CKVN 1971

Jingles and IDs from Radio Stations in Western Canada and Washington State

CKVN 1971

Postby radiofan » Sat May 30, 2009 8:53 am

A few PAMS Series 41 cuts from Vancouver's CKVN (When a guy named Sykes was the PD!)

CKVN 1971
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Re: CKVN 1971

Postby Anotherwpgguy » Sat May 30, 2009 10:49 pm

Holy Jumpin' Catfish!

That's the package in use when I joined the happy crew at the corner of 4th and Arbutus.

The much beloved and talented Simon Ginsberg was the PD then.

Anotherwpgguy
Anotherwpgguy
Advanced Member

Postby Howaboutthat » Sat May 30, 2009 11:00 pm

Which happy crew was that? I recall the studios were at 4th and Cypress. (but it was the early 70s!) :)
Houston, We're dealing with morons!.
Howaboutthat
Advanced Member

Postby mightymouth » Sat May 30, 2009 11:03 pm

Howaboutthat wrote:Which happy crew was that? I recall the studios were at 4th and Cypress. (but it was the early 70s!) :)

The happy crew at 4th and Arbutus were the long-haired, pot smoking, Tom Campbell hating Hippies!!
Don't count the days, make the days count.
mightymouth
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Sat May 30, 2009 11:11 pm

It was actually 4th and Cypress .. across the street from the Merit gas station.

Didn't Simon Ginsburg spend most of his time running a T-Shirt company instead of programming a Top 40 radio station?
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby sparky » Sat May 30, 2009 11:31 pm

mightymouth wrote:
Howaboutthat wrote:Which happy crew was that? I recall the studios were at 4th and Cypress. (but it was the early 70s!) :)

The happy crew at 4th and Arbutus were the long-haired, pot smoking, Tom Campbell hating Hippies!!

Good old Tom Campbell. The first of a string of boneheaded idiots to warm the mayor's chair at 12th & Cambie.

A couple somehow moved on to become premier. Most of them shouldn't have been elected dog catcher.
"You get a bunch of clowns together and sooner or later you've got a circus"
sparky
Advanced Member

Postby mightymouth » Sat May 30, 2009 11:37 pm

sparky wrote:
mightymouth wrote:

Good old Tom Campbell. The first of a string of boneheaded idiots to warm the mayor's chair at 12th & Cambie.

A couple somehow moved on to become premier. Most of them shouldn't have been elected dog catcher.

When in doubt, and being threatened by the longhairs :shock: Send in the cops on horseback! :sad3: Ya got to love the Age of Aquarius, Peace, Love, Flowers, and Billy Clubs. Oh, come on, let's go to Stanley Park for the BE-IN. I was there, were you? :sad5:
Don't count the days, make the days count.
mightymouth
Advanced Member

Postby Anotherwpgguy » Sun May 31, 2009 6:26 am

1900 West 4th and Cypress ... thank-you. One of the people I work with now lived at 4th or 5th and Arbutus, and I was speaking with him about CKVN-CFUN and the early 70's Kitsilano lifestyle just a few days ago.

Although it was later to become cramped, that was a nicely laid out building for radio. If I had a buck for every joint that was smoked in the underground parking lot, I'd have been able to retire several years earlier .... LOL. Having an engineering dept background, I used to enjoy hanging around Stan Davis' engineering office in the basement just to see what they were working on.

Simon Ginsberg did indeed run a T shirt business "on the side" and regrettably the division of his attention did make for some frustrating times.

Interesting staff then too, which was to improve considerably when CHUM bought the station. Chuck McCoy arrived on the scene, Peter Benson and I did the promos for the "Don't Say Hello, say I listen to CKVN" contest that worked well, and we began to seriously kick ass in the ratings.

I was later to use that same CKVN jingle package for a LPFM "Special Events Station" venture in Winnipeg.

Thanks for the memories, that was a really fun time in my life!

Anotherwpgguy
Anotherwpgguy
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Sun May 31, 2009 7:54 am

Anotherwpgguy ... if you haven't been through the entire RadioWest.ca site, you might not have come across this yet ... the CFUN is Back special from September 30, 1973 ...
http://www.radiowest.ca/ckvntocfun.html voiced by Radio West member Mike Cleaver who was working at CHUM at the time.

This should bring back a memory or two.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Sun May 31, 2009 3:59 pm

Image - nice to see your new Avatar of an airplane toilet being flushed too soon after takeoff.
You may also be interested in how CKVN started - a tight scope of CFUN's last day and the start of CKVN's first: http://www.radiowest.ca/airchecks07.html
jon
Advanced Member

Postby Anotherwpgguy » Sun May 31, 2009 8:58 pm

Thanks for both of those links, I enjoyed them greatly. I missed the change to CFUN, as I was away training for my Commercial Plot Licence but returned in late May of the following year, and that's when I really had a good time there because we whipped a lot of radio ass and dominated the market. It was a very exciting time.

Lots of interesting names in there!

Longer reply tomorrow, super-tired after fighting forest fires this afternoon & evening for 7 hours of clock time, 4.4 hours of flying time with lots of "bomb loads" and quick mission turnarounds in that time.

Had a single beer with supper a few minutes ago, and I may as well be Snow White after a bite of the apple. I'll be doing a half roll to inverted onto the bed in a few more seconds!

Thanks again.

Anotherwpgguy
Anotherwpgguy
Advanced Member

Postby sparky » Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:25 pm

That's one hell of a chem trail on your avatar Anotherwpgguy!
"You get a bunch of clowns together and sooner or later you've got a circus"
sparky
Advanced Member

Postby Anotherwpgguy » Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:40 pm

Sparky, stop what you're doing ... you are either poking fun in some irreverent, mocking fashion, or leaking information about a Top Secret Saskatchewan government program to control the hearts and minds of the people of that great province. These people will also do their dastardly deeds for other governments under contract or some people suspect ... direct control by The Masons.

I'm told Chemtrails are nothing joke about, and have learned my lesson after commenting negatively on the concept of Chemtrails elsewhere on the internet.

I know very little about what is actually enclosed in those huge above ground tanks at the various Air Tanker Bases in Saskatchewan. While they are labelled "Retardant" there are persons far better informed than myself that say there is "something funny going on" when we drop a few thousand gallons of that stuff alongside a forest fire.

Personally. I think the Air Attack Officers have us drop retardant beside a fire not to limit its spread to other fuel sources, but to give flight crews enough time to escape the deleterous effects of the "so-called retardant" when it combines with the heat of the fire. The heat will cause vapours of the deadly brew to raise into the stratosphere, ....very high altitudes where the jetstream spreads it to the major population centres located southeast of Saskatchewan. We consult the weather maps regularly to ensure the proper drift track based upon the high altitude winds.....then go out and start a forest fire to cover our tracks while we engage in this fiendish plan.

Now that Sparky has blown the lid on this secret material, the truth may be told. Our designated target area is the heartland of the United States. By using the prevailing northwest winds, our chemicals can easily fall on the unsuspecting populace of Minneapolis, continue across the Windy City of Chicago, influence the Motor City, and Gotham. Finally the potion will reach our most favoured destination .... Washington DC.

Some heretic non-believers may poo-poo the concept of Chemtrails, but based upon recent posts on another broadcast forum, I'm becoming sympathetic to the concept that government agencies are indeed spraying the population with horrible body and mind altering chemicals.

Further, I am coming to realize that I may indeed be a dim-witted dupe of this government scheme to control the population, and am acting as aircrew in this unholy plot.

Please accept my heart-felt apologies for participating in the brutal rape of Goddess Gaia ... mother of all earthlings.

While I am deeply ashamed of having stood in line to gang-rape the Goddess Gaia, I can't help but be somewhat proud of the manner in which we bomber pilots do our dirty deeds (done cheap) ..... here is something for you to watch as my tanker goes to work saving a cottage and inumerable "Bambi's" in the forest.....which requires an entirely different skill set than saving various "Bambi's" from performing in strip clubs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBisqCINC2k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqbGbeano9o

Here is another link to similar work done by those weasels in BC as they test their chemical concoctions on helpless animals in the forests of British Columbia before using the stuff on people ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjkUCBrW ... re=related BC plans on dropping these chemicals directly on protestors who disagree with the province daming every watershed so the water can be sold to the highest bidder while BC residents go thirsty.

It is my fervent hope that a representative of PETA reads this post and organizes voiciferous protests over these experiments on the animal kingdom.

Regards to all,
Anotherwpgguy
Anotherwpgguy
Advanced Member

Return to Jingle(s) / ID of the day