Can FaceBook used your pix in a sex ad?

Post items here [radio related or otherwise] that you have run across on the net that might be of interest to others

Can FaceBook used your pix in a sex ad?

Postby Jack Bennest » Sat May 01, 2010 6:39 am

There's no shortage of data: Facebook has more than 400 million users worldwide, with one in three Canadians on Facebook.

If you are counting on the company to safeguard your privacy, your confidence may be misguided.

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/technology/ ... z0mgWBkKeJ
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Re: Can FaceBook used your pix in a sex ad?

Postby jon » Sat May 01, 2010 9:05 am

On a related note, my long-time friend the computer guru has concluded ("there is no other explanation") that FaceBook looks into your e-mail address book (on Outlook or wherever) to come up with some of its Friends suggestions. In my mind, that kind of snooping around your computer "crosses the line" between acceptable behaviour of a "web-based application" (i.e. - something that runs on your browser) and malware.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby Dan Sys » Sat May 01, 2010 9:15 am

I don't know about you guys, but I would feel very honoured if Facebook used my pic in a sex ad !!!' :carrot: :carrot: :carrot:
Dan Sys
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Sat May 01, 2010 9:38 am

thank you jon for making me think about all those friend requests - I thought they were related to friends of your friends.
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Sat May 01, 2010 5:16 pm

http://www.allfacebook.com/2009/02/facebook-privacy/

try this link if you are interested in privacy
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Sun May 09, 2010 7:35 pm

jon wrote:On a related note, my long-time friend the computer guru has concluded ("there is no other explanation") that FaceBook looks into your e-mail address book (on Outlook or wherever) to come up with some of its Friends suggestions. In my mind, that kind of snooping around your computer "crosses the line" between acceptable behaviour of a "web-based application" (i.e. - something that runs on your browser) and malware.

It just occurred to me that the logical next step is for FaceBook to let the record companies silently run an application whenever you logon to FaceBook that checks your hard drive for any music you haven't paid them for.

My "crossing the line" comment is referring to the concept that there should be nothing you do inside a browser that allows any information to be sent other than what you explicitly offer, either by typing it in, clicking with your mouse or uploading a file. The idea of something in the background looking around your hard drive without your permission is just wrong. It all reminds me of a recent malware that turned on your webcam and send out images without your knowledge or consent. Especially when netbooks all come with webcams built in, and their owners may not even know they have one.
jon
Advanced Member

Return to Rip 'N' Read ... aka Cut 'N' Paste