Lorne King - Remember Him?

Your Updates for EdmontonBroadcasters.com

Lorne King - Remember Him?

Postby jon » Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:27 pm

I'm trying to piece together more details on Lorne King for EdmontonBroadcasters.com. At present, it says:
Lorne King - Production CJOC Lethbridge; DJ CJCA Edmonton 1960s.

Checking back in my notes, it says that Lorne was actually a DJ at CJOC, but was also Production Manager for his last few months at the station in 1968, then left for CJCA.

But I remember him from CHQT. A friend brought up his name yesterday, and I thought I understood him to say that Bobby Ng replaced Lorne in Afternoon Drive. Admittedly, that did not have to be the day that Bobby arrived from CJVB Vancouver in 1977.

A little Googling and I'm even more confused. Check out this mini-bio (with picture and aircheck!) at http://www.offshoreradio.co.uk/djsk.htm:
Lorne King Born on 1st February 1943 in Vegreville, Alberta, in Canada, his first radio experience was gained on CKSA, Lloydminster, Alberta. He also worked for its television sister station CKSA-TV and at live shows around the area. After a stint at CKRD in Red Deer, also in Alberta, and on CKRD-TV, Lorne set off on his travels to Europe and North Africa. He arrived in the UK at the end of 1966 and, on 7th February 1967, joined Radio London. He presented his first show the next evening, sitting in for Mark Roman. Lorne only stayed with Radio London for four months, returning to Canada at the end of May 1967. In October 2000 Ben Healy kindly got in touch to bring us up to date: “Up until recently Lorne worked on CJCA in Edmonton and has enjoyed a successful career on radio in the city for the past 30 years. He has now moved back to where he was born, Vegreville, which is about an hour's drive from Edmonton and is enjoying his retirement.” In July 2004 Lorne attended the First North American Pirate Radio Reunion in Vancouver, Canada.

Start and end dates at each station, and anything else would be really helpful from anyone with any more information. My friend also mentioned that Lorne King was just an air name, so I also wondered if anyone remembers Lorne's real name.
jon
Advanced Member

Re: Lorne King - Remember Him?

Postby Mike Cleaver » Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:30 pm

I was at CJOC from May 1st, 1967 until 1971.
Lorne King was not there during those years.
I believe he was in Calgary at that time, possibly at CFAC but I'm not certain.
Mike Cleaver Broadcast Services
Engineering, News, Voice work and Consulting
Vancouver, BC, Canada

54 years experience at some of Canada's Premier Broadcasting Stations
Mike Cleaver
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:35 pm

My notes were based on an anonymous post from several years ago, so they are certainly suspect.

Really appreciate the clarification.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:20 pm

Based on everything I've found or been given, here is the revised entry:

Lorne King - Announcer CKSA AM & TV Lloydminster; CKRD AM & TV Red Deer; DJ Radio London London, England February 7, 1967-May 1967; DJ Calgary; afternoon drive CHQT Edmonton 1974. Retired to Edmonton. Born Lorne Kassian in Vegreville on February 1, 1943.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby PMC » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:01 am

Jon, I saw a bit on Global Vancouver about Lorne King... perhaps someone from Global that did the piece also reads radiowest and can get you a real e-mail address for him. I don't recall who did the piece... it was about the pirate radio/movie etc. Perhaps Global Edmonton ran it...I met Lorne at CFAC, but can't recall any specifics.
PMC

Postby Take1 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:48 pm

I realize this is an old thread but just to set the record straight.

Lorne King was indeed in Lethbridge in 1968 but it was at television (then CJLH) not radio. It was a brief stay - only two or three months before he landed at CJCA. I don't remember the exact time frame but it would probably have been fallish. I started in July that year and Lorne came shortly after that. He was probably the last full time voice track announcer that the station had and did some fill in on-camera work but not a huge amount. Dan Taylor, who was also the Production Manager, had done the voice tracking up to that time and he replaced him when he was let go.

After Lorne left we started freelancing it out to the radio guys - among them Mike Cleaver and Jim Jackson.

And was Lorne's second time around in Lethbridge. Everyone was quite pleased to see him return but I don't know if the first time was radio or TV or the length of time.
Take1

Return to Edmonton Broadcasters