Postby jon » Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:01 pm

TD's been a tad busy lately, so it is up to the rest of us to ask those thought-inspiring (or mind-numbing, depending on your point of view) questions in his absense.

OK, here goes.

Are you tired of anyone's Avatar yet? If so, here is the place to embarass them into changing it.

I'll start off. Please, anyone with a little red X where your Avatar should be, speak up if you need help getting it working properly.

If you don't have a clue what I'm talking about, an Avatar is the little picture beside each of our posts. You don't have to have one, if you don't want to. Mine is currently the front of a Lafayette HA-230 communications receiver, the bottom of the line in true DX radios of the '60s, but the best I could afford. I was totally amazed when I first got it, and discovered how much less background noise there really was (Sensitivity) and how little splash you could get from nearby frequencies (Selectivity). It sounds like a backward step to go from a mid-1950s transistor radio to a mid-1960s all tube radio. But it wasn't as the early transistors were actually quite noisy.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby Neumann Sennheiser » Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:12 pm

Mine is the Neumann KU-81 "Dummy Head". A dummy head is a replica of the human head into which microphones have been positioned where the "ears" are normally located. Listening to the dummy head signal using high-quality headphones gives an impression very similar to that which the listener would have if he or she were located at the same place at which the dummy head is set up. The result is an illusion of the very presence at the place of the performance.
Note that the dummy head has no mouth. As my choice of personal avatar, I find it quite appropriate and more than a little ironic.
Last edited by Neumann Sennheiser on Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
"You don't know man! I was in radio man! I've seen things you wouldn't believe!"
Neumann Sennheiser
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:12 am

My avatar is a pix of a handsome young man about to turn 62 who looks forward to the day when two cheques are sent from Ottawa.

Hopefully the world has not come to an end in 3 years and my car is still working so that I can take my meager earnings to the super market to pick up some Maple Leaf sandwich meat.

I also hope we get some real news items here soon so Jon doesn't have to entertain us with yet another TD story.
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby Russ_Byth » Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:22 pm

Mine simply represents my 'living on the edge lifestyle'. OMG, look at the clock... 8:22... time for bed! :mrgreen:
Russ_Byth
Advanced Member

Postby Steve Sanderson » Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:53 pm

Russ_Byth wrote:Mine simply represents my 'living on the edge lifestyle'. OMG, look at the clock... 8:22... time for bed! :mrgreen:

<snicker>
...Good-night Russ.
Steve Sanderson
Advanced Member

Postby cart_machine » Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:04 am

Top Dog wrote:My avatar is a pix of a handsome young man about to turn 62 who looks forward to the day when two cheques are sent from Ottawa.

Handsome? Eh? And why are there flowers growing out of your head? Are they pansies?

The pic I am using now is taken from a CKWX brochure in the John Streit collection. It looked crappy when I changed it to black so have left it in the original blue colour.

cArtie
cart_machine
Advanced Member

Postby Dan Sys » Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:21 am

My avatar is just a snapshot of my lifestyle.....a pisstank.
Dan Sys
Advanced Member

Postby David in North Burnaby » Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:12 pm

My current avatar is entitled Portrait of Maple Laffs Fan; and is of course, how I watch you all through your computers. :D
Have you thought of Allat and al-'Uzza and Manat the third, the other? These are the exalted Gharaniq, whose intercession is to be hoped for. (Q.53) Satan's Version

http://davidinnorthburnablog.blogspot.com/
David in North Burnaby
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:23 pm

JB I thought you loved me - but I guess I will never make it to a higher order
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

my avatar?

Postby johnsykes » Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:46 pm

Just the way I look today as I did in 1963 for my engagement photo. I'd better update this week.....turning 70 next Tuesday.......and awaiting all the plaudits I can muster. Shameless Sykes.....yes siree!!!
johnsykes
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:29 am

pass the sauce

Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby David in North Burnaby » Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:13 am

(Trying to help a promising thread along) This one I call I Wasn't Usin' It Anyways.
Mrs D in N Bby sez its shows an influence of too much time spent watching Monty Python in the day.
Have you thought of Allat and al-'Uzza and Manat the third, the other? These are the exalted Gharaniq, whose intercession is to be hoped for. (Q.53) Satan's Version

http://davidinnorthburnablog.blogspot.com/
David in North Burnaby
Advanced Member

Return to BC Radio History quizzes