Vancouver PPM Sept 1, 2014 - Nov 30 2014

Vancouver PPM ratings 12+

Re: Vancouver PPM Sept 1, 2014 - Nov 30 2014

Postby Roger Pedacter » Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:32 pm

Tom Jeffries wrote:The Radio Wars are going to get really interesting now. This is Christmas, and do you hear a ton of Christmas ads? I was in London Drugs today and it was a GHOST TOWN. SO, it follows retail sales in Media, suck.

And, umm, I was in Metrotown mall and it was packed. Ergo, retail sales in media, huge.
Roger Pedacter
Advanced Member

Postby Howaboutthat » Sat Dec 13, 2014 12:05 am

Tom Jeffries wrote:I was in London Drugs today and it was a GHOST TOWN. SO, it follows retail sales in Media, suck.

Were you in there all day counting people or just for a few minutes when most people were working? I'm guessing the latter, so you're basing your entire retail outlook based on a single visit to a single store. What a silly comment/analogy.
Houston, We're dealing with morons!.
Howaboutthat
Advanced Member

Postby Coolcat » Sat Dec 13, 2014 2:13 am

I have to agree with Tom. Only a few years ago malls used to be open until midnight in December now none are. Metrotown might be busy just from its nature of being a hub but other malls are really looking bad. It's sad but I can see malls taking a new format as online shopping is eating their lunch big time. Then again malls have been nickel and diming their merchants so much in the past that maybe that's their just deserts.

Lougheed Mall has already started it by getting rid of a bunch of stores and putting in a Steve Nash Fitness Centre and Brentwood Mall is has gutted about a third of the mall and putting in a bunch of towers and condos.

5 years from now I say you wont recognize most of the malls you shop at today.
Coolcat
Advanced Member

Postby Tom Jeffries » Sat Dec 13, 2014 12:07 pm

I could have gone on about how dead Denman Street is, and some of the stores downtown.....as more examples of moribund Retail, but I kept it short. Howaboutthat, I appreciate the kind words.
Tom Jeffries
Advanced Member

Postby tuned » Sat Dec 13, 2014 1:16 pm

I live downtown and I've noticed it's been a lot quieter than in past years. They seem to track retail sales pretty closely so it will be interesting to see how the numbers compare to past years. I think it's not going to be a banner year.
tuned
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:47 pm

I look forward to the Bell Media video release in the next few days. The info in that paints the real picture of where things stand.

You'd never know Christmas is just 12 days away if you're listening to CKNW. The usual barrage of Christmas ads for retailers isn't there. Few, if any national ads. Besides three or four spots an hour for C-Lovers Fish & Chips and sever promos each hour for Simi Sara's Book Club, there ain't a whole lot. Even former NW show host and regular Bill Good Show guest Caren McSherry has taken her Gourmet Warehouse advertising dollars to News 1130. Who's next, Shell Busey?

Speaking of London Drugs as Tom was in an earlier post, I too have noticed how slow things are in the two or three locations I shop at fairly regularly. More times than not, there isn't a checkstand open. The only place to pay is at the Customer Service counter. How things have changed.

If you're late in buying cards or wrapping paper, you're in luck ... it's already 50 - 60% in most places.This should be the big weekend for buying trees, at Loblaws Independent today, all trees were 50% off!.
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby Tape Splicer » Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:30 pm

While walking through Chilliwack's Cottonwood Mal today, and last Saturday, I noticed the foot traffic was steady but the mall was not packed wall-to-wall.
Last Saturdays big attraction was Santa in the mall.
People were moving in and out of the stores, I couldn't tell how much shopping was actually going on.
The Purdy's store was very busy with clerks working hard to keep up with the requests of customers.
I was in London Drugs last week ... The store is in the last stages of a rebuild and so finding ones way through the cones and blocked isles is interesting... There was lots of help available from staff.
Checking STAR-FM several times today and yesterday I am hearing Christmas music so I'll guess they are now "all Christmas, all the time" ....
Tape Splicer
Advanced Member

Postby Tape Splicer » Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:26 pm

To prove my guess, here is a list of more then an an hours titles played this evening on STAR FM....

8:14 pm Celebrate Me Home Kenny Loggins
8:10 pm The Christmas Song Michael Buble Buy
8:06 pm Do They Know It's Christmas? Barenaked Ladies
8:03 pm Last Christmas Cast of Glee
7:59 pm What Christmas Means to Me Cee Lo Green
7:55 pm Christmas With You The Wiebes
7:51 pm Christmas Eve Céline Dion
7:44 pm 2000 Miles Ali & Theo
7:40 pm Christmas Time Backstreet Boys
7:37 pm Christmas All the Time (Acoustic) Tom Cochrane
7:33 pm Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas Christina Aguilera
7:29 pm Sleigh Ride Roch Voisine
7:25 pm Joy to the World Train
7:23 pm Happy Holidays / It's the Holiday Season (Live) Andy Williams
7:14 pm Christmas Through Your Eyes Gloria Estefan
7:11 pm Someday At Christmas Stevie Wonder
7:07 pm Christmas Is Coming Payolas
7:05 pm Christmas (Baby Please Come Home) U2
7:02 pm Peace On Earth / Little Drummer Boy David Bowie & Bing Crosby
6:59 pm Home This Christmas (feat. The Band Perry)
Tape Splicer
Advanced Member

Postby Neumann Sennheiser » Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:16 pm

Ceelo Green? Backstreet Boys? the cast of Glee??!!
I used to say "I'm so grateful Jimi Hendrix never released a Christmas album"
...and then...this happened:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gF59w_7mKMM

"You don't know man! I was in radio man! I've seen things you wouldn't believe!"
Neumann Sennheiser
Advanced Member

Previous

Return to Vancouver PPM May 30, 2022 - August 28,2022