Saint John Radio Strike Has Tentative Agreement

Radio News from New Brunswick, Nova Scotia. Prince Edward Island and Newfoundland

Saint John Radio Strike Has Tentative Agreement

Postby PicturesForYourEars » Wed May 28, 2014 4:59 pm

SAINT JOHN, N.B.- After being off the job for nearly two years, seven unionized employees at three Saint John radio stations are expected to be back at work next month.

The Canadian Media Guild says a tentative four year agreement has been reached between the workers and Maritime Broadcasting System which owns Kool 98, K-100 and CFBC.

The seven employees went on strike in June of 2012 after failing to reach a first ever contract with the company. The Media Guild ended the strike earlier this month but the company proceeded to lock the workers out.

The union says the tentative deal includes a signing bonus and new wage scales along with provisions for job security.

The deal states the workers will be back on the job June 16th.

/

Personal note: Its sad when unions are necessary in a creative environment because of the existence of a really bad employer.

I feel really bad for Donnie-In-The-Morning Robertson (he has been doing the morning show on CFBC since I was there... back in 1976).
Donnie was 'awarded' a massive pay CUT when MBS purchased the stations and was forced into this fight with the employer.

No way to treat a legend who has given so much to the community for 40 years.... but he walked the picket line with the youngsters.
Sad.

/
...LEFT PLACES I SHOULDA STAYED,
STAYED PLACES I SHOULDA LEFT...
PicturesForYourEars
Advanced Member

Re: Saint John Radio Strike Has Tentative Agreement

Postby jon » Wed May 28, 2014 9:23 pm

Based on what I saw in Vancouver in the late 1960s, I am surprised and pleased that both sides have come to an agreement.

I was told it was quite common back then, but all I know about is the little company across the alley from where I worked my summers on Clark Drive. After two years, there were only three fellows left to walk the picket line from the original 8-10 staff (all non-management employees) that agreed to unionize. I never heard what finally happened, as the company I worked for was bought and moth-balled by a competitor. I always wondered if they were able to hold out another three years until the NDP government was elected, and if their new labour laws resolved the situation. Probably not, as the three talked about their dwindling strike pay, and they all had families to support.
jon
Advanced Member

Return to Atlantic Canada