It's COOL in the 'Toon

Radio News from Saskatchewan

It's COOL in the 'Toon

Postby radiofan » Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:27 pm

Saskatoon Media Group's Magic 98.3 and it's AC format are no more. At 1:00 CST this afternoon, the station relaunched as 98 COOL with a Classic Hits format which is very similar to Rawlco's UP stations in
Edmonton and Calgary, complete with the "Music That Makes You Feel Good" sell line.

SMG also has a great online streaming Oldies station, Cool Classic Radio.com that plays the hits of the 50s, 60s and 70s.

98 Cool Website

Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Re: It's COOL in the 'Toon

Postby radiofan » Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:39 pm

Magic 98.3 refocuses music mission as 98 Cool FM

BY JONATHAN CHARLTON, THE STARPHOENIX JANUARY 17, 2014

98 Cool FM radio personality Heather Morrison. Photograph by: Michelle Berg , The StarPhoenix

When station general manager Vic Dubois was listening to Magic 98.3 recently, he admittedly wasn’t quite sure what to think.

“I got Elton John singing a song from 1974 and the very next song that came on was Pink. Or, I turned it on the other day and I heard Katy Perry and the next song was the Doobie Brothers with a hit from 1972,” said Dubois.

So when the staff was considering what Magic 98 was all about, they thought, “Somebody’s going to say, ‘We really don’t know,’ ” Dubois said.

Dubois hopes that problem has been solved with a rebranding of the station set to take place Friday at 1 p.m.

The new 98 Cool FM will still feature a mix from across the decades, but tracks have been carefully narrowed to ones that make the listener “feel good,” Dubois said. That includes hits from ranging from The Beatles and The Beach Boys to The Black Eyed Peas and Michael Buble.

“I guarantee the listeners to Magic 98.3 will love 98 Cool,” said Dubois.

“It’s nothing that’s going to turn them off, but it should be more attractive to even more people.”

The new station will also cut its afternoon newscast and some talk features to make room for more music.

On-air talent will continue to include Heather Morrison and Steve Chisholm in the morning, Matt Bradley in the midday, Gregger in the afternoon and Vic Dubois on Sunday.

© Copyright (c) The StarPhoenix

http://www.thestarphoenix.com/entertain ... story.html
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Re: It's COOL in the 'Toon

Postby Rocky » Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:41 pm

Hmm, I guess it's good that they spell COOL with a "C" unlike the former 62 KOOL, the last incarnation of 620 CKCK Regina.

I wish their afternoon host was on TV . . .
Rocky
Advanced Member

Return to Saskatchewan