Vancouver Spring 08 S2 BBM

Regina and Saskatoon Numeris 12+ Diary Ratings

Postby Jack Bennest » Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:48 am

The truth lies somewhere between the black and the white of this arguement.

Stations and advertisers/agencies have been getting 12+ numbers for many years. If they were not wanted we would not see them.

I agree that stations that are not trying to cater to all people, all the time
will look at their demo. There is no arguement about that.

But I still think the 12+ numbers are an indication of station strength. When Jon posted the cumes - the same type of strength and pecking order is shown(even tho the order might be different).

For all of the critics of NW here and elsewhere they do well - but not as well as in the past. The CBC has always had a strong fan base. Talk or conversation is not dead and most people I know over 40 cannot listen to the music is played on the radio for very long before looking for a CD
or going satellite.

Those who like to argue might want to take the numbers and analize which stations are actually competing with what other sticks for the same
advertiser dollar. That might be an interesting exercise.

Interesting subnote for me - more and more I am finding I cannot shop in large stores with canned music that is so terrible I am driven out. I cannot for the life of me figure out why so many businessman play this whiney music.
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby WPGGUY » Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:03 pm

Stations and advertisers/agencies have been getting 12+ numbers for many years. If they were not wanted we would not see them.

You may be right, but I can not help but wonder if stations have been getting them, or if BBM is giving it to them. In other words is BBM still proving the 12+ numbers becasue they have been doing it for years and even though "most" radio stations and national buyers do not use them any more no one has told them to not bother reporting them?
WPGGUY
Advanced Member

Postby Aaron » Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:55 pm

Agencies usually have the full BBM/Airware software, and can look at any demo or non-demo they want.
Aaron
Advanced Member

Postby tuned » Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:42 am

Having spent the better part of a decade toiling in the trenches selling radio I can tell you that nobody cares about 12+ ratings. They are fun to look at on message boards but that's about it. The reality is that each station sells "its" audience. If you want guys it's inefficient to buy QM/FM likewise if you want females 1040 and WX are a bad idea. Vancouver has a relatively small number of commercial stations considering the market size when you compare it to a similar sized market in the US. Most of the inventory is tightly controlled by a few players so it's possible to extract maximum revenue from it. In the old days before all the consolidation media buyers could play several stations against each other to keep prices down. That isn't the case any more.
tuned
Advanced Member

Postby slowhand » Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:18 pm

Actually, the Sales folks I know or work with all sell "the Cluster" :wav: , rather than time on individual stations.

They present BBM numbers to clients that represent the total for all the stations in the market owned by the same corporation. And then sell one spot on each station just as they would sell one spot on one station.
slowhand
Advanced Member

Previous

Return to Regina and Saskatoon Numeris 12+ Diary Spring 2022