Changes at Winnipegs CAFE 100.7

Radio News from Manitoba

Postby Dan Sys » Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:02 pm

While a lot of people thought rumoured changes at Winnipeg's CAFE 100.7 (CKFE) were just a publicity hoax (similar to the format change hoax at Winnipeg's Q94 earlier in the year), this one looks like there's actually something to it. According to today's Industry Canada database release CKFE has changed calls to CHNK.

http://www.newcapinteractive.com//images/N...B_5520_1713.htm

That wouldn't be standing for HANK FM would it?
Dan Sys
Advanced Member

Postby Aaron » Wed Dec 20, 2006 5:52 am

I was just about to ask you about their call-letters. Thanks!
Aaron
Advanced Member

Postby kat » Thu Dec 21, 2006 11:18 am

Whew .. I was worried. I suddenly had a craving for some fried rice. :blink:
The world has two kinds of people. Cat people and idiots.
kat
Advanced Member

Postby Arnold Schoenberg » Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:46 pm

real classy.
Arnold Schoenberg
Advanced Member

Postby Dan Sys » Tue Dec 26, 2006 9:32 am

According to Winnipeg's KICK FM (CKIC) website, they will become HANK FM with Country:
http://www.kick.fm/
I'm not sure how Newcap managed to pull this off as the station does operate within a "specialty format" license.

I guess you guys can put those chopsticks away.
Dan Sys
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Tue Dec 26, 2006 10:41 am

Didn't CAFE launch on Boxing Day last year, about an hour before Calhgary's Breeze flipped to California 103?
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby Dan Sys » Tue Dec 26, 2006 3:44 pm

Dan Sys
Advanced Member

Postby skyvalleyradio » Tue Dec 26, 2006 6:03 pm

Dan Sys wrote:According to Winnipeg's KICK FM (CKIC) website, they will become HANK FM with Country:
http://www.kick.fm/
I'm not sure how Newcap managed to pull this off as the station does operate within a "specialty format" license.

...the same way Rogers managed to dump 96.9 C-JAZ to become "97 Kiss FM" back in the 80's in Vancouver. Rogers had a specialty license for that operation and made a big pitch to the CRTC for the license based on a jazz & blues format. After whining to the CRTC, they managed to dump the jazz for AC
skyvalleyradio
Advanced Member

Postby Dan Sys » Tue Dec 26, 2006 7:57 pm

Oh yes, I remember that very well. I also recall for the first few years of CJAZ's life they were on 92.1 with the tower located on one of the Gulf Islands (forgot which one). As a result the multipath interference was so bad in places like Kitsilano, Downtown, and the West End (their prime target areas where most of the local jazz fans resided) that the station was basically unlistenable off the air. Didn't Selkirk still own them at that point though?

I haven't seen anything on the CRTC site about Newcap getting an exemption or anything along those lines to dump the "specialty format" status on 100.7 in Winnipeg though. Of course, maybe nowadays it just as simple as making a phone call.
Dan Sys
Advanced Member

Postby skyvalleyradio » Tue Dec 26, 2006 8:04 pm

Dan Sys wrote:
Oh yes, I remember that very well. I also recall for the first few years of CJAZ's life they were on 92.1 with the tower located on one of the Gulf Islands (forgot which one). As a result the multipath interference was so bad in places like Kitsilano, Downtown, and the West End (their prime target areas where most of the local jazz fans resided) that the station was basically unlistenable off the air. Didn't Selkirk still own them at that point though? 

I haven't seen anything on the CRTC site about Newcap getting an exemption or anything along those lines to dump the "specialty format" status on 100.7 in Winnipeg though. Of course, maybe nowadays it just as simple as making a phone call.

Dan - the 92.1 transmitter was here on Salt Spring Is piggybacked on the CKVU ch 10 tower (I'm looking at it as I write this) After the move to 96.9 on Seymour, CJAZ was more listeneable in Vancouver, but the REAL "eye on the prize" was a flip to "97 Kiss FM" and yes, Rogers owned it at that time along with CKWX. If Rogers had tweaked the 92.1 signal into a directional antenna array aimed at Vancouver, it would have served the city with a better signal.
skyvalleyradio
Advanced Member

Postby Dan Sys » Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:53 pm

The following is a copy of a reply from the CRTC that a friend in Winnipeg received regarding the format change at CAFE 100.7 (CHNR are the original call letters of the facility).

......................................................................................................

To: ____________
Sent: Wednesday, December 27, 2006 1:12 PM
Subject: Your message of 12/26/2006 4:13:22 PM (Case ID 326837)

Dear Mr. ____________:

Thank you for taking the time to contact the CRTC.

When CHNR-FM was initially licensed, the applicant agreed to a Condition of License (CoL) that 40% of the musical selections aired on the station would be from the Specialty category (music category 3). The other 60% can be from Category 2 (most popular music including country). When Newcap acquired the station last year, this CoL was maintained. For your reference, here is a link to the decision which approved the acquisition by Newcap:

http://www.crtc.gc.ca/archive/ENG/Decision.../db2005-554.htm

So long as the 40% Category 3 music requirement is met, the station would be in copliance with it's CoL concerning the type of music aired.

Concerning your other question, there is no regulation concerning the number of times a given selection is repeated. However, it is unlikely that any listeners would find that appealing and would likely not listen for very long.

I trust that I have answered your questions. Please let me know via the link below if you need any further information.

Sincerely,

Gary Krushen
CRTC Client Services

1-877-249-2782 / t?l?copieur/facsimile (819) 994-0218

............................................................................................................

It will be interesting to see how Newcap lives up to the 40% Music Category 3 requirement. They seem to be throwing in a lot of Classic Country, but the definitions for Category 3 state that it includes old-time country music recorded before the 1950s, and traditional bluegrass (haven't heard any of that on HANK).

Don't get me wrong, I think this whole specialty format crap should be done away with sooner than later, but until such time that might occur it should remain an even playing field for everyone that is stuck with one of these licenses. On the other hand maybe Newcap is just planning to be defiant here to show the powers that be exactly how ridiculous this whole thing has become.
Dan Sys
Advanced Member

Postby Aaron » Sat Dec 30, 2006 3:12 pm

I have to wonder how much Cat 3 Cafe was playing too.

The last time someone complained though (Rogers, when CHNR was ACish), The CRTC relied completely on CHNR's own self-analysis.
Aaron
Advanced Member

Postby nowjustahamradioguy » Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:34 pm

Hi Folks:

Sorry to come late to the party, but I just found Radio West the other day and registered.

I had the opportunity to read the submission on this ownwership transfer fairly closely.

Reading this now very old and dead thread, I just wanted to point out an error in the last post regarding the joint complaint filed by Rogers, Chum and Corus in which they alleged "The Breeze 100.7 FM" was in non-compliance with the restriction that 40% of the music played on-air did not come from Category 3.

The group stated that in their (mistaken and self-serving) belief, CHNR ... "The Breeze" had a history of non-compliance with respect to their Conditions of Licence and the licence should be allowed to fail financially and go off the air rather than being sold to Newcap, which had the potential to be a bigger competitor in the market than Radiolink Systems.

The joint submission was plain and simply a poor piece of research which did them nothing but damage and weakened their position as negative intervenors at the hearing in which Newcap was approved to purchase CHNR from Radiolink Systems.

The music list developed by the group after on-air monitoring, (based on a one week period,) failed to identify fully 30% of the music played on the station and the consortium stated openly they couldn't identify the material ...didn't have a clue what was being played... what a perfect way to lose the argument. All that needed to be done was find that 10% of the music which was provided by them on their own list fell into Cat 3, and their ship had a major hole in the hull. They were hung with their own rope so to speak.

"The Brreeze FM" as programmed by Russ Tyson was in full compliance with the Conditions of Licence in that 40% .. (plus a protection margin for songs which may be disallowed) fell into cat 3. That was backed up by playlists submitted to the CRTC by CHNR.

So the regulator, in their vast wisdom and understanding of the radio industry, chose to believe the CHNR & Newcap submission. Funny how that should work.

Had I been the one writing the cheque for the work done on the Rogers, Chum & Corus submission ... I'd be miffed at being ripped off.

You might find it interesting to note Corus had apparently explored purchasing CHNR, as did Global, but they were just too late and a dollar short.

I look forward to a response if there is still anyone out there on this forum.

Ham Guy
nowjustahamradioguy

Return to Manitoba