Bill Virgin's Radio Beat November 2, 2006

Includes archive of Bill Virgin's columns fromJ une 2006 - March 2009

Postby radiofan » Wed Nov 01, 2006 11:18 pm

Thursday, November 2, 2006

On Radio: KMTT's lineup is shifting as popular radio veteran Mike West retires

By BILL VIRGIN
P-I REPORTER

It's shake-up week at KMTT-FM (103.7), with the departure of one longtime Seattle radio veteran and a schedule change likely.

Mike West, whose local career dates to the mid-1970s, when he worked for Nathan Hale High School's station, has announced his retirement from KMTT. He had been at The Mountain since 1994, paired first with Gary Crow and later with John Fisher.

KMTT is planning other changes in its lineup. While the station hasn't officially announced them yet, it's likely that current afternoon host Marty Riemer will move to morning while Fisher will move to Riemer's afternoon shift.

Asked if he jumped or was pushed, West said, "I was pushed, but it's not like I didn't know I was going to be pushed." West said his contract was up Dec. 31 anyway, and he had been mulling whether to stay on beyond that. "I wanted to get out before I was running on fumes," he said. Offered the choice of staying on with KMTT's parent Entercom in some other capacity or retiring, West chose the latter.

KMTT did put the announcement on its Web site, with a farewell from Fisher, and is keeping his e-mail address at the station active. It also has posted an outpouring of messages from listeners wishing him well.

"He's loved around these parts," said program director Shawn Stewart. "He's going to be missed."

"I am so blown away by all of the e-mails I've gotten," West said. "It makes me feel good that I touched a lot of lives and people remember things we did."

West's professional career started at a station in Grays Harbor County. He returned to Seattle to work at soul station KYAC, then was teamed with John Langan at KISW. After a detour to radio in Los Angeles, he returned to Seattle and moved to KXRX. After that station switched formats he wound up at KMTT.

West, 49, said he's proud not only of his radio accomplishments ("I don't think I ever slacked") but of his marriage to his wife of 25 years, Tina, and their two kids (a daughter now working for a record company, a son who just graduated from Paul McCartney's performing arts school in England).

His initial retirement days will be spent pursuing such interests as writing about cars and working with students at the station that gave him his start -- KNHC.

Would he consider a return to radio? "If something sounds really cool," West said he'd think about it, but added, "I don't think I would get up at 3:30 a.m. again." Most of his radio career has been as a morning host.

In other radio notes:

KQMV-FM (92.5), marketed as Movin', has been operating without on-air hosts since its debut earlier this year, but now it has added some. Kris Nascimento will be the 7 p.m.-midnight host beginning Nov. 13. He had worked at KLSY-FM (Movin's predecessor) and KKNW-AM. Monti Carlo, most recently as a co-host on a morning show in Atlanta, takes over the 2-7 p.m. shift Monday.

One group of listeners left unhappy by KIRO-AM's addition of "The Midnight Trucking Radio Network" is fans of the old-time radio show "When Radio Was," which appears to have been dropped from the schedule. According to the show's Web site, radiospirits.com, the closest outlets appear to be KGY-AM (1240) in Olympia, which carries "When Radio Was" at 10 p.m. Sunday, and KLKI-AM (1340) in Anacortes, which airs the program Saturday and Sunday at 8 p.m.

Ann Hampton Callaway performs live from the studios of KPLU-FM (88.5) at 1:30 p.m. today.

Don Riggs' guests on "Introspect Northwest" at 7 a.m. Saturday on KPTK-AM (1090) and 7 a.m. Sunday on KMPS-FM (94.1) include Andrew Carroll, author of a book on troops' letters homes, "Operation Homecoming."

"Audioasis," broadcasting live from the High Dive in Fremont at 6:30 p.m. Saturday on KEXP-FM (90.3), features performances by Four Easy Pieces and Sirens Sister.

KIXI-AM (880) has added a second edition of "The Twilight Zone" drama series to its weekend lineup. It now airs at 9 p.m. Saturday and Sunday.

Kate Daniels interviews Kay Hutchison, author of "Walking After Midnight: One Woman's Journey Through Murder, Justice & Forgiveness," on "Sunday Morning magazine" at 5:30 a.m. on KRWM-FM (106.9).

Tami Kosch interviews David Callahan, author of "The Moral Center," on "Community Matters Weekend Edition" at 6 a.m. Sunday on KPTK-AM.

Lizz Sommars' guests on "Conversations" at 6 a.m. Sunday on KISW-FM (99.9), KBSG-FM (97.3) and KKWF-FM (100.7) include mountain climber Ed Viesturs, author of "No Shortcuts to the Top."

P-I reporter Bill Virgin can be reached at 206-448-8319 or billvirgin@seattlepi.com.

Bill Virgin's Radio Beat Thursdays in the Seattle P-I
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Return to Seattle / Washington State Radio News