Jack's morning rant

Jack's morning rant

Postby Jack Bennest » Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:26 am

ARE WE FIGHTING AGAINST TERRORISM

KANDAHAR Afghanistan - Another Canadian soldier was killed Sunday afternoon, less than a week before he was slated to end his second tour in Afghanistan.

Sgt. Scott Shipway of Saskatchewan, a veteran of deployments in Kosovo, Bosnia and Cyprus, was killed when the armoured vehicle he was travelling in struck.

Shipway is the 97th Canadian soldier to die in the conflict in Afghanistan since 2002, and his death fell on a particularly violent day in Kandahar province, where the bulk of Canada's 2,500 troops are stationed.

JACK'S MORNING RANT:

Are we fighting against terrorism or against thugs we don't like who want to run THEIR country. Same in Iraq - are the allies not fighting against thugs who want to run THEIR country.

WW2 our uncles went to war - we were fighting thugs that wanted to run OUR country or the motherland of our grandparents.

There is a difference and I think it is reflected in the fact that Canadians don't really care about the 100 boys and girls killed and many more injured for life.

Our leaders have not convinced me this is a war on terrorism. If Bush and the Americans had brought together the best minds in the world and fought terrorism on the police investigation and financial side we might have had it nipped in the bud. That would have been too easy.

What did we do - we appealed to the Military Industrial complex and set off on two wars so that bombs, bullets, planes and high tech equipment could be designed for more killing later somewhere else.

Are you convinced we have put a dent in terrorism.. The movement we are fighting is stronger and more motivated and countries like Pakistan will be broken trying to satisfy the MIC as a 'modern' nation. Iraq will not recuperate for decades. Most of the nations that sponsored terrorism are doing fine thank you.

edited to correct spelling error
Last edited by Jack Bennest on Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Ancestors

Postby jon » Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:45 am

Top Dog wrote:WWW2 our uncles went to war - we were fighting thugs that wanted to run OUR country or the motherland of our grandparents.

Unfortunately, "the motherland of our ancestors" argument would lead us further down the road of getting involved in more wars, not less. After all, given the varied backgrounds of Canadians today, any change in leadership in any country in the world certainly would have been the homeland to some Canadian's ancestor. It doesn't take much spin doctoring to portray the new leaders in any change in government as "thugs".

I know I'm not addressing your main issue, but merely pointing out that the "where do you draw the line?" question is an important one to consider.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby segueking2 » Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:22 am

JACK, sadly too many Canadians have no CLUE why our best and brightest are getting killed, while Afghan Warlords take their Opium money and buy up Fleet Street and mansions in the Riviera.
The problem comes from the so called "Leaders" of Canada, that have zero military background, or minimal understanding of real polotik.

Until Canadians wake up and realize that their kids are cannon fodder for a warped world vision of psychopaths like George Bush and Hahmed Karzai, the slaughter will continue apace.

This is about OIL. Full stop.

We should bring our kids home now.
OR better....put Stephen Himmler and dumbell McKay in a jeep and send them out to see how the Al-Queda treats 'infidels".

Mark my words - Stephen Harper is a dangerous and very ambitious man. He will use YOUR kids to score points with his minders in the C.I.A.

Oh, you didn't realize that the C.I.A. vets our leaders?

Ever wonder how Mulroney got his money?
segueking2
Advanced Member

Postby Dan Sys » Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:46 am

Stephen Harper is a dangerous and very ambitious man.

Couldn't agree with you more. This country will be thrown into a state of turmoil if that freak and his team of whackos happen to win a majority next month and impose their ass-backward beliefs on us.
Dan Sys
Advanced Member

Re: Jack's morning rant

Postby Jack Bennest » Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:54 am

Top Dog wrote:WWW2 our uncles went to war - we were fighting thugs that wanted to run OUR country or the motherland of our grandparents.

CIA fact book - on the motherland of our grandparents

6% - Asia, Africa, Arab

94% England, France, Europe, Native, Mixed race

Canada is a multi cultural country - but I believe our foundation is still strong as the vast majority of citizens have a heritage from the democracies of Europe.
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby skyvalleyradio » Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:01 am

one of the questions my wife & I will be asking of any candidates that contact us:

"will you stop our military presence & bring home all the Canadians in Afghanistan?"
skyvalleyradio
Advanced Member

Postby Mike Cleaver » Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:37 am

I just about gag every time I see one of Harpo Marx' tv ads trying to portray him as "warm and fuzzy."
The pre-election call one in particular, with that "Cheshire cat" grin at the end made me want to hurl.
The military patriotism one about veterans makes me spew because he has no idea what it is to be part of a military family.
This is a person who shakes hands with his pre-teen children instead of hugging them.
This is a person who ignores the fact there are gay people in Canada.
For example, he's never attended a Pride event, even though the ones in Toronto and Vancouver attract a million and half-million voters respectively.
He didn't attend the International Aids Conference in Montreal.
He has an American agenda for Canada.
I keep seeing t-shirts around Vancouver that are anti-Harper and anti-reform, er, Conservative.
One says "Anti-women, anti-gay, Stephen Harper go away!"
Another, "Stephen Harper does not love me" on a shirt worn by a young man who is HIV positive.
Harpo Marx is a dangerous wacko with a fundamentalist bent.
He worships the US and wants to make Canada more like our neighbour to the south.
None of the leaders, save Jack Layton, spends much time out here in BC.
I don't like all of the NDP policies but maybe it's time to give someone other than the Liberals or Conservatives a chance at running this country.
Mike Cleaver Broadcast Services
Engineering, News, Voice work and Consulting
Vancouver, BC, Canada

54 years experience at some of Canada's Premier Broadcasting Stations
Mike Cleaver
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:19 am

Mike Cleaver wrote:but maybe it's time to give someone other than the Liberals or Conservatives a chance at running this country.

Love them or hate them (the past Conservatives), I don't think you can say that Stephen Harper and crew bear any relationship to the Progressive Conservative Party that existed prior to the merger of Reform and PC.

First the Reform Party itself pushed out its moderates, most notably Preston Manning. Then, they essentially renamed the party "Conservative" by choosing a moment when the PCs had extremely low popularity, and federal seats, and doing a merger strictly on their own terms. A merger that ended up with Reform firmly in control.

In essence, you've seen a far Right element in the Reform party take over two political parties: Reform and PC.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:38 am

The best thing we can hope for is a Harper minority again with a message from the people that says - live with it Stephan - for four years.

The mood in Canada is that no election was really needed and that no real change will occur. Dion is weak, Layton has not proven himself as a vote getter - the green party is on the move as a force - but a small one.

Love them or hate them, Trudeau, Mulroney, Chretian and even Martin were a lot more exciting than this bunch - they will have difficulty facing the drama of a US election and new programming on the networks.

Boring and Bland - two words on this unnecessary and costly election.
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby Dan Sys » Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:50 am

If that freak gets re-elected the Liberals only have themselves to blame for choosing such a dud as their leader. Stephane Dion has about the same appeal to the electorate right now as a package of sliced Maple Leaf salami does, even in his home province of Quebec according to the polls.
Dan Sys
Advanced Member

Postby Cliff Bashly Kinkade » Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:50 am

Oh Cleaver don't make me fawn over you! I couldn't agree more. In some ways I'm actually hoping for a PC majority so that the muzzles finally come off the whack-job fringe of the on Cons - yes Rob Anders I'm talking about you.

I think the big problem is that the reporting of every individual death of a Canadian soldier has burned people out with a parade of ubiquitous ramp ceremonies . Compare that to WWI and WWII, where tens of thousands could be lost in a single day. It's an interesting time to monitor the social science of it all.
nudeswithviews.com / where right is never wrong
Cliff Bashly Kinkade
Advanced Member

Postby PMC » Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:38 pm

jon wrote:First the Reform Party itself pushed out its moderates, most notably Preston Manning.

Manning was a puppet for the American Conservative Party... he worked for them for 20 years, and then came back to Canada to start the Reform party... their best joke was when they renamed themselves as CRAP - the Canadian Reform Alliance Party.

As segueking2 said, Afghanistan is about OIL, and I add, so is Iraq.

Want to get a different perspective on 9/11 then watch these videos. There are others that implicate the work of the CIA... remember George W. Bush Sr ran the CIA under Reagan.

The first one is called Painful Deceptions.

http://video.google.ca/videoplay?docid= ... ions&hl=en

The second is called 911 Mysteries

http://video.google.ca/videoplay?docid= ... 2qDA&hl=en

CBC is running a show on Building 7 in the WTC and how it was blown up at 5:30pm in the afternoon and it dropped floor by floor like the the two towers... similar to the 2nd linked videos.

Each will definately give you perspective.
PMC

Postby Jack Bennest » Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:57 am

Biff - I was not as aware of Rob Anders as you are - by location - I would think.

Interesting - born in 72 - 11 years in parliament - quite a history. I do however like his challenging attitude - no matter how fuzzy. We do need people to challenge the high and the mighty. He may have a future based on his electoral record. A number of people have tried to knock him off but I think what I see in him is recognized by the majority.

Better to have his type in the full light of day and not hiding in the dark.
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:08 am

Circling back to the comparison with World War II in the opening post, now that 9/11 has been brought into the discussion, to suggest no U.S. military action in response to 9/11 would also suggest that the U.S. was wrong to get into World War II in response to Pearl Harbor. Admittedly, world conditions were extremely different, but 9/11 and Pearl Harbor are strikingly similar as individual actions, in my opinion.

All that said, I'm the first to admit that Afghanistan is turning into the same Vietnam mess that the U.S.S.R. found itself in when it invaded 20 years ago. Ironically, unless things change dramatically, Taliban control of the country appears to be the likely end result of both the current and USSR military actions.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:16 am

The terrorists were trained in Afghanistan but actually came from a number of mid-east countries. We should have stopped their money flow
and picked on their sponsors. We should have treated the terrorists, their organizations and the sponsors as criminals and built prison cells. Instead we bomb and kill children and mothers in a country that is theirs in our attempt to give them what we think they need and not what they want...peace.

I think the intent of the first post was to say that we should launch a war on terrrorism rather than a war on countries - that had not invaded us.

Germany invaded France and most of Europe and bombed Britain. The Japanese bombed a territory of the USA (1900-1959).

Now Jon how about a word on radio transmission towers near Khandahar
and how their patterns affect transmission signal strength in Kabul.
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Next

Return to BC Radio History quizzes