Bob Colling Passes

Your Updates for EdmontonBroadcasters.com

Bob Colling Passes

Postby jon » Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:25 pm

Original Title: Bob Colling hit by cancer

Bob Colling's cancer has now moved to his liver. He remains in good spirits. And a pair of Edmonton Broadcasters Club members are working on an interview to be captured on both audio and video.

Bob spent all of the 1950s and early into the 1960s at CKWX Vancouver, doing News. He then moved to Broadcast News in Edmonton where he spent a quarter century before retiring in 1991, choosing to remain in Edmonton.

There is lots more to come, but, for now, there are a few Bob pictures in a gallery on the Club web site:
http://edmontonbroadcasters.com/ebc/mem ... lling-bob/
jon
Advanced Member

Re: Bob Colling hit by cancer

Postby Mike Cleaver » Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:41 pm

All the best to Bob, with whom I worked during my stay at CJCA/K97 from '76 through '83.
Mike Cleaver Broadcast Services
Engineering, News, Voice work and Consulting
Vancouver, BC, Canada

54 years experience at some of Canada's Premier Broadcasting Stations
Mike Cleaver
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:03 pm

Just reading a line from Bob's self-written bio sheet for the Club that seems to echoes Mike's comment:
"I felt I worked for many radio & TV stations during my quarter century with BN...."

I also have just updated Bob's Broadcasters by Letter entry (on EdmontonBroadcasters.com) to read:

Bob Colling - Announcer/News/Operator CHWK Chilliwack, B.C. 1948; Lorne Greene School of Broadcasting 1949-50; Farm Editor CHLO St. Thomas, Ontario 1950-52; CKNW New Westminster, B.C.; CKMO Vancouver, B.C.; News CKWX Vancouver, B.C. 1956-66; Public Relations Pacific National Exhibition Vancouver, B.C. 1960s; Reporter Broadcast News Edmonton 1966-91. Retired in Edmonton. Born Robert Warner Colling.

I now have the Club's official bio of Bob on-line:
http://edmontonbroadcasters.com/ebc/mem ... lling-bob/
It is based on Bob's own words from October 2008.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:34 am

"All the best to Bob Colling. He and I worked as ink stained wretches before computers came to newsrooms. Bob would drop around to CHQT in the old building and then the high rise when he worked “round the corner” at BN. He always had a joke or two that ranged from a groaner to a giggle to a chuckle to an all out belly laugh. Every time I visited with Bob, he left me smiling. I can’t say that about many…and look at the man’s history in broadcasting. Bashful Bob never bragged about it." Ed Mason
jon
Advanced Member

Postby SColling » Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:43 am

My name is Steve Colling, the youngest of Bobs children. I came across this website yesterday and enjoyed the nice comments about my father. I want to thank those who have left kind words and thank you to all those who will take the time to read them and post a few comments of their own.
It is with sadness to tell you that he passed away peacefully yesterday November 7th 2010 at approximately 1:20pm. He was surrounded by his family and passed with the same quiet dignity he displayed through out his life. He loved the news game and all friends he made during those many years. I will pass on details of the service once arrangements have been made.

Thank you again
Steve Colling
SColling

Postby jon » Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:21 am

Here is how CHED News is reporting it this morning:

One of the people who worked behind the scenes to help us bring you the news from faraway places has passed away.

You likely never knew the name Bob Colling but to those of us who deliver the news to your house or car through the radio, Bob was the steady hand at the other end of the production line. He worked at Broadcast News...Canada's national news wire service...and from 1966 until 1991 whenever you heard the words "this just in", Bob Colling may have sent us the message that originated with other reporters in Ottawa, Washington, Beijing, London and points beyond.

Bob Colling signed off yesterday afternoon after a battle with cancer.
jon
Advanced Member

Re: Bob Colling Passes

Postby SColling » Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:40 am

To all of Bobs Friends and colleagues, Services will be held Friday November 12th 2010 at 11am at

Hainstock's Funeral Home & Crematorium
9810 34th Ave
Edmonton, Alberta
Canada T6E 6L1

In lieu of flowers Memorial contributions may be sent to Brail Tone Music Society of Canada
SColling

Return to Edmonton Broadcasters