Toronto Radio Legend Don Berns passes

Radio News from Ontario

Toronto Radio Legend Don Berns passes

Postby radiofan » Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:25 pm

Don Berns also know as Dr.Trance passed away Sunday March 1st
From NUMUZK.COM

Don Berns known for his role on air and around the Toronto electronic music scene as Dr. Trance also coined “the Godfather of the Toronto Rave scene” passed away Sunday March 1st. 2015

The news spread quickly as posts to his Facebook flooded in, many are shocked and torn over the sudden news of his death caused by heart attack . Most talk of his loving soul , great personality and the fact that his passing was too soon and unexpected

Don was American by birth–New England, he became a legendary Top 40 DJ working at dozens of radio stations from Kansas City to Buffalo from Dallas to Pittsburgh even in San Diego.

After talking to a personal friend of Don’s who found him in his home without any vital signs he responded with this

“Welcome to life. In this life, thousands, even millions of people may pass before your eyes. Unfortunately, most of them may never get noticed. If they do, it might be because you got angry at them for cutting you off in traffic. Then – there are those very precious few who show up – and in an instant – you like them. When it is time for a visit to end, you hang around at a front door, talking and talking … sometimes for 5 minutes, sometimes for a couple of hours more. These are the “Big Footprint People” that leave big impressions in your life. Don Berns … is one of those people. Though I have only known him since 2008, everytime was always fun. Even if he wasn’t in a fun mood. Thank you Don for being a friend. I knew you were for your heart, courage, strength and honesty. I hate the fact that has been so brutally underlined with your passing from the physical, which is having more of an impact than relatives who knew me longer. Maybe as you knew me better and, in your company, I could take off the mask and just … be. Yes Don. Like all rare birds- you have taken flight. In closing, Don McLean’s classic song “Vincent” is now playing … for obvious reasons.”

Read more and tributes from friends at: http://numuzk.com/2015/03/don-berns-als ... march-1st/
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Re: Toronto Radio Legend Don Berns passes

Postby Tom Jeffries » Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:49 pm

Don worked at CKLG for a time, did he not?
Tom Jeffries
Advanced Member

Postby Neumann Sennheiser » Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:05 pm

There was "a" Don Berns (..or Burns) at CKLG around 1976.
Since the Don Berns who has just passed was also at CFNY in T.O. it's possible it's the same person.
"You don't know man! I was in radio man! I've seen things you wouldn't believe!"
Neumann Sennheiser
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:22 pm

There is a Donny AKA Donnie Burns at CHUM in 1968, and CKGM Montreal just before coming to CKLG in the mid-1970s. He even sang in The Phantoms in Winnipeg in the early 1960s for CKY Sockhops.

All of which makes him sound too old to be Don Berns. Hard to say for sure.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby albertaboy4life » Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:17 pm

Donny Burns of CKLG and CKGM is not the same guy as Don Berns (with an "e").

You can see a video of Donny Burns at work at CKGM on Marc Denis' excellent Super 980 tribute site at http://www.marcdenis.com/ckgm-alumni.asp And he bears no resemblance physically or vocally to the late Mr. Berns.

Donny Burns also worked at CKXL. Just ask Littleric who sat in with Donny from time to time. He shared a story with radiofan and I of Donny Burns on CKXL taking a shot at then "chicken-rocker" CFCN Radio on air telling 1060 to eat their heart out as Donny hit the post on another hit CFCN wouldn't play.

Pretty sure, Donny was at CKXL prior to CKLG.
Faster cars, younger women, older cheese, more money . . .
albertaboy4life
Advanced Member

Postby Tom Jeffries » Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:35 pm

Thanks for the info. It is sad to lose another of the Brotherhood.
Tom Jeffries
Advanced Member

Postby Mike Cleaver » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:38 pm

Yeah, Donny Burns was at XL for a short time in 71 when I was doing morning news there.
I was only there for nine months and he was one of three morning men I worked with during that time.
I last saw Donny at the CHUM 50th Reunion in Toronto.
Don Berns never worked in western Canada but worked at a few US Stations and was best known for his years at CFNY. He was a man of many talents, accomplished actor, comedian, radio disk jockey and DJ for huge parties and raves in Toronto, known as Dr. Trance.
I am proud to call him a friend.
Facebook was on fire with tributes to him all day.
All of us who worked with him and knew him will miss this very funny and big hearted guy.
Mike Cleaver Broadcast Services
Engineering, News, Voice work and Consulting
Vancouver, BC, Canada

54 years experience at some of Canada's Premier Broadcasting Stations
Mike Cleaver
Advanced Member

Return to Ontario