Bill Virgin's Radio Beat July 13, 2006

Includes archive of Bill Virgin's columns fromJ une 2006 - March 2009

Postby radiofan » Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:08 pm

Thursday, July 13, 2006

On Radio: Mendoza's line: Let's talk religion

By BILL VIRGIN
P-I REPORTER

There's a new local talk show on the air in town which has two somewhat unusual features to it.

First, it's hosted by a woman. As KCIS-AM (630) program director Mark Holland notes, "There's plenty of testosterone talk on AM radio."

Second, it's a current events and issues program that will largely steer clear of politics.

Instead "Living Christian," at 12:30-3 p.m. weekdays on KCIS-AM, will approach those topics and issues from a religious perspective, says host Michelle Mendoza.

"Politics, although important, are only temporal," she says. "It does not need to become the focus of our conversation if we are people of faith."

"Living Christian," Mendoza adds, will take on subjects ranging from home-schooling to science and technology, food, entertainment, money and personal finance from the perspective of "what does the Bible say about this, what do people of faith think about this?"

That doesn't mean the perspectives or callers will be limited to the Christian faith, or that the tone of conversation at times won't be as combative as secular political shows. "We don't necessarily like being loud or in your face or obnoxious. We get angry callers; they may be angry with God," she says.

"That's fine, we have emotions. It makes for real-life radio."

Mendoza's is a familiar voice in Seattle radio. She hosted a talk show in the 1990s on KCIS, and later worked at KVI-AM as a producer for Kirby Wilbur's show and as a host. "When I had my last little one I decided to do something a little less time-consuming," Mendoza says.

But she has long had a love of radio, so she got back into the business as a local traffic reporter, which in turn led to the gig at KCIS. "I heard her (doing traffic) and said 'I remember that voice,' " Holland says.

Mendoza has had plenty of other projects to keep her busy. In addition to home-schooling her three children, she's the producer and co-director of "Spirit 77," a movie based on the rescue of missionaries. The movie is to be released this summer.

Although it just began this week, Mendoza has plans to add features to "Living Christian," such as testing video games for their moral and violent content "so we can be informed consumers." She recounts the story of a Christian school that, misled by the video game's name, was giving away copies of "Halo."

Holland says KCIS, part of Crista Ministries and sister station to KCMS-FM (105.3), long had local talk as part of its programming. In recent years its schedule had been contemporary Christian music and teaching programs. "I just think people in Seattle like local talk," he says. Holland hosts KCIS's morning show, while Joe Micheals, whose voice also can be heard on KING-TV, hosts an afternoon program of classics from contemporary Christian music.

In other radio notes:

Initiative activist Tim Eyman concludes a week of filling in as co-host on the Sytman & Boze show 5-9 a.m. today and Friday on KTTH-AM (770). KTTH will continue with fill-in co-hosts with Dan Sytman next week, including soundpolitics.com blogger Stefan Sharkansky on Monday, Rabbi Daniel Lapin on Tuesday, Pastor Ken Hutcherson on Wednesday, Washington Republican Chairman Diane Tebelius on Thursday and Attorney General Rob McKenna on Friday.

Meanwhile, KIRO-AM (710) has added local political blogger David Goldstein (www.horsesass.org) as a host 7-10 p.m. Sundays.

KMTT-FM (103.7) was named by Rolling Stone magazine in its current issue as one of "five awesome rock outlets that have figured out how to survive" in a climate of "stations shutting down all over and ratings in free fall." The article compliments the station's tailoring of playlists to local tastes and the "Mountain Music Lounge" feature in which established stars and up-and-coming musicians perform in the KMTT studios.

"Music With Moskowitz" at noon Saturday on KSER-FM (90.7) features songs and comedy about the sea.

The group Degenerate Art Ensemble performs on "Sonarchy" at midnight Saturday on KEXP-FM (90.3).

Tami Kosch interviews William Eskridge, author of "Gay Marriage: For Better or Worse? What We've Learned From the Evidence," on "Community Matters Weekend Edition" at 6 a.m. Sunday on KPTK-AM (1090).

The Sunday edition of Jim French's "Imagination Theatre," heard at 8 p.m. Saturday and Sunday on KIXI-AM (880), includes a new Sherlock Holmes adventure.

"Voices of Diversity" at 6 p.m. Wednesday on KBCS-FM (91.3) takes a look at gentrification in Seattle's neighborhoods.

P-I reporter Bill Virgin can be reached at 206-448-8319 or billvirgin@seattlepi.com.

Seattle P-I Bill Virgin's Radio Beat
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Return to Seattle / Washington State Radio News