CISL is 30 Today.

Jingles and IDs from Radio Stations in Western Canada and Washington State

CISL is 30 Today.

Postby radiofan » Sat May 01, 2010 8:35 am

Happy Birthday to Vancouver's CISL 650 .. The Richmond based station hit the air at 940 on the dial May 1st, 1980 ...

Here's some 1989 sounds from when CISL when they were bringing back the sounds of BOSS Radio with the Drake 88
jingle package and Charlie VanDyke voice-overs ...

C-ISL 650

And from page A9 of today's Vancouver Sun, this full page ad

Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Re: CISL is 30 Today.

Postby Steve Sanderson » Sat May 01, 2010 10:00 am

A Happy big 30th Birthday!!
I wish you many more to come!
:occasion7: :occasion1:
Steve Sanderson
Advanced Member

Postby hagopian » Sat May 01, 2010 11:02 am

Happy Birthday to all these great people - that still actually have jobs!
hagopian
Advanced Member

Postby cart_machine » Sat May 01, 2010 12:25 pm

Gee, compare that with the original line-up, with LInda Cullen and Dan Russell jocking. I think Walt Judas was doing sports then, too.

cArtie.
cart_machine
Advanced Member

News

Postby jon » Sat May 01, 2010 1:24 pm

I haven't looked too hard at Edmonton AM stations, but I look at what appears to be 3 full-time News folks and a Traffic person (or is Fred Peabody a Skywords or equivalent employee?) on CISL and I am amazed.

Commercial FM stations here first went to News in AM Drive only, with the Morning Newsie also doing a Noon 'cast. Now they range from no News at all to Capital-FM's Kari Skelton who actually does real Newscasts, but AM Drive only. She is more a part of the Morning Show "crew"; her "Other People's Business" is the highlighted feature of entertainment News, rather than her Newscasts. In between you have K-97 where News is really a discussion by the Morning Team after one of them reads each story "straight". And Easy Rock where Seanna Collins does the News, including a live Noon 'cast, as well as her duties as co-host of the Morning Show with Ron Clark.

I don't have a strong opinion either way on this. I just find it interesting.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Sat May 01, 2010 1:41 pm

Based on the poster

Gerry, Dave and Casey have M2F shifts

Those could be part time with Gerry having a management job.

All the rest are weekend or limited engagement shifting.

The cost might be more than voice track but its in the business plan that must be working.

radiofan is in the best position to know about all manpower at CISL.
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Re: News

Postby cart_machine » Sat May 01, 2010 3:29 pm

jon wrote: Now they range from no News at all to Capital-FM's Kari Skelton who actually does real Newscasts, but AM Drive only.

"News is a tune-out factor" - one current Vancouver radio General Manager to his news director at the time.

Which can be true. It doesn't have to be. It's all in the story selection and presentation (which includes writing).

A consultant once expressed shock that research showed after the Gulf War broke, people who listened to music radio were interested in hearing about it on "their" station. Why wouldn't they be? Oh, right. A consultant's mindset is geared toward which songs they've tested will work in a pidgeon-holed format. Just play them over and over. With lots of imaging. That's entertainment.

Anyway, I'm getting off topic. It's nice to see the calibre of people over at CISL, especially the Big Daddy, who really should be programming somewhere.

cArtie.

P.S. Does someone remember the name of the blond guy who did some all-nights when they signed on? Last name was Norman. He worked for me before going over there.
cart_machine
Advanced Member

CISL All-Nights

Postby jon » Sat May 01, 2010 4:56 pm

cart_machine wrote:Does someone remember the name of the blond guy who did some all-nights when they signed on? Last name was Norman. He worked for me before going over there.

Amazingly enough, no one with a last name of Norman is even listed on vancouverbroadcasters.com.

If you ever do figure out the name, please let Gord Lansdell know, too.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby hagopian » Sun May 02, 2010 9:55 am

I am just glad to see real people on the radio. Gerry, KC and David are great folks.

Congratulations to all - and pleased to see the ratings.

Here's to another 30 years of "All April Wine And Hagood Hardy - All The Time".....
hagopian
Advanced Member

Postby johnsykes » Sun May 02, 2010 7:01 pm

Wondering where morning man Arnie Celsie is now.......I know their original news director has passed on...he got fired the same week he offered me a job......that should have told me something.
Back to lurking
johnsykes
Advanced Member

Postby Howaboutthat » Sun May 02, 2010 7:06 pm

johnsykes wrote:Wondering where morning man Arnie Celsie is now.......I know their original news director has passed on...he got fired the same week he offered me a job......that should have told me something.
Back to lurking

Last I heard he was playing consultant with Pat Bohn & Associates. (p.s., Glad you're still around!)
Houston, We're dealing with morons!.
Howaboutthat
Advanced Member

Re: CISL All-Nights

Postby cart_machine » Mon May 03, 2010 2:23 am

jon wrote:If you ever do figure out the name, please let Gord Lansdell know, too.

Gord sent me a note. He asked if it was John Norman, but that was someone else who came later. Dan Russell would probably remember.

Someone has told me they're not surprised I'd remember his hair colour and not his name.

And, as far as I know, Mr. Celsie is still employed by Pat Bohn.

cArtie.
cart_machine
Advanced Member

Return to Jingle(s) / ID of the day