An interesting thought from Marty Forbes

Radio news from Alberta

An interesting thought from Marty Forbes

Postby Blabbermouth » Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:38 pm

Blabbermouth
Advanced Member

Re: An interesting thought from Marty Forbes

Postby jon » Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:33 pm

Interesting to finally see it in writing. Marty and I discussed this, at some length, at the last Edmonton Broadcasters Club Luncheon (mid-April).

His main point, or at least the one that caught my attention, is that few, if any, broadcast schools even touch on Social Media skills as it relates to part of your duties at a Radio Station, especially for the on-air folks.

Here is his article, and the related CRTC submission, in full:

Time for the CRTC 'REVIEW OF RADIO' to take place....
Last summer I very proudly spoke to the Broadcast Educators Association of Canada (BEAC) at their convention in Banff, Alberta.

At the conference the theme (borrowed from Justin Timberlake) was "It's Time to Bring Sexy Back!" and we chatted about the glory days of AM radio in the 1960's through the 70's - with stations like CHUM, CFTR, CHED, CKXL, CKLG, CFUN - to name just a few - then the launch and introduction introduction of FM and legendary stations like CFOX - K97 - CHUM FM - Q107 etc. into the early 1980's.

However over the past five or so years with consolidation the 'downsizing' of radio has been immense.

Consultant Steve Kowch states that it is now well over 3,700 people who have lost their jobs in that time period. Lately many of those being laid off are highly experienced veterans, great teachers and mentors to the entry level people just entering the broadcasting business.

At the end of the conference I suggested that the Review of Radio was imminent.

(Well in CRTC terms "in the next year or so.")

There hasn't been a review of the rules in our country in well over a decade.

Canadian Content rules haven't been adjusted in that time period as well. Not having an active Canadian Association of Broadcasters hasn't helped either.

And digital is 'here.'

So I suggested "this" following idea at the convention.

After 44 years of assisting Canadian musical talent to get airplay on Canadian radio I think we are now in 'emergency' mode and suggest that it's the OTHER 20 minutes per hour (or less on some stations) that needs our support now.

The on air announcers.

The news people.

The 'verbal' part of the radio station where seemingly 'most' of the cuts are being made to radio stations.

The spoken content "is Canada."

It's our towns. It's our cities. It's our news. It's our sports. It's our communities.

With the the 1.8 Billion dollar Astral deal a few years back - and the 3.4 billion dollar Bell deal there's likely more money in the Canadian Talent Development (CTD) fund now than could be spent in a decade under the current structure.

Musicians have enjoyed the Cancon benefit for a full 44 years now - so it's time to focus on the on air talent that makes radio stations 'important' for the listener. (No disrespect meant to Canadian musicians)

Lets not let this money go to waste.

Let's help get some of that CTD cash directed to broadcast schools from coast to coast so that they can help us 'bring some sexy back' to a great industry.

And let's help our broadcast schools ready themselves - and their students - 'for the evolution to digital' - and make it part of the course to stay relevant to the move from traditional to digital broadcasting.

Here's the actual application to the CRTC penned by BEAC - and we await the CRTC announcing a date when they will begin their coast to coast discussion with Canadians about what they want to hear on their local radio stations. Watch for the CRTC announcement and if you'd like to assist us in any manner PLEASE contact the email's listed at the bottom of the document.

Thanks....

Marty Forbes
President - Radiowise Inc.

*The Forbes Family collectively have approximately 160 years of radio experience in Canada. My late Father Jerry Forbes is in the CAB Hall of Fame. I received Broadcaster of the Year recognition by the WAB in 2008. Brother Gerry was recently inducted into the WAB Hall of Fame - and Brother Gord spent time in the record industry early in his career as well. All of us have proudly earned several prestigious awards for our creative/production/community service work including the Queen Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee Medal. We each have worked for companies like Moffat, CHUM, Standard, Selkirk, WIC, and other 'great' radio companies.
To say we have 'compassion' for the business is simply an understatement.*
Twitter handles: @mjforbes @gcforbes @flapjack92

---

December 2013
Submitted Electronically
John Traversy
Secretary-General
Canadian Radio-Television and Telecommunications Commission
Ottawa, Ontario
K1A 0N2

Re: Broadcasting Notice of Consultation CRTC 2013- 558

Call for comments on the Commission’s approach to tangible benefits and determining the value of the transaction.

Intervention from the Broadcast Educators Association of Canada/Association Canadienne des Educateurs en Radiodiffusion (BEAC/ACER).
Objective:

We are requesting the Commission allow post-secondary institutions training in broadcasting and related fields to access funds from tangible benefits at the time of transfers of ownership with greater flexibility.

BACKGROUND AND PROPOSALS FOR REVISIONS TO POLICIES:

(1) The Broadcast Educators Association of Canada/Association Canadienne des Educateurs en Radiodiffusion (BEAC/ACER) represents almost two dozen colleges and universities from B.C.I.T. in Vancouver B.C. to N.S.C.C. in Halifax. The programs offered by these post-secondary institutions provide broadcast and digital media education to approximately 4,000 students a year. In effect, we are the industry's human resources department, providing new, highly-trained employees for broadcasting and related industries. Our graduates are the ones providing content for the expanding number of media platforms. Demand for these employees is increasing as the boomer generation retires, despite the recent challenges fueled by recessionary times.

(2) Broadcast and media education faces the same daunting challenges as a tidal wave of change moves through the industry. The challenge is securing the on-going funding needed to keep up to date on current technology and industry trends. It is imperative that schools keep current if we are going to continue to produce entry level, multitasking, content producers for the broadcast industry. Particularly challenging is the need to upgrade our television facilities to digital and high definition technology from the current standard definition equipment that has been in use for years.

(3) We believe two enhanced opportunities for funding can be developed with minor policy changes by the Commission. This submission addresses one of them: CRTC policy currently speaks to "tangible benefits" at the time of transfers of ownership for only “Scholarships”. We propose a change in the wording found in Public Notice CRTC 1993-68, “APPLICATION OF BENEFITS TEST AT THE TIME OF TRANSFERS OF OWNERSHIP”,“APPENDIX”, under “INITIATIVES GENERALLY ACCEPTED AS TANGIBLE BENEFITS”, in section “c) Grants and Contributions”. The specific wording in question currently reads “Scholarships in broadcasting or broadcast-related fields also constitute tangible benefits.”

We suggest that this wording be changed to read “Scholarships and capital grants to provincially-administered post-secondary educational institutions training in broadcasting or broadcast-related fields also constitute tangible benefits.” The important proposed change here is to allow “capital grants” to qualify, thus allowing broadcasters to help create new facilities and introduce current technology and equipment to the schools that provide our industry’s future employees.

(4) A companion proposal, regarding CCD contributions, was submitted in July 2013 in response to the call regarding Radio Regulations and Canadian Content Development (CRTC 2013-298).

(5) Media and Broadcasting Programs are devoting more instructional time and research to digital media. There has been a paradigm shift in the way Canadians are getting information. Consolidation has left fewer players in broadcasting and Canadians are turning to non-traditional forms for getting information. With fewer players there are: fewer opportunities, fewer hours of live programming and fewer entry level jobs. This dynamic change also puts pressure on the colleges and universities to produce job ready graduates. It is a challenge for our programs to keep up with the rapidly developing new media world. The massive growth of digital media and the migration of traditional broadcasting to digital means we will need to adjust the way students are educated and how they flow through the system. The importance of Journalism and the requirement for grads to have many talents can’t be understated. Radio and television broadcasting grads are getting jobs in broadcast newsrooms and are all contributing stories to digital media.

(6) Provincially administered post-secondary institutions have the facilities to carry out research and train the content producers of tomorrow. Without capital investments our programs will suffer.

(7) The immediate effect of these changes will be that broadcasters will have the opportunity to at least consider allocating some of their commitments to local or regional broadcast schools. A number of our broadcast industry colleagues have asked if they could provide this kind of support to us in recent years, while meeting Commission expectations under these policies, something that has encouraged us to move forward our concepts and proposals.

(8) At this time, the restriction of these allocations to scholarships benefits the very few, very top students in our programs. By making these changes, the Commission and industry will see those benefits have the potential for extending to the entire student body in a program—in some programs, that means hundreds of students.

(9) Certainly, we expect broadcasters will continue to provide support for our top students in the form of scholarships, but we also anticipate they will embrace the concept of making commitments that benefit the many, not just the few. Our proposed changes, if accepted, will benefit our students, our donors who will employ them, our overall industry, and ultimately, the listening and viewing audiences of Canada. And these concepts provide an opportunity for the Private Sector to contribute to the development of their future employees. That said, this is not intended to provide a platform for training existing staff at broadcast and related operations.

(10) There is precedent for this, for example BCIT's BCE/CTV New Media Centre of Excellence, and Fanshawe's Music Industry Arts program facility, both of which were created with capital grants approved by the Commission in tangible benefits allocations. However, while these successful investments have been achieved under current wording, we have found several potential donors to be hesitant to make capital tangible benefits commitments based on precedence. They seek some written guarantee that their commitment has the potential to meet with Commission approval based on specific wording in the policies.

(11) We believe strongly our "case for change" is compelling and will contribute positively to the growth of our education programs, ensuring our graduates are appropriately prepared for contributing to a rapidly changing broadcast industry landscape. We recognize the dramatic difference in the way people are consuming media and are looking for the Commission to recognize the job educators are doing to prepare future broadcasters for that new reality.

(12) We request the opportunity to appear at the upcoming hearing addressing this policy, and look forward to providing a very compelling presentation to the CRTC. We are enthusiastic about this important opportunity to update the Commission on our hard work in the industry.

President, Dan Pihlainen
BEAC-Broadcast Educators Association of Canada
pihlaid@algonquincollege.com

CONTACT INFORMATION:

BEAC President Dan Pihlainen: pihlaid@algonquincollege.com

Dan Pihlainen, Coordinator/Professor
Radio Broadcasting Program,Algonquin College
N101-1385 Woodroffe Avenue, Ottawa K2G 1V8
613-727-4723 ext 5560

BEAC Western Director Richard Stroobant: richard.stroobant@sait.ca
Marty Forbes: mjforbes@me.com
Brian Antonson: brian_antonson@hotmail.com

***End of Document***
jon
Advanced Member

Postby Tom Jeffries » Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:49 pm

I agree with Mr. Forbes. (Never had the pleasure) - the CRTC has stood around with their hands in their pockets, while the entire Industry has literally eviscerated the "announcer" profession. They obviously care about the Owners making money and could care less about the poor schnooks whose talent makes them money in the first place.

Since we stupidly adopted the American model of ownership (*huge mistake on both sides of the Border) - it has been a disaster for the people that worked in the Industry. Wages and Bennies dropped and all the Broadcast companies care about is the shareholder and making sure the big shots get rich.

The use of interns and the treating the professionals like garbage made me realize that this was a mug's game, and the owners hold all the cards.

If other Industries tried some of radio's tactics, there would be a stink.

Meanwhile, great people are getting the chop.

(*I am still steamed at the gall of some people). Firing Brian Henderson while they took him to Tim Horton's for a java, after decades of stellar work, shows what we are dealing with.

I have a very smart friend, who shall remain nameless - but is a Radio Vet and now a highly paid consultant....AND....he knows where the bodies are buried - a great guy.

When he gets some smart ass 30 year old Brand Manager, who is too lazy to check on this guys 38 year career, saying - "So tell me about yourself" - he says - "No - you first".
Tom Jeffries
Advanced Member

Postby albertaboy4life » Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:28 pm

I like what Marty proposes and would like to go further.

I'm grappling with political and economics viewpoints that push me to not dictate minimum staffing standards to an industry but I think the case could be made that there is a market failure at play.

I would really like to see tougher promise of performance requirements for broadcasters in addition to helping our broadcasting schools keep up with technology.

As an example, there was an incident in BC where a radio station was on auto pilot during a community emergency and the local government officials had to literally break into the station's offices to alert the public of the imminent danger. This sort of event is shameful. The airwaves are a public resource and there should be a commitment to deliver local news not just during emergencies.

We know the power of radio in events like the terrible winter blizzards Lethbridge, Alberta has seen in the past and the yeoman's service CJOC AM delivered in the '60s and the current CJOC FM in this century. We know what happens when that power is not used appropriately when considering the 2013 floods in Calgary and News Talk 770's simulcasting of 630 CHED Edmonton for days on end while 660 News and CBC Radio Calgary busted their butts to help their listeners.

The latest example of my frustration with the CRTC not looking beyond counting songs that meet Canadian Content Requirements is the hesitation to require broadcasters to join the National Public Alerting System (NPAS). This should be seen by the CRTC and broadcasters as a mandatory public duty.

Licensees should have to commit to more than simply playing XX% Canadian Content and $XXX,XXX . . . for "talent development." The last two license winners in Calgary (Pattison) and Cranbrook (Clear Sky - they also committed to deliver the most local news) committed to giving the most money and playing the most Canadian content of the bidders in their respective round of hearings. It's time there was a different "price" for having a license.
Faster cars, younger women, older cheese, more money . . .
albertaboy4life
Advanced Member

Return to Alberta