KJR-FM's Bob Rivers set to retire

Includes archive of Bill Virgin's columns fromJ une 2006 - March 2009

KJR-FM's Bob Rivers set to retire

Postby radiofan » Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:36 am

KJR's Bob Rivers Hangs Up His Alarm Clock
July 28, 2014 at 7:57 AM (PT)

After 33-years of doing morning radio, CCM+E Oldies KJR-F/SEATTLE's BOB RIVERS announced his heart-felt decision to step away and discontinue The BOB RIVERS Morning Show. Leading up to his final show on FRIDAY, AUGUST 8, 2014, the iconic SEATTLE personality will host 9 farewell shows to say goodbye to listeners, advertisers and co-workers.

"BOB is a world-class talent, a true professional and radio genius, and it’s been our pleasure working with such a radio legend that inspired many in the industry to get into the business in their early years," said CCM+E/SEATTLE VP/Programming KEITH CUNNINGHAM.

"I've been on the radio for 42 years; since I was 16. 33-years doing morning drive, 25 of them being here in SEATTLE. Our show signed on 8/8/89 and our last show will be 8/8/2014. I will be forever grateful to the best audience and radio family one could hope for: SPIKE, JOE, JODI, ARIK, PEDRO and LUCIANA. I love y'all. This was not an easy decision for me, but you just know when it's right. Hopefully we satisfy the old adage -- leave them wanting more," said RIVERS. "I'm the luckiest radio host in the world. Not only have I been surrounded by iconic talent and given free-reign to create a unique morning show, we’ve amassed an audience so loyal and loving that they have raised millions and saved children's lives all over the world. We enjoyed great ratings over the years, but they only tell part of the story -- the bond we’ve had as a cast and with our audience and trusted advertisers trumps all the #1's we achieved. I'm about to be a grandfather, I don't want to miss a minute of that. It’s time for my lovely wife, LISA, to get The BOB RIVERS Show live and in person every morning. There are projects waiting, like WORLD VISION, touring with HEART BY HEART, maybe popping up on radio from time-to-time."

- See more at: http://www.allaccess.com/net-news/archi ... NyVbJ.dpuf
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Re: KJR-FM's Bob Rivers set to retire

Postby Neumann Sennheiser » Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:09 am

Good move on Bob Rivers' part and timely too; ClearChannel is about to make some pretty major adjustments to, and rebranding of, KJR-FM which will involve the very real likelihood of an entirely new morning show, rumored to be coming from their Sacramento, CA station.
With my "radio ears" I can hear how his current show is being micro-managed by other powers; it doesn't sound like it once did (as at KZOK) and he must also be frustrated with that aspect. That being said, he has an incredible team of supporting players and even a flawed Rivers' show is one of the best in the country. He will be missed but I am happy for him that he has planned for this day so well. He's blessed with good health and sobriety, a beautiful marriage and family, and a pretty sweet set-up with his home 35 miles east of Seattle in North Bend, WA (..for my Western Canadian friends, think of the Alberta rockies area where Kananaskis becomes the actual Rocky mountains).
"You don't know man! I was in radio man! I've seen things you wouldn't believe!"
Neumann Sennheiser
Advanced Member

Re: KJR-FM's Bob Rivers set to retire

Postby radiofan » Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:17 pm

All the credit for Bob Rivers making Seattle his home for the past 25 years goes to the late Steve Young.

Many will remember Steve from his years at CITI FM in Winnipeg, CJAY in Calgary and a few others plus consultancy his work with Joint Communications.

After Calgary, Steve landed the PD job at Seattle's KISW. One of his first hires in the summer of 1989 was Bob Rivers from WIYY in Baltimore.

Sorry to see Bob leave the Seattle airwaves. Even sorrier to hear his replacement will be the syndicated Rob, Dawn & Arnie Show out of Sacramento. They had a shot at Seattle several years ago when they replaced Bob at KISW, and they failed miserably. Will history repeat itself?

Following Bob's last show next Friday, KJR FM will take on a new identity, likely The Jet ...

Another heritage station run into the ground by bean counters.

Thank you Cheap Channel.
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Return to Seattle / Washington State Radio News