CHED Fake Drake

Jingles and IDs from Radio Stations in Western Canada and Washington State

CHED Fake Drake

Postby radiofan » Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:47 am

In the late 60s, most of the Moffatt stations had genuine Drake/Johnny Mann jingles .. Edmonton's CHED had to settle for a batch of "Fake Drake" jingles ...

CHED Fake Drake

Thanks to albertaboy4life for sharing these.
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Re: CHED Fake Drake

Postby Hallicrafters » Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:54 am

That's because the Johnny Mann singers didn't come cheap, it wasn't a one time payment, it was like a union commercial, residuals every thirteen weeks or so.

I filled in at CKLW for one night in 1976 or so, they paid me $300.00 for the one all night show, so it's not like they couldn't afford Johnny Mann. CHED probably not so much.
Hallicrafters

Postby Jack Bennest » Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:42 pm

I'm a bit confused. Who did the fake drake?
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby Hallicrafters » Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:49 pm

My guess..... Pams. It was once a bonus to PD's they got to travel to Dallas for the session. It gave them a feeling of importance. As if most Pd's knew anything about music production. lol

I can remember one station had "keyed" jingles, the jingles were designed to match the key of the songs opening. Problem was the music was sped up to get an extra song every 3 hours, the "keys" never matched. The only station I worked at that I saw a PD with a pitch pipe, a very frustrated PD.
Hallicrafters

Postby Hallicrafters » Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:03 pm

Forgot to post this;

The original "Drake" type jingles really helped pace a station. The More Music jingles ran in sweeps, however they came in a great variety. You could transition from a slow to fast, a medium to medium, a fast to fast, etc, e.g. "more music" sung slowly into a fast call sign. They also had straight call letter jingles that came off some spot sets. The pacing gave the station a momentum that I don't hear much anymore. Mind you they limited the commercial count to about 8 minutes an hour. Usually stopping for no more than 90 seconds.

When you heard a jingle you knew the music would always be there.

Most of the "copiers" failed to get the variety of "sweepers" that "Drake" used. Some dummies would roll jingles between spots, which of course subconsciously equates your station with spots, rather than what the audience was there for.
Hallicrafters

Postby Russ_Byth » Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:06 pm

Hallicrafters wrote:I can remember one station had "keyed" jingles, the jingles were designed to match the key of the songs opening. Problem was the music was sped up to get an extra song every 3 hours, the "keys" never matched.

Hah! I remember those. Someone may correct me, but I'm pretty sure we had those in Terrace for a short while (at least before I was asked to leave town) in the mid '80s.
Russ_Byth
Advanced Member

Postby albertaboy4life » Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:30 pm

I think this particular package is from Pepper Tanner. CHED only purchased PAMS Series 16 "Sound of the City", Solid Rock, Series 46 "Just For You" and Windy/WLS '76 (four cuts only while CKLG had five). They were a frequent purchaser of Pepper Tanner jingles including Centennial (also used by CKNW), Now Sound and Fun One.
Faster cars, younger women, older cheese, more money . . .
albertaboy4life
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:29 pm

Russ_Byth wrote:(at least before I was asked to leave town)

Might be a great story to tell Bites.
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Return to Jingle(s) / ID of the day