Reporting on Yourself

Radio News from Ontario

Reporting on Yourself

Postby jon » Thu May 19, 2011 7:07 am

How would you report a News item about you or your family? A Regina TV News anchor is about to find out.

The closest that I've heard was the late Robert O. Smith's "live coverage" of the birth of his first child, on PM Drive, on KOL Seattle circa 1970. But, somehow, it is just not the same as this.

From the News wires this morning:
A drunk driving-related charge has been laid against a Regina television news anchor.

Regina police say Manfred Joehnck (JOH'-nihk) was charged after a motorcycle was allegedly struck from behind by a car last Saturday afternoon.

A man driving the motorcycle suffered minor injuries.

Joehnck will be in court May 26th.
jon
Advanced Member

Re: Reporting on Yourself

Postby Buckley » Thu May 19, 2011 11:20 am

"Police are saying I was charged with impaired driving after witnesses reported a vehicle rear-ending a motorcycle on Saturday Afternoon. The guy I hit, er... the motorcycle rider was taken to hospital and is said to have suffered minor injuries. I'll be in court on May 26th, so hopefully Rich will work for me that day. Rich?"
Buckley
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Thu May 19, 2011 11:45 am

Buckley wrote:"Police are saying I was charged with impaired driving after witnesses reported a vehicle rear-ending a motorcycle on Saturday Afternoon. The guy I hit, er... the motorcycle rider was taken to hospital and is said to have suffered minor injuries. I'll be in court on May 26th, so hopefully Rich will work for me that day. Rich?"

Me thinks someone will be uttering the following words as they replace you: "It's Joe Schmo sitting in for Adam Buckley for the next 90 days as he serves his sentence for slandering a Regina TV anchor that he never even met. Hope you're listening at the Pen. Bowling Alley, buddy."
jon
Advanced Member

Postby Buckley » Thu May 19, 2011 1:04 pm

jon wrote:
Buckley wrote:"Police are saying I was charged with impaired driving after witnesses reported a vehicle rear-ending a motorcycle on Saturday Afternoon. The guy I hit, er... the motorcycle rider was taken to hospital and is said to have suffered minor injuries. I'll be in court on May 26th, so hopefully Rich will work for me that day. Rich?"

Me thinks someone will be uttering the following words as they replace you: "It's Joe Schmo sitting in for Adam Buckley for the next 90 days as he serves his sentence for slandering a Regina TV anchor that he never even met. Hope you're listening at the Pen. Bowling Alley, buddy."

First of all, it's libel. Second, it's a joke, based on what someone might say in the same situation. Touchy folks around here these days, eh?
Buckley
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Thu May 19, 2011 1:17 pm

Buckley wrote:it's a joke

So was mine. :oops:
jon
Advanced Member

Postby Buckley » Thu May 19, 2011 1:20 pm

jon wrote:
Buckley wrote:it's a joke

So was mine. :oops:

Touche sir... Touche.
Buckley
Advanced Member

Postby Paul P » Thu May 19, 2011 6:31 pm

jon wrote:How would you report a News item about you or your family? A Regina TV News anchor is about to find out.

So, he WILL be reporting on himself? I don't understand the question.... or the Robert O Smith reference for that matter.
Maybe its just me. ;-)
Being nice is my resolve - in 2012
Paul P
Advanced Member

Postby drmusic » Fri May 20, 2011 2:09 pm

Actually, as far as I can tell, CTV Regina is the only station to NOT have run this story. Manfred hasn't been at the anchor desk this week anyway.
drmusic
Advanced Member

Postby Stn Brk » Fri May 20, 2011 3:34 pm

Years ago, I remember hearing this old guy on radio in Kamloops - Gordie Rye.

He was also a council member, as in city council. and he was the radio station's council reporter.

His voice reports usually went something like this

At Kamloops council last night, councillors discussed 'x'. Councillor Gordie Rye had this to say. (plays clip of himself)
Discussion on this issue has been tabled. Gordie Rye, Kamloops.

That's how you know you live in a small town.
Stn Brk
Advanced Member

Joehnck resigns

Postby drmusic » Fri May 20, 2011 6:13 pm

CKCK mentioned it for (I believe) the first time tonight, to announce Joehnck's resignation

http://www.newstalk980.com/story/20110520/51314
drmusic
Advanced Member

Re: Joehnck resigns

Postby Buckley » Sat May 21, 2011 2:33 am

drmusic wrote:CKCK mentioned it for (I believe) the first time tonight, to announce Joehnck's resignation

That's kind of admitting guilt isn't it? I mean, if I were innocent of a crime I was charged with, I wouldn't resign from my job, I'd weather the storm. I think that's a tactical mistake unless he plans to plead no contest or guilty.
Buckley
Advanced Member

Postby drmusic » Sat May 21, 2011 5:33 am

"As a news anchor, I couldn't in good conscience put my face out there on television as the representative of CTV while I'm dealing with all of these other matters," he said.

Read more: http://www.leaderpost.com/news/Regina+a ... z1MzQFoeeC
drmusic
Advanced Member

Return to Ontario