Happy Birthday News 1130

Bits and pieces of Radio History ... Features, sign ons, sign offs, format changes ... posting what we want!

Re: Happy Birthday News 1130

Postby johnsykes » Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:47 pm

Russ...congrats to you and your fellow employees. And please give my best to Richard D. I'll never forget what he did for me when he was at CFVR and I needed to re-connect with radio. And, too, my old friend from Montreal radio says, Andy Walsh....there are pros in this business and then there are those like Mr Walsh.
johnsykes
Advanced Member

Postby Russ_Byth » Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:56 pm

Hey John, thanks very much! I'll pass along your best to Mr. D. and you're right about Andy... a real gentleman and its been my privilege working with him! :)
Russ_Byth
Advanced Member

Postby cart_machine » Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:14 pm

Howaboutthat wrote: Geez Segue... I know you meant well, but all the names were spelled properly up above! ;) (Gordon and Bennie were not originals, though Bennie was close... Dettman might have been there on day-1, but I recall he went away for a while)

Poor Goddard. He gets no respect. And if Lyle Fisher wasn't there on day one, he arrived in the first week. His hair hasn't moved since.

Seems to me among the departed originals are Tom Mark, Brian Decker, Terri Theodore, Andrea Ring, Andrew Dawson, Jack Marion, Rick Quinton, Steve Darling, the late Brian Hill and Kevin the guy who went back to the Okanagan. Oh, and Herb Ham, who taught Mr. Byth everything he knows about business. Joanna Mileos was, more or less, there at the start. I'm not sure about Jim Patton.

Brian Brenn, Ted Schellenberg and Eric Westra were hired in the first year.

cArtie.
cart_machine
Advanced Member

Postby mightymouth » Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:17 pm

Russ_Byth wrote:Hey John, thanks very much! I'll pass along your best to Mr. D. and you're right about Andy... a real gentleman and its been my privilege working with him! :)

Russ, apart from getting a nice firm hanshake, was there any recognition of the few originals that are still left after 13 years? I see you got the Employee of the month award, :occasion7: but that has nothing to do with your longevity. Or does it?
Don't count the days, make the days count.
mightymouth
Advanced Member

Postby Russ_Byth » Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:21 pm

I checked with Lyle last week, and he said he wasn't around for a few months. Goddard was among those mentioned much earlier. Use the page back and scroll button C. Arthur.... you'll find it. Jack came over to News after Fred and Cathy's first departure. Nobody's sure about Patton! ;) You have to get that fixation with Herb Hamm checked out!
Mr. Mouth, the EOM came for apparently not keeping my head down during the economic collapse, and doing a lot of extra broadcasting in the early morning. :wink: I was pleased to receive it.
Russ_Byth
Advanced Member

Postby mightymouth » Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:30 pm

And so you should be. Much deserved. That's 26 and 56 isn't it? Don't want you to miss a chance at a plug. I've heard that Dettman is plenty pissed. But that's another bow tie story.
mightymouth
Advanced Member

Postby Russ_Byth » Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:36 pm

Look you...don't go starting something that doesn't exist. Richard and I get along great and are a good team. Thanks to all for their nice comments. :D I will now go back to my policy of not discussing anything pertinent to Vancouver radio. Besides... I have to get up in 6-1/2 hours!
Russ_Byth
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:38 pm

Does your alarm clock ring at :26 and :56?

With snooze button alerts every 10 minutes on the sixes?
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby cart_machine » Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:38 pm

Russ_Byth wrote:I checked with Lyle last week, and he said he wasn't around for a few months. Goddard was among those mentioned much earlier. Use the page back and scroll button C. Arthur.... you'll find it.

Page back? Scroll? Where's that on this typewriter?

Lyle told me he replaced some woman I've never heard of. That, and his hair hasn't moved since his arrival. And probably six or 12 years before that.

Russ_Byth wrote: Jack came over to News after Fred and Cathy's first departure. Nobody's sure about Patton! ;) You have to get that fixation with Herb Hamm checked out!

Jack was doing at least one half hour of AM after his F&C shift. After they bade farewell to Rogers, his role on AM was expanded a bit; I think Tom had him read an extra cast. I certainly remember hearing him the first week the station was on the air (a lot of wire copy and BN voicers). I've always liked Jack's sound.

Isn't Patton relaxing with a beer and wondering what those poor people in radio are doing?

And everyone loves The Hamm.

cArtie.
cart_machine
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:43 pm

Sticking with the News 1130 topic..

anyone recall who was the insider of the day today?

Allegra Miro
Carol Nguyen
Lewis Bailey

Thanks!
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby mightymouth » Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:50 pm

I think it was Herb Hamm. :mrgreen:
mightymouth
Advanced Member

Postby Howaboutthat » Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:53 pm

mightymouth wrote:I think it was Herb Hamm. :mrgreen:

One day this poor Herb guy is going to Google his name and this thread's gonna come up! :)
Houston, We're dealing with morons!.
Howaboutthat
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:56 pm

Wasn't there a Reuben Hamm in Calgary radio years ago?
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby Howaboutthat » Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:58 pm

radiofan wrote:Wasn't there a Reuben Hamm in Calgary radio years ago?

Nope, I think that was Reuben Sandwich, or was it Hamm n Cheese? :occasion7:
Houston, We're dealing with morons!.
Howaboutthat
Advanced Member

Postby mightymouth » Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:59 pm

There was a Reuben and a Hamm and cheese, but I don't know about a Reuben Hamm. There was also a Reuben James, but that's between him and folks around Madison County who cussed his name. :shock:
mightymouth
Advanced Member

PreviousNext

Return to Audio Memories