Major changes at Harvard Regina

Radio News from Saskatchewan

Major changes at Harvard Regina

Postby Justaprairieguy » Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:08 am

Major changes are happening at Harvard Broadcasting in Regina.

Willy Cole, the longtime morning host and program manager for CKRM has announced his retirement. Willy originally worked at CKRM in the early 1970s later leaving for CFCN/Calgary only to return to CKRM in 1978. Willy Cole has been the longest serving morning host in Regina radio history. He will wrap up his over 40 year career at the end of January.

Michael Olstrom has resigned as station group manager for Harvard Broadcasting effective immediately. Michael Olstrom will be joining Astral Media Regina (Big Dog 92.7) in the new year as station manager.
Justaprairieguy
Advanced Member

Re: Major changes at Harvard Regina

Postby radiofan » Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:38 pm

Is the timing coincidental or is there some chance Willy will be joing Olstrom at Big Dog?
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby WPGGUY » Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:11 pm

I see that Cam Cowie has managed to push Michael Olstrom out of Harvard, I suppose that means he can micro manage everything now with Michael out of the way… Congrats to him for the new gig at Astral’s big dog in Regina

Congrats to Perry Nyhus who I hear is taking over as PD for Willie Cole... I wonder if he will take over the morning shift as well...
WPGGUY
Advanced Member

Postby Justaprairieguy » Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:27 pm

A blog entry from Bob Hughes:

Willy Winds it Up - Say it Ain't So!

Mornings are never going to be the same. Who is going to talk me to out of my sleepy state? Who will cavort on the air with the glib guy from the big auto dealership at the north tip of the city, even though he calls its location "In beautiful downtown Regina."? Who will do those weekend remotes like nobody else has, or can?

When I got word through a top-secret email that Willy Cole was retiring as Regina's longest running morning radio host, I blinked more than once. Willy Cole is not supposed to retire. Never. He's more than a fixture in this joint. He IS this joint. He is everybody's morning cup of coffee. He's the province's wakeup call. More people have awakened with Willy than models have with Hugh Hefner.

At the end of January, Willy will sign off on CKRM forever, and it isn't fair. There should be a law against it. Somebody start a petition. Why, I told my aunt at her Hillsdale estate the other night that Willy was retiring and she huffed, "Oh damn! I like him. What am I going to do? I might have to change stations. Where is he going?"

Well, I don't think he's going anywhere. He won't have to get up and drive to work in a blizzard at three in the morning anymore. "I'm not sure when the right time is to retire," Willy told me. "I've been thinking about this for some time and I think now is the time to do it. I've had a great run."

Willy always made you feel as if he was sitting on your bedside when you woke up, or sitting next to you in the car as you drove along. Sometimes, he even talked to you. One morning, I was driving to Nicky's in the early morning and I drove by CKRM, and stopped at the corner of Rose and 12th for a red light. I had Willy on the radio. "There's Bob Hughes," he said, "I wonder where he's going? Maybe, he's going to get us a coffee."

Willy was everybody's friend during a radio career that spanned 42 years, most of it in Regina. He told you what the weather was going to be like. He told you what streets to avoid. He gave recipes. He talked you down if the Riders blew another game. He would even sell an old stove for you on the Flea Market, perhaps one of the funniest shows in radio anywhere. And, Willy would make such fun of some of the people who phoned in it was hilarious, but never in a hurting or insulting way. Everybody knew that Willy was their friend. You figured he never even killed a fly. He'd tell him a joke instead. Even though he was on radio, you could see him sitting there, with that smile, and the twinkle in his eyes.

Willy Cole spent his whole career making people feel good when they started their day out. He gave out more good moods than anybody in radio, just by being Willy Cole.

It seemed like Willy has always had partners on radio. For years, he and Fred King, the unofficial Mayor of Regina Beach, had the province rolling in the aisles with their morning banter. In more recent times, it's been Jamie Lewis who has saddled up with Willy in the mornings. Same results.

But, you wouldn't just find him on radio. If anybody was Mr. Community, it was Willy Cole. He was everywhere, all at once it seemed. You figured there had to be more than one of him. From the high-rise Plaza of Honour Dinner to a fund-raiser in some church basement hall, Willy Cole was at the microphone, keeping the show going. He was a sideline reporter during Rider broadcasts, and if the Riders were in the Grey Cup, so was Willy.

In many ways, he was larger than life. But, in most ways, he was just Willy. The guy had no ego. He was as at home chatting with the premier of the province as he was sitting in the back room at the Northgate Bakery and having a drink with his buddy Wav.

He led the league in dishing out kind words. He lapped the field in being a nice guy. He was the Poster Boy for Warmth and Sincerity. He was everybody's best friend, every morning. He had a smile for everyone, and it was always genuine.

Willy Cole wasn't born with a booming radio voice. He wasn't one of those guys whose personality acted like a shield when he walked into a room. Willy Cole was as down to earth as they come, and that's what came through the radio at you. You felt comfortable listening to him. You couldn't get enough. And, now he is snatching it away from all of us who listened to him, just like that.

There shouldn't be a sunset for guys like Willy Cole to ride off into. But, you know, he does deserve it. He has worked hard for it, even if it never seemed like work to those who listened to him. He was a natural.

They will never replace him. You know that. He was the original. You know what they say. There is only one original Mona Lisa. One Empire State Building. One Willy Cole.

Maybe, what they should do come February 1st, is put together a series of shows called, "The Best of Willy Cole." It would last for 42 years, and everybody would be happy. I predict that on the morning of January 31st, CKRM's morning ratings will go through the roof. Because it will be the end of an era, the last chance to listen to him. Yeah, Willy has had a great run, as he said. But, so have have we who eves-dropped.

Really, there is only one Willy Cole.

Bob Hughes blog: http://www.exitrealtyfusion.com/bob-hughes.html
Justaprairieguy
Advanced Member

Postby Justaprairieguy » Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:39 pm

Willy Cole recently responded to the Bob Hughes blog about his retirement.

From the 620 CKRM website:

END OF A YEAR, END OF AN ERA!
December 30th, 2010

I’ve attempted to keep this announcement quiet. But when Tom Shepherd and Bob Hughes get their mitts on something, the world knows. It is official. As of January 31, 2011, I will officially retire from broadcasting after 42 years, 33 of which were at (620/980) CKRM. This has been my home for over half my life. I want to thank (Tight)George Gallagher for believing in me enough to have given me this opportunity. The Hill Company has continued to support my endeavours.

It truly has been the time of my life. I want to thank the many well wishers who’ve emailed, texted, called and posted comments. I have been overwhelmed by the comments. However, none has touched me more than Bob Hughes current editorial for Exit Realty along with his lovely wife Loretta (Real Estater extraordinaire). Here’s what Bob had to say.

(link to Bob Huges blog)

Bob, thank you from the bottom of my heart!

Willy
Justaprairieguy
Advanced Member

Return to Saskatchewan