Bill Virgin's Radio Beat September 11, 2008

Includes archive of Bill Virgin's columns fromJ une 2006 - March 2009

Bill Virgin's Radio Beat September 11, 2008

Postby radiofan » Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:04 pm

Ron Reagan launches new radio talk show

By BILL VIRGIN
P-I REPORTER

Ron Reagan says joining Air America as the host of a nationally syndicated talk show is a good fit for him, and not just because his political leanings ("I've been on the left for as long as I can remember)" match the network's.

At Air America, Reagan says, "It's expected that people of my political persuasion are going to be up front about their political persuasion. I don't have to edit myself at all, not that I was much given to that in the first place. ... I'm not obliged to be neutral, which is tough for me anyway."

Reagan's one-hour show began Monday on Air America (the number of stations carrying it wasn't available). He's doing the show from the Seattle studios of KPTK-AM/1090, which airs it at 5 p.m. weekdays.

Reagan isn't a newcomer either to Air America or radio. He has been a frequent panelist on Air America's weekend show "7 Days in America," filled in after Randi Rhodes departed the network and was part of its coverage of the Republican convention. He also was a host for a year and a half of a local midday talk show on KIRO-AM.

The new gig, however, came together remarkably fast.

"I hadn't really expected that I was going to end with a radio show, even a one-hour radio show, until the end of last week," he says. "I was asked by the program director, 'What are you doing for the next couple of months? Would you be willing to start Monday?' "

An opening for Reagan on Air America was created by fellow host Rachel Maddow's increased work for MSNBC, which resulted in her cutting her Air America show from three to two hours daily.

Despite the fast launch, Reagan believes the show is off to a good start with first-week guests including Pennsylvania Gov. Ed Rendell and author Vincent Bugliosi.

"We're a work in progress, to say the least," he says. "I had my first conversation with my producer on Monday morning. We're pretty much throwing it up against the wall here, but so far so good. We all pretty much know what we're doing here."

What listeners will get is a perspective far different than what people might associate with his father, the late president. Reagan is not shy in expressing intense dislike of George W. Bush ("nobody will say the word impeachment"), John McCain, Sarah Palin and Republicans generally.

"We're coming up, under two months now, to a huge presidential election, one of surpassing importance," he says. "I don't think I'm exaggerating when I say this is probably the most important presidential election I've been around for and aware of. Our country's really on the brink. ... If we're foolish enough to fall for this Sarah Palin nonsense, and scared enough to say, 'Well, maybe we ought to elect Grampa instead of the new guy, because it feels a little safer and more secure,' we're in big trouble. ... You talk to people in other countries, they can't believe what we're doing over here, they can't believe what a joke our presidential election has become."

Given those views, it's not surprising that he shares little discussion of radio with brother Michael Reagan, a nationally syndicated conservative talk host. "Mike and I are very different people and have very different politics, and I would imagine do a very different kind of show," he says. "I don't rely on the fact that my father was the president of the United States. Other people will bring that to the table, I suppose, and have that in mind. That's their business. That's not what I think about. Mike tends, from what I've heard, to hit that pretty hard. We're just different people that way."

Reagan might have had a broader audience with his television work for MSNBC and others, but "experientially, I prefer radio. I like the intimacy of radio. I like the fact there's a little more time, and you call the shots (on topics) to a much greater degree in radio."

Doing radio also means he doesn't have to spend half an hour in a make-up chair, and can do the show in jeans and a sweatshirt. TV's big advantage? "It pays a lot more."

At just an hour a day, Reagan says, "You're always feeling a little pressed" to get everything said. But he's hoping that eventually his show will be expanded to two or three hours.

"After the election, if Air America thinks I'm doing a decent job and wants me to stick around, I'd be happy to do that. I'm a guy who works for a living. ... I was between gigs so this is good."

In other radio notes:

A follow to last week's item about veteran news anchor Bill Yeend renewing his contract with KOMO-AM/1000.

"I really like Jim Clayton (vice president and general manager for Fisher Communications' Seattle radio and TV stations); he's the guy who is serious about doing quality broadcasting and is ready to invest the energy and money that is necessary," said Yeend, who has signed up for another three years.

"Without the Mariners on, my theory is that's going to free up a lot of money for us to do quality news and to do some promotion along the way, and not be saddled with the burden of 160-some baseball games and have to deny listeners the news during those ball games. I'm looking forward to it. I think the next three years are going to be positive for KOMO. I don't think the loss of the Mariners is going to be a big detriment to our success."

With the demise of KBSG-FM, the replays of Casey Kasem and "American Top 40" shows from the 1970s have moved to KJR-FM/95.7 at 8 a.m. Sundays.

Warren Moon joins Jeff Aaron for a preview of the Seahawks and the NFL at 4:05 p.m. each Friday on KRKO-AM/1380.

KING-FM/98.1 has launched the KING-FM Arts Channel on its Web site and on HD-2. The new channel features reports, interviews, readings and performances highlighting the local arts community

Jazz guitarist Earl Klugh performs in the studios of KPLU-FM/88.5 at 12:20 p.m. Wednesday.

P-I reporter Bill Virgin can be reached at 206-448-8319 or billvirgin@seattlepi.com.

Bill Virgin's Radio Beat, Thursdays in the Seattle P-I
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Return to Seattle / Washington State Radio News