DX that makes all the effort worth it

Post info or questions on stations you have heard or are trying to hear ... the world of DX!

Re: DX that makes all the effort worth it

Postby Toomas Losin » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:07 am

Oh my! I checked 1580, heard something beneath what I assume is KGAL, and started recording. Reviewing it I heard music followed by a single CKDO call before it faded out. That's only my second time hearing Oshawa. For some reason I don't want to go to bed now!
Toomas Losin
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:11 am

I tried for CKMW at 11:00 PDT, but no luck. Just st6atic and a faint Spanish which I assume was Lodi.

On the way down the dial, KXEL 1540 Waterloo, IA was dominating with local news and then into Red Neck Radio. Another I haven't heard for a few years was coming in strong, KLIX 1310 Twin Falls, ID
with local news then into C2C.
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby Toomas Losin » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:15 pm

Good catch on KXEL.

Last night's recordings are both frustrating and revealing. An hour more of 1580 did not turn up a second CKDO ID although music faded in at times. A spanish-speaking station dropped in briefly, probably KBLA.

I tried for CHAM on 820 which I haven't heard in almost 20 years. There was something beneath KGNW but it was likely WBAP based on past experience. Noise didn't help and neither did KGNW fading out at times. I heard "ESPN" a couple of times from an unknown station. There was a faint but audible 1 kHz het from something on 819.

The star of the night's show was found on 1503. I tried for Australia but received Japan at various times from 1200 - 1300 UTC. The 3 kHz het with North American stations was very strong. The audio was not very intelligible due to noise but it did fade up a couple of times for a few seconds of intelligibility. JOUK is supposedly only 10 kW, a good example of how propagation can be more important than raw power.
Toomas Losin
Advanced Member

Previous

Return to As The Dial Turns