CJNU Winnipeg 93.7 Goes Live Sunday

Radio News from Manitoba

CJNU Winnipeg 93.7 Goes Live Sunday

Postby jon » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:34 am

Winnipeg Free Press - ONLINE EDITION
Nostalgia radio station moves to new frequency, stronger signal
By: Staff Writer
Posted: 08/26/2013 2:08 PM

The radio station CJNU, Nostalgia Unlimited, is moving to a new spot on the dial and a stronger signal for its easy-listening programming.

The station moves to 93.7 FM from 107.9 FM on Sunday, when it officially starts up a new 500-watt transmitter atop the 55 Nassau building in Osborne Village.

The station will also continue to promote many non-profit organizations through its sponsorship program. The Winnipeg Foundation is one of its community partners, but the station has also hosted live broadcasts from the venues such as the Stroke Recovery Association and Variety, the Children’s Charity.

The new frequency has been undergoing tests, and should provide a greatly improved signal compared to the old spot on the dial, the station said in a release.

The change also signals a move to a fully licensed radio station, a goal that began in 2006. Behind the initiative is the Nostalgia Broadcasting Cooperative, which -- under the terms of its old licence from Industry Canada -- had to be off the air more than once a month.

CJNU plays "easy listening nostalgia music" from the past 70 years.
jon
Advanced Member

Re: CJNU Winnipeg 93.7 Goes Live Sunday

Postby Eldon-Mr.CFAY » Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:43 pm

Hi Everyone,
Glad to hear this. I really like CJNU 93.7 FM an independent FM station serving Winnipeg now better than ever!!! Thanks very much for mentioning this. I have heard CJNU on my Grace Wi-Fi Internet radio and like their programming. Hope they become even more successful. They are one of Winnipegs best radio stations in my opinion. The other one I like which I have heard is FAB FM which RadioFan mentioned, good station too even though its not independently owned. FAB FM and CKRU FM (Kruz FM) Peterborough are two of my favorite large corporate owned stations in Canada and I like very few. The other one which I thought did an excellent job locally was 660 CFR All News in Calgary! Anyway interesting article about CJNU.

73s, All the Best,

Eldon
Bye . . Mr. CFAY "Frequently On The Frequency"
The CFAY Website: http://cfayradio.wordpress.com
CFAY Radio: http://tinyurl.com/l9qqmh
Eldon-Mr.CFAY
Advanced Member

Re: CJNU Winnipeg 93.7 Goes Live Sunday

Postby Anotherwpgguy » Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:31 am

I certainly wish them well as well.

It's good to see that Lee Smith's original idea for Canadian Special Events Broadcasting has done well based upon the CRTC's Licence Exemption Order 1993-45 which permits unlicensed operations at powers up to 50 watts on FM or 100 watts on AM. Placing his transmitter and antenna on the roof of the city's highest building in the middle of downtown Winnipeg gave an excellent signal even though limited to 50 watts ERP.

http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/1993/PB93-45.htm

And .... once they vacate their present frequency of 107.9 .... that freq becomes available for my all "Classic Soul and Motown" format.
Anotherwpgguy
Advanced Member

Return to Manitoba