CKJS 810 Winnipeg asks to go to FM

Radio News from Manitoba

CKJS 810 Winnipeg asks to go to FM

Postby Shawndx » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:30 am

Application by Dufferin Communications Inc. for a broadcasting licence to operate an ethnic commercial FM radio station in Winnipeg to replace the ethnic commercial AM radio station CKJS Winnipeg.
The station would operate at 92.7 MHz (channel 224B) with an average effective radiated power (ERP) of 19,700 watts (maximum ERP of 35,000 watts with an effective height of the antenna above average terrain of 154 metres).
The applicant proposes to broadcast, in each broadcast week, ethnic programming directed towards at least 19 cultural groups in no less than 16 different languages.
The applicant requests permission to simulcast the programming of the new FM station on CKJS for a period of three months from the date of implementation of the new station.
Further, pursuant to sections 9(1)(e) and 24(1) of the Broadcasting Act, the applicant requests the revocation of the licence of CKJS effective the end of the simulcast period.

Soon Winnipeg will be AMless with only CJOB 680 CBW 990 and CFRW 1290 being left on AM.
Shawn Axelrod VE4DX1SMA
Winnipeg MB
amandx (@)mymts.net
REMEMBER ON A CLEAR DAY YOU CAN HEAR FOREVER
Shawndx
Advanced Member

Re: CKJS 810 Winnipeg asks to go to FM

Postby jon » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:30 pm

Still haven't heard CKSJ-810 from here in Edmonton. KGO still owns 810 here.

CBW is strong here. CFRW is strongest on day pattern, during the months when sunset in Winnipeg is not too much earlier than Edmonton sunset. CJOB pops up at night much more than I expected, in KNBR's null.

Outside of Winnipeg, I also regularly get Manitoba stations on 730 (CKDM), 920 (CFRY), 950 (CFAM) and 1220 (CJRB). The latter two really stand out during their all night show, which is all classical music. CKLQ-880 has a killer signal whenever CHQT is off the air, but only near sunset while they are still on day pattern.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby sparkycivic » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:36 pm

92.7 FM, that's on-channel with CBC Radio 2's Class C Brandon transmitter CBWS-FM.
sparkycivic

Postby Shawndx » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:29 am

This may explain why CKYZ-FM on 92.9 is still testing on 88.7 as CKYN-FM with different streams. By the way 92.9 is stereo and 88.7 mono at the moment.
I suppose the TIS application on 92.7 for Winnipeg Transit which I have never heard is now toast.
And yes Brandon CBC FM is 92.7. Should not make a big difference except maybe in the summer as that is the only time I hear Brandon here in Winnipeg.
Shawn Axelrod VE4DX1SMA
Winnipeg MB
amandx (@)mymts.net
Shawndx
Advanced Member

Re: CKJS 810 Winnipeg asks to go to FM approved

Postby yoshi » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:08 am

yoshi
Advanced Member

Postby Shawndx » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:13 am

Yes another AM going to FM. Not that I am complaining because I do get a new AM frequency to DX.

92.7 will have to move as it is not protected. Maybe they will just keep 88.7. I never knew why or how they got two frequencies after the CRTC turned them down. These sort of temp stations on FM that go around the CRTC are a nuisance. They are not a TIS as advertised unless TIS can now do lots of music as programming.
Shawn Axelrod VE4DX1SMA
Winnipeg MB
amandx (@)mymts.net
Shawndx
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:57 pm

Hard to believe that you'll hear much except WHB from Kansas City on 810 after CKJS leaves the air. They are only 5KW night but very tight directional lobes, one directly at Winnipeg and the other to the South, so it will sound like 50KW to you.

Bad night for KGO a couple of nights back, and a better radio (Sangean PR-D5), so I was able to hear WHB for the first time here, and a tentative CKJS just before WHB took over KGO's null.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby Shawndx » Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:56 am

CKJS got an extension to Nov 2021 for the move to FM. Not sure why but they will be around for a lot longer for you to catch them as DX.
Shawn Axelrod VE4DX1SMA
Winnipeg MB
amandx (@)mymts.net
Shawndx
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:13 am

Shawndx wrote:CKJS got an extension to Nov 2021 for the move to FM. Not sure why but they will be around for a lot longer for you to catch them as DX.

According to IRCA DX Monitor:
An extension to November 30 2021 has been approved for the move to FM, but it is
three months earlier than the station's estimated completion date. Rather than
leasing space on a shorter Rogers tower, as originally approved, CKJS-FM is now
approved to operate on their own land with less power on a taller tower. All of that
coupled with the usual three month AM-FM simulcast period, means that CKJS-
810 should be available for two more DX seasons.
jon
Advanced Member

Return to Manitoba