Edmonton Spring 08 S2 BBM 12+

Regina and Saskatoon Numeris 12+ Diary Ratings

Edmonton Spring 08 S2 BBM 12+

Postby radiofan » Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:41 am

Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby Dan Sys » Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:24 pm

It looks like Newcap's "Oldies on FM" experiment was a winner in both Edmonton & Calgary (at the expense of Joe & Jack respectively). I'm sure we'll see more of these borderline Oldie stations appear on the Canadian radio scene in the near future. My bet is on Newcap's "Hank FM" in Winnipeg being the next to go as they barely showed a pulse in the ratings in that city.
Dan Sys
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:35 pm

A few observations that I'll put in the form of questions, because I'm not sure if my first guess at an answer is correct.

(1) Is this the lowest 12+ SHARE for CKNG-FM since Power-92 first signed on in the early '90s?

(2) Where did CHDI Sonic's audience go? CHBN The Bounce?

(3) Is CHMC Magic 99 in a Limbo Contest ("How Low Can You Go?")? Kinda makes you wonder how Rawlco's new station, if approved, will do.

All that said, for any other station, CKNG's numbers would be "just fine". It is just that they have done so well for so long.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby Aaron » Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:07 pm

Dan Sys wrote:It looks like Newcap's "Oldies on FM" experiment was a winner in both Edmonton & Calgary (at the expense of Joe & Jack respectively). I'm sure we'll see more of these borderline Oldie stations appear on the Canadian radio scene in the near future. My bet is on Newcap's "Hank FM" in Winnipeg being the next to go as they barely showed a pulse in the ratings in that city.

Absolutely. Do they still have that "folk" restriction? They'd HAVE to get rid of that first. I'd mark down Rogers Victoria, Ottawa, and maybe Toronto as possibilities too, especially when non-hit goes away.
Aaron
Advanced Member

Postby Destro » Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:45 pm

JACK Victoria would make for a great candidate to flip to a smart classic hits station. CFAX and CBC dominate the old folks so there would be lots of room to take some listeners plus it would compliment the Ocean and still battle a bit with the Q. Actually... yeah a classic hits would be the ultimate flanker for Rogers in Victoria.
Destro
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:12 pm

Because of the sheer volume of Graham Hicks' coverage, I have put the Edmonton Journal and Edmonton Sun (Hicks) ratings articles in separate threads:
Sun - viewtopic.php?t=3810
Journal - viewtopic.php?t=3809

The first thing that hit me was just how popular Gord Whitehead's CHED morning show is. At one point, before Rob Christie's return, he seemed to be the only (non-News) announcer in Edmonton who did NOT subscribe to the "Announcing of the '90s" philosophy of casual announcing: purposely adding "Umm" and other noise words to his delivery.

Gord is such a great example of making the transition from Drake formatics in Top 40, to Information formats completely devoid of music.
jon
Advanced Member

Return to Regina and Saskatoon Numeris 12+ Diary Spring 2022