood has deemed trailer-worthy. According to Ron Moler, the chief executive of the movie marketing studio Ignition Creative, these top voice actors typically earn between $1,800 and $2,200 per trailer. And it only takes them from 15 minutes to an hour to record one, making this very lucrative work for the few who can get it.

And those few are shrinking in number. “When you look at the demo that typically goes to the cinema, the 18-to-24 male crowd, they’re always going to get a booming, unsubtle voice to say, ‘Go and see “Transformers” immediately, or die!’ ” said Bill Ratner, who has voiced trailers for Judd Apatow and Will Ferrell movies. “These days the classiest fall releases often don’t use an announcer at all.”

Incidentally Mr. Douglas is not the only octogenarian in coming attractions. At 82 Don Morrow has a career in voice-overs that goes back more than 60 years, to when he was a student at Syracuse University, imitating Edward R. Murrow and capturing his voice on an old wire recorder.

“There’s nobody as old as Hal and me,” said Mr. Morrow, who did the trailer for “Titanic” but must audition for new work. “I’m sure that you’ve heard more than one story about guys that retire. They die. And I don’t want to die. So I’ll work till I drop.”

Ms. Tobias, the voice-over consultant, said Mr. Morrow and Mr. Douglas are still hired to do trailers for the same reason that Tony Bennett is still singing. They don’t sound passé because they don’t think their time has passed.

“What is it that makes someone current to the culture when a lot of their peers fall by the wayside?” Ms. Tobias said. “Some older guys want to tell me what’s wrong with what’s going on now and how it was so much better in their day. ‘Wait a second — what do you mean in your day? Am I working with a ghost?”

I took a weekend workshop with Marice Tobias over ten years back; learned a lot!
I see she's still in it, coaching the big leaguers. - Neumann
"You don't know man! I was in radio man! I've seen things you wouldn't believe!"
Neumann Sennheiser
Advanced Member

Re: In a World of Trailers, Unseen Stars

Postby cart_machine » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:06 pm

Neumann, you can learn so much about phrasing, pitch and emphasis listening to these guys. Still, I could never hope to do what they do.

And they're enjoyable to hear. I can still admire Art Gilmore's trailers of 55 or so years ago, even though announcing styles have changed.

The local man I admired the most, and still do, is Al Jordan. He could .. and for me, did .. read the same script three entirely different ways. And they all worked. He could have been in the top echelon in North America amongst all these big-name trailer and promo guys had he wanted to leave Vancouver for the U.S.

cArtie.
cart_machine
Advanced Member

Postby mightymouth » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:11 pm

cart_machine wrote:Neumann, you can learn so much about phrasing, pitch and emphasis listening to these guys. Still, I could never hope to do what they do.

And they're enjoyable to hear. I can still admire Art Gilmore's trailers of 55 or so years ago, even though announcing styles have changed.

The local man I admired the most, and still do, is Al Jordan. He could .. and for me, did .. read the same script three entirely different ways. And they all worked. He could have been in the top echelon in North America amongst all these big-name trailer and promo guys had he wanted to leave Vancouver for the U.S.

cArtie.

cArtie, any idea what Al Jordan (Happy Pappy) is doing these days? Haven't heard him or heard about him in a long time?
Don't count the days, make the days count.
mightymouth
Advanced Member

Postby hazmat » Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:34 am

And what Al Jordan was to production voices, Jack Short was to racetrack announcing.

Jack could have worked anywhere in North America, but chose to stay in Vancouver/
Victoria throughout his lengthy career.

Al J., Monty M., Jack Short, Darrel B., Jim Hault, Jack Cullen, J. B. Shayne, and on and on...
each different, each at the height of his craft. I had the same experience with Al
Jordan... he could take a spot and read it several completely different ways in rapid
succession, all excellent: take your pick! It boggles the mind!

Local broadcasting has truly been blessed with some extraordinary talent. Which has
been a great ride, but makes it impossible for those that follow to fill those big shoes...

Haz
hazmat
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:05 pm

Neumann Sennheiser wrote:It’s been almost eight months since the death of Don LaFontaine, and everyone who’s anyone in his business — the business of announcing movie trailers — says there will never be another Thunder Throat.

I still find it amazing to think that the man that Don replaced is still around. Art Gilmore, who cartie mentions above, retired from movie trailers, leaving the way clear for Don. I'm not sure if anyone knows which of them holds the record for greatest body of work.

Art will be celebrating his 100th birthday on March 18, 2012. He was 89 when he did his last major work, the voice of The Moon on 2001's Moonbeams movie. He began in Radio. By 24, he was a staff announcer at KFWB Los Angeles, before moving into News at KNX. Shortly after his arrival at KFWB, he became the announcer for network radio shows like Amos and Andy.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby cart_machine » Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:29 pm

mightymouth wrote: cArtie, any idea what Al Jordan (Happy Pappy) is doing these days? Haven't heard him or heard about him in a long time?

Mr. Mouth, Jerry Landa tells me Pappy is sitting at home with his cats and periodically makes trips to the main branch of the library to do some reading. He's sticking pretty much to himself, I gather. Jerry got this second-hand; I can't remember if he heard it from Frosty or someone else.

cArtie.
cart_machine
Advanced Member

Postby cart_machine » Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:39 pm

hazmat wrote: Local broadcasting has truly been blessed with some extraordinary talent. Which has been a great ride, but makes it impossible for those that follow to fill those big shoes...

Part of the reason it's impossible isn't just talent, but the fact they were allowed to use their talent. J.B. and I once had a conversation about liner cards. You can probably guess what he had to say.

One of the guys at work and I were talking about jocks. He's maybe half my age. He doesn't listen to radio for jocks. He listens for music. I was exactly the opposite years ago and it's what attracted me to the business.

Back to the topic, though. I'm glad Don LaFontaine got some public recognition before he died. I still think that video of the trailer guys in Don's limo is one of the greatest things I've seen. And we even got a snippet of Hal Douglas on it.

cArtie.
cart_machine
Advanced Member

Postby mightymouth » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:01 pm

cart_machine wrote:
mightymouth wrote: cArtie, any idea what Al Jordan (Happy Pappy) is doing these days? Haven't heard him or heard about him in a long time?

Mr. Mouth, Jerry Landa tells me Pappy is sitting at home with his cats and periodically makes trips to the main branch of the library to do some reading. He's sticking pretty much to himself, I gather. Jerry got this second-hand; I can't remember if he heard it from Frosty or someone else.

cArtie.

Thanks cArtie, I'm so glad he's still with us. I had the pleasure of meeting him a few times, and he was one of the nicest guys you could ever meet. And oh those pipes! You talk about listening for the radio personalities, Al used to do this bit on his morning show where he would phone home and talk to his kids before they went off to school in the morning. It was great stuff, and something you'd be hard pressed to find today. Maybe in a smaller market?

Well I'm off to Toronto for a week, haven't been for a while, I'll try and listen and report back on anything happening in the centre of the universe! They invented radio back there you know! :lol:
Don't count the days, make the days count.
mightymouth
Advanced Member

Ken Roberts passes

Postby jon » Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:37 pm

Much to my surprise, Art Gilmore, mentioned above in connection with Movie Trailers, was not the only major '30s network radio announcer who was still around. Ken Roberts just died. I had heard his voice countless times in my youth, but never knew his name. Until now. Read on...

Ken Roberts, 99
Golden-Throated Announcer Introduced Soap Operas
By T. Rees Shapiro
Washington Post Staff Writer
Sunday, June 28, 2009

Ken Roberts, 99, an announcer whose urbane baritone introduced the long-running TV soap operas "Love of Life" and "The Secret Storm," and who memorably parodied his dramatic delivery on the 1970s children's show "The Electric Company," died June 19 at New York Presbyterian Hospital. He had pneumonia.

In a career that spanned eight decades, Mr. Roberts acted on Broadway and established himself as a radio personality before making the transition to television during its infancy. He introduced two CBS soap operas, "Love of Life" from 1951 to 1971 and "The Secret Storm" from 1954 to 1974, the second of which provided an early credit for actor Christopher Reeve.

One of his last roles was an off-screen bit as an announcer in Woody Allen's "Radio Days" (1987), a film that also featured his son, actor Tony Roberts.

Steve Beverly, editor of the online newsletter "The Daily Game Show Fix," said Mr. Roberts had one of the most familiar anonymous voices in radio and television. "For Ken Roberts, it was, 'I know that voice, I know that voice,' " Beverly said. "He had what executives called a golden throat."

On radio in the 1940s, one of Mr. Roberts's most prominent roles was emcee of the quiz show "Quick as a Flash," which dramatized a moment in history and asked contestants to guess the event. Skilled at creating a convincing jovial personality no matter the product, he was also in particular demand narrating commercials, which later carried over into his TV work for Mogen David Wine advertisements.

"I would quote some doctor's message about some hair tonic and give out with joy," Mr. Roberts said in a 1945 New York Times interview. "Or advise the use of a chest rub to save you from pneumonia or worse and laugh with almost maniacal glee during the one-minute announcement.

"But now I don't feel like a phony," he said. "I can toss around atrocious puns like the one about the world beginning with an Adam and ending with an atom, and just laugh and laugh and laugh. I feel human when talking into that mike, not like a grinning, foolish puppet on a sponsor's string."

Mr. Roberts was born Saul Trochman on Feb. 22, 1910, in Manhattan. He attended law school before entering show business in the late 1920s at a small New Jersey radio station. He mopped, played piano, recited poetry and announced the call sign, WPCH, on the hour.

In 1931, he beat out 40 other applicants for a full-time position as an announcer on CBS's New York outlet, WABC, where he stayed for 20 years. Among the shows he introduced was a game show parody, "It Pays to Be Ignorant." Mr. Roberts would tease fake contestants -- played by actors -- who would incorrectly answer questions such as, "Who came first: Henry I or Henry VIII?"

Mr. Roberts, who stood over 6 feet tall, had an intimidating physical presence that was put to use in the 1937 Broadway comedy "Hitch Your Wagon," where he played a dimwitted football star.

His first wife, the former Norma Finkelstein, died in 1984. Survivors include his wife of 11 years, Sydell Salzberg Roberts of New York; two children from his first marriage, Tony Roberts and Nancy Roberts, both of New York; two stepchildren; and four grandchildren.

In the early 1970s, he signed on with the PBS children's show "The Electric Company" and is best remembered for announcing a sketch called "Love of Chair," a play on "Love of Life." Supported by quivering organ music, Mr. Roberts melodramatically described the pantomime movements of a boy and his only chair.

As a farcical line that paid homage to his soap opera days, he intoned a cliffhanger question at the end of every skit: "What about Naomi? . . . And what about Naomi?"
jon
Advanced Member

Return to Rip 'N' Read ... aka Cut 'N' Paste