Rare Prairie signals make an appearance.

Post info or questions on stations you have heard or are trying to hear ... the world of DX!

Rare Prairie signals make an appearance.

Postby Dan Sys » Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:04 pm

The last few days have seen some very unusual conditions from a DX standpoint. The powerhouse signals from the south that usually dominate the AM band haven't been there and that has created a huge opening for signals from the east.

I woke up around 2AM this morning and went across the dial. The first surprise was a very loud CKSW 570 Swift Current dominating KVI, CKDM 730 Dauphin was causing havoc to Vancouver's CHMJ, CKJH 750 in Melfort was booming in like a local, French programming on 860 which had to have been CBC Saskatoon, CKLQ Brandon on 880 way atop KIXI & CHQT, & somebody playing Country on 920 which I assume was CFRY in Portage La Prairie. We'll see what tonight brings in.
Dan Sys
Advanced Member

Re: Rare Prairie signals make an appearance.

Postby jon » Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:21 pm

1580 is the frequency to watch. Oshawa with Oldies has been heard in the past week in Seattle and Victoria with very little KGAL.

It is the only Ontario station I've heard here in Edmonton, and it comes in fairly frequently in the winter.

Be warned though: they play almost no CanCon after midnight EST (9pm Pacific).
jon
Advanced Member

Re: Rare Prairie signals make an appearance.

Postby Dan Sys » Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:37 pm

Try for CHAM 820 in Hamilton Jon. They usually pop up over KGNW & WBAP a few times every year during the DX season out here. Another one that used to show up on a semi-regular basis was the now defunct CHSC 1220 in St. Catharines.

I've been trying for CKDO 1580 myself the last couple nights, but no luck so far.
Dan Sys
Advanced Member

Return to As The Dial Turns