CKVN 1971

Jingles and IDs from Radio Stations in Western Canada and Washington State

CKVN 1971

Postby radiofan » Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:14 pm

On this day in 1973 CKVN once again became CFUN as the CFUN calls were returned from Newcastle, NB .. Here's some 1971 CKVN jingles ...

CKVN 1410
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Re: CKVN 1971

Postby Anotherwpgguy » Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:12 am

Wowzers!

I haven't heard those in a long time.

Well after I actually used them on-air at 1410, in fact ... a few decades later, I edited them down to just the callsign, and used them on my "Low Power Special Events Radio" FM station that operated in the Winnipeg area for quite some time. http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/1993/PB93-45.HTM

The poor legal section of the CRTC had a difficult time with me finding they had failed to define what constituted a "Special Event" ... thus opening the door to an "actual station" being on the air for a 28 day on, 1 day off cycle while we moved equipment to another location and started all over again. It was really great fun, which lasted several years.

Its surprising how many people you can cover with 50 watts in mono from the roof of the tallest building in the city.

Good to hear them again. Thanks for posting.

Anotherwpgguy
Anotherwpgguy
Advanced Member

Postby hatchetking » Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:41 am

i like 'west coast weather' :tail

does any other station use that phrase

now or before
hatchetking
Advanced Member

Postby albertaboy4life » Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:24 pm

RE: West Coast Weather

Pretty sure CKLG/LG73 used that phrase at the close of its newscasts right up until the end.
Faster cars, younger women, older cheese, more money . . .
albertaboy4life
Advanced Member

Postby hagopian » Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:02 pm

I can just about see the wonderful blue and orange 'kitchen/smoking room - at the back door.

I can still hear J. Lee Smith chortle as he nailed another jingle/intro layover. I can still see Ron Abel explaining how to use an SLR Camera, between intro'ing "We're an American band" and nailing a jingle sweep into "Bang a Gong" - By T-Rex, getting in an hilarious aside,without missing a beat.
Latremouille is walking his Shepards before the Morning show, and it's raining - again.

The chicks on the request line. Rule number one - if they sounded like a babe, they looked the a Ruthian kind of Babe, or a female Joe Pesci. (*Sorry, is that sexist - I don't mean it to be).

Regular contest cheats, trying to outfox you to win another Anne Murray Album, or a pair of tickets to see The Stones at The Coliseum.

Watching Simon Ginsberg sweat when the police tried to shut down a hastily put together CKVN Concert at Alexandra Park.

Brother 'Boom Boom' Benson talking so fast that he could get the Gettysburg Address over the Intro to "Go All The Way" by the Raspberries. *Try hitting that fade, Jack.

Jon McComb then with his hair to his knees, writing great news copy along side Bob Ireland, Clint Nickerson and a nervous Bren Traff.

The CKVN days are WAY back there - but for a while....it was JB Shayne, Chief Iron Buffalo, Fearless Freddy, and a host of dynamic people.

Wreck Beach with bottles of Mateus and sparking spliffs of ditch weed the size of baseball bats - and all you got was red eyes and you'd cough 'til you looked like Grandpa Simpson....

A lot of fun.

No money - six day weeks at 2 weeks off a year - but who cared....?

Heh, let's go to the Cave tonight and see CROWBAR.....
hagopian
Advanced Member

Postby Anotherwpgguy » Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:06 am

Hagopian:

Now that post made me chortle! ...In fact, it was damn close to being a guffaw.

Thanks for the memories....it was even more fun making those memories to recall them now. Just yesterday, I had a pang of wanting to go over to Able's house for a quick visit when I was in his old neighbourhood.

Oh, and Kelly J of Crowbar used to always have some good smoke with him....."Oh, What A Feeling."

Anotherwpgguy
Anotherwpgguy
Advanced Member

Postby theallniter » Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:56 pm

Ah, yes, CKVN. 1970's
Where the question could be asked by this, as I was then, non-imbiber - - why would J.T. (this week's PD) be walking toward me with an old teapot whose top had aluminum foil stretched loosely over it?
Ah, yes, CKVN. 1970's
AND Oh, boy! "Hunky" Bill K. is just getting his engine revved at a meeting with the jocks (most sitting on the floor) and who walks in (after we were told not to be late to meetings) but dual-pig-tailed Don Francks with his black child strapped in a papoose-carrying arrangement on his back and yes, yes, OH JOY IN KITS-VILLE - - he is going to engage Mr. K. in philosophical and cultural debate over a point that the 'VN Sales Manager so-wanted to make his own. Lean back on the wall and enjoy this bit of theatre.
Oh good times at 'VN high.
Oh, and I have , like Letterman, a CKVN admission...
Over my career in private radio, I have always rummaged through the needy-children's-vinyl basket (the cardboard box of 45's and albums the station doesn't want) and have, under the cover of darkness, taken the New World African Music (Black records) for my own collection. I'd say sorry... but for the past fifty-plus years, I've felt I was on a mission (and you know what the righteous are like). Anyway, I found a Fats Domino LP in the N-C-V basket at 'VN and even though Fats wasn't my favourite singer anymore, I took it anyway. It was kind of a strange LP cuz it didn't have a real jacket - only a white jacket with a small pasted-on sticker with a red border. The album, the sticker stated, was called "Fats". It never got released. It was, in retrospect, a "real find". Now, before you think too badly of me - what with the children and all - - remember, this vinyl collecting thing takes on drug-like proportions. I mean, by now, I assume you've all heard (some say rumour, some say gossip) that well-known radio man Ted Wendland, badly maimed three men-of-the-cloth in Toledo, Ohio in a desperate gamble to acquire an out-of-print 78 of "Sugar Bee" by CLEVELAND CROCHET & The Sugar Bees on Goldband records. So...
DJZZ
WAGRadio 180.2 FM / 1802 AM
New World African Music
DJ ZigZag
theallniter
Advanced Member

Postby theallniter » Sun Oct 04, 2009 2:15 pm

Hello again
I just want to say I am thrilled that I can go back and re-edit a post after submitting it.
What a great addition.
Especially after my wife reads the original and says, "Oh, I wouldn't have said that. That goes out all over the internet, you know!"
DJZZ
WAGRadio 180.2 FM / 1802 AM
New World African Music
DJ ZigZag
theallniter
Advanced Member

Postby Steve Sanderson » Sun Oct 04, 2009 4:38 pm

theallniter wrote:Hello again
I just want to say I am thrilled that I can go back and re-edit a post after submitting it.
What a great addition.
Especially after my wife reads the original and says, "Oh, I wouldn't have said that. That goes out all over the internet, you know!"
DJZZ

HA!HA!...Don't worry DJZZ...We wouldn't tell a soul!!
Speaking of souls...Tell us more about that well-known radio man Ted Wendland,
and how he badly maimed those three men-of-the-cloth in Toledo!!
I can't say that I've heard that story!!
:tail :D
Steve Sanderson
Advanced Member

Postby johnsykes » Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:30 pm

It seems very strange, that today, I received a message from Facebook, that one Dennis Patten had signed my wall, or ceiling or whatever it is that people sign. Anyone who once worked for CKVN should remember Dennis. This guy was in sales and drove my dear old friend Bill Konyk to the boiling point. If anyone knew him, Dennis has been living in Australia for some years. Check him out on Facebook if you dare to.

I remember being at Al Davidson's funeral.....Jon McComb was there. Jon actually called me his mentor. He must have had a bad day or something. Actually (now do I sound like that turkey that is the commissioner of the NHL?) I remember when Jon first joined us at CKVN.....I thought he was a draft dodger from the U.S. I really loved working with that man and still, to this day, totally enjoy his work at CKNW.

If you hear any 1410 jingles...without the call signs....when I was PD, I found some tapes.....took the 14 and put them on tape. Mr. Tietolman wasn't prepared to pay for jingles....so I went to plan B and scoffed some old ones. Ginsberg scrapped them when he took over.

My biggest thrill was the CKVN Top 300 of all time that I put together. GM Ron Carabine was livid when I left out "My Sweet Lord".

Those were the days.....wished I'd done this....wished I'd done that.......but remember fondly, nevertheless!
johnsykes
Advanced Member

Return to Jingle(s) / ID of the day