Afternoon catches

Post info or questions on stations you have heard or are trying to hear ... the world of DX!

Afternoon catches

Postby radiofan » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:33 pm

Between 3 and 4 (PDT) this afternoon, I was able to listen to KSL 1160 Salt lake City and KFBK 1530 Sacramento .. will be interesting to see if they come in any earlier after the time change this weekend and also once the days start getting a bit colder.

KOA 850 in Denver has been i n most nights this year and the other night KINY 800 in Juneau was dominating the frequency usually occupied by EZ Rock in Penticton.

Might be a decent year.
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Re: Afternoon catches

Postby PicturesForYourEars » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:52 pm

And Sunday afternoon in Port Coquitlam, about 530pm, Sounds Of Mexico was again booming in loud and clear at 1130 on the AM dial! Traffic and weather, and, salsa together on the ones...
...LEFT PLACES I SHOULDA STAYED,
STAYED PLACES I SHOULDA LEFT...
PicturesForYourEars
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:01 pm

PicturesForYourEars wrote:And Sunday afternoon in Port Coquitlam, about 530pm, Sounds Of Mexico was again booming in loud and clear at 1130 on the AM dial! Traffic and weather, and, salsa together on the ones...

There's just no getting away from Nasty interference.
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:08 pm

KFBK was very strong here in Edmonton not long after Radiofan's listening period. KSL always comes in well here at night. In my days of 11am-1pm logging "daytime DX" in Burnaby at the end of the 1960s, KSL tied for most distant signal regularly heard. At the same distance, KWIC-1550 Salt Lake City was the better catch though, as a 10KW daytimer, with a weaker signal but typically heard whenever KSL was (in the daytime).

I still find it interesting that KKXA-1520 comes in so well here despite Edmonton being on the very edge of the directional pattern. 1520 Oregon City would often dominate the frequency previously, but no sign of them anymore.

Although I haven't been checking around sunrise or sunset, CKWX is all alone on 1130 whenever I hear them in the daytime.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:38 pm

Sunday afternoon in Edmonton was also interesting. Well before sunset, I was getting KXEL-1540 from Waterloo, Iowa. First time I've heard a Smokey the Bear PSA in nearly 40 years.

Not too long after sunset, WHO-1040 Des Moines was drowning out Team 1040 some of the time. And KFAB-1110 Omaha was also doing very well.
jon
Advanced Member

Return to As The Dial Turns