CKVN 1970

Jingles and IDs from Radio Stations in Western Canada and Washington State

CKVN 1970

Postby radiofan » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:30 am

In today's history, you'll find CKVN's first Top 30 survey from April 15th, 1970 .. this was also the week CKVN's first package of PAMS
jingles hit the air .. here's a few cuts from the master tape ....

CVKVN Only Just Begun
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Re: CKVN 1970

Postby Jack Bennest » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:35 am

did this package last long?

who was PD?
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby BossRadio » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:24 am

Going to guess TDM...or was Mulligan later on??
Minutus cantorum, minutus balorum, minutus carborata descendum pantorum
BossRadio
Advanced Member

Location: the outskirts of the edge of the fringe of the centre of the universe

Postby jon » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:44 am

Yes, Mr. Mulligan was the PD when CKVN went Top 40. He was hired. And, in turn, he hired greats like Hal Weaver, Tim Burge, JB Shane and Bob Boving.

Not positive, but I believe he was let go after exactly a year, as he had a one year contract. As usual, the next ratings after his departure proved he had it right. I was CHQM at the time, and CKVN had eaten into so much of CKLG-AM's listener base that CHQM ended up #2 after CKNW. Needless to say, there was partying in the halls at 'QM.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:14 pm

Yes .. Mullie was the PD .. they brought him back ffrom CKFH in Toronto to launch the new format on CKVN
in late March. This jingle package was used for about a year (I believe it was PAMS sereries 40. For demo
purposes, PAMS used the package that was done for either WKNR or WXYZ in Detroit . .I think it was WKNR,
CKLW had already buried WXYZ by then).

The next PD after Mulligan was our (multiple choice here) 1. current; 2. former; 3. fence sitting RadioWest.ca
member John Sykes who was working in the Newsroom and was one of the few holdovers from CKVN's Voice of
News era.
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:45 pm

well i hope sykes brought in a better jingle package than that one
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:26 pm

radiofan wrote:one of the few holdovers from CKVN's Voice of News era.

Wowser! CKVN began on July 1, 1969, with a slightly increased News focus over CFUN, which had long News "packages" throughout the day. And great DJ's playing Light Rock the rest of the time. JB Shane, Fred Latrimouille and Al Jordan top the list.

April 1, 1970, we have TDM as off-air PD, with Hal Weaver, Bob Boving, Tim Burge and JB Shane. What happened in between?

I'm assuming the Light Rock and DJs made way for News or Info Talk at some point in there. My recollection of exact times is vague, but I'm still pretty sure that JB did his first stint at CKLG-FM in there.

Terry may not have hired JB away from CKLG-FM, because that is about the time period when management blew everyone out the door at LG-FM except Music Director John Runge, who produced, back announced, and scheduled the recorded quarter hour sets of music.

Now, what I don't know is whether CKLG-FM had had an automation machine (likely) before they went Underground in early 1968. So, I'm not absolutely positive if the tapes of quarter hours were run manually by an operator or on an automation machine. And whether or not the automation machine, if any, actually had an operator, or just had John Runge to take care of it. A thankless job 24/7, and probably an impossible one for one person. I'm betting on an Operator, as I know that CKLG-FM had Operators on staff in 1971-72 when I was at CHQM, as some of the other operators knew guys from there. Hmm. Come to think of it, in late 1969, I remember SFU's campus station, CKSF in those days, regularly interviewing CKLG-FM evening operators on air.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby Russ_Byth » Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:53 pm

The last jingle was kind of limiting, in that you could only use it twice a day! ;)
Russ_Byth
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:55 pm

TDM wasn't an off air PD ...

Bob Boving was still at CJVI in Victoria .. as I recall he moved from CJVI to CKLG and then to CKVN (1971).

JB and Fred were at CFUN in summer of 1969 when the calls changed to CKVN. I believe they both stayed
there and did some on air shifts during the Voice of News era .. the station had news blocks, but tehre was
also some talk shows (you might recall Dr. Hathaway and his Astrology Show (to which Dan Sys used to
call regularily and hasass the hell out of the poor guy). This past summer I ran into Hunky Bill Konyk at the
PNE and we talked about that era at 1900 West 4th .. When they canned the format and the employees, he
said Fred was retained to be PD, JB was retained, John Sykes, Del Archer and Bob Ireland from the newsroom
(and likely a couple of others) .. Fred was the initial PD then he handed the reins over to TDM when he got
back from Toronto.

On a Saturday a week or two before the change at CKVN, Dan Sys and myself were visiting Hal Weaver at CJOR
where he was spinning country tunes on weekends (I'd love to have an aircheck) told us that he was leaving
OR and going to CKVN because they were going Top 40 in a week or two (just don't tell anybody!) ..
Ok .. 40 years later we can spill the beans!
radiofan
Advanced Member

Return to Jingle(s) / ID of the day