Interesting DX on The Yellowhead & West Kelowna

Post info or questions on stations you have heard or are trying to hear ... the world of DX!

Interesting DX on The Yellowhead & West Kelowna

Postby radiofan » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:05 pm

Driving east on the Yellowhead between Jasper and Hinton brought in some interesting catches on the car radio around sunset tonight.

From Manitoba CBW 990 and CKMW 1570 were both loud and clear. On 980 an interesting three way mix of CKNW, CJME Regina and KFWB Los Angeles on 980.

KXLY was all alone on 920. KXA 1520 Snohomish was like a local. 1200 Vancouver was stronger here than it is in The Fraser Valley. CKWX was clear at times and then blown away by the Russians from Portland.

There was something on just about every frequency. Time to hook up a recorder to the car radio!
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Re: Interesting mix on The Yellowhead

Postby Eldon-Mr.CFAY » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:29 pm

Hi Everyone,
Glad you posted this RadioFan. Good to know how reception is in different parts of Canada. I like the drive along the Yellowhead east from Jasper and I do like Hinton a lot. Anyway like me in Ontario you really notice how much more interesting the AM reception is in areas away from major Canadian cities. That area is similar in distance to Edmonton like I am to Toronto here in Baltimore, Ontario near Cobourg. Quite refreshing getting different reception like that away from Greater Vancouver.

Thanks for reporting Ted and keep up the good reception. Have a good trip in Alberta and back to B.C. too!!!!

73s From Eldon
Bye . . Mr. CFAY "Frequently On The Frequency"
The CFAY Website: http://cfayradio.wordpress.com
CFAY Radio: http://tinyurl.com/l9qqmh
Eldon-Mr.CFAY
Advanced Member

Re: Interesting DX on The Yellowhead & West Kelowna

Postby radiofan » Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:50 pm

Hi again everyone...

A stop in West Kelowna enroute back to the coast had some interesting results shortly after sunset tonight.

A great night for signals from the prairies ... CBW 990 was like a local as was 920 CFRY (Sorry Eldon)!

From Saskatchewan CFSL 1190 Weyburn, CKBI 900 Prince Albert, CBK 540 and CJWW 600 were dominating. CKOM was atop CISL 650.

Country music on 620 was first thought to be CKRM, but it turned out to be KWAL from Wallace, ID.

560 had KMON from Great Falls and KPQ Wenatchee.

Several of Alberta's remaining AM stations including CHQR 770, CFFR 660, CFRN 1260, CKKY 830, CKMX 1060 and CKDQ 910.

Mixing with CKKY on 830 was WCCO Minneapolis and KOA in Denver was all alone on 850, no sign of Alaska.
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby Toomas Losin » Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:02 pm

For a couple of days now I've been hearing WCCO mixing with CKKY sometimes. It hasn't risen to dominate the channel yet, at least not when I've been listening. It's been a couple of years since I've heard WCCO all alone.

KICY hasn't been strong for many days now. I did hear Russian two days ago, so it's still being heard, but the magic from earlier this month is gone despite the sun being very well behaved.
Toomas Losin
Advanced Member

Lethbridge DX 12 AM

Postby pieinthesky » Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:33 pm

I never tried 600 CJWW until now. Even 540 CBK and KMON 560 were booming in like locals. 1440 Wetaskwin and 950 KTMX from Helena were coming in (with a little splatter from 960). 1370 from Butte, Montana was kind of interesting. Not sure what 700 kHz was. Playing a sports game. 670 KBOI usually sticks around for awhile. 850 was a little weak, so was 930 Edmonton.
pieinthesky
Advanced Member

Postby Eldon-Mr.CFAY » Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:07 am

Greetings,
Yes sounds like some very interesting reception RadioFan in the Kelowna area. You know I can't really recall doing any serious dxing or listening to Am in Kelowna except for the local stations there. Maybe I did but have forgotten, just don't remember much about the dial there, it was quiet or noisy or whatever. I remember we stayed overnight on way to Calgary a couple times near downtown Kelowna and I can't remember really checking out dx at night. You certainly got some great reception there though, even CFRY 920 coming in strong, wow!!!! I*m still trying for them here but really have not devoted enough time on it. I think one of the best times to hear them is early morning Eastern Time like around 5 AM opr 6 Am and I usually just too tired to actually hit the dials then.

I was quite interested in your reception of KWAL 620 Wallace, Idaho with country. Haven't heard them in years probably going back to the 70s or maybe very early 80s. Good to know they still get out. I have tried for them in Langley a few times in recent years but have not heard them. Have a nice printed music chart from them when they were top 40 that they sent me back in the 70s sometime. Sounds like Kelowna or at least West Kelowna (Westbank???) is damn good for AM radio reception. I have a cousin who lives in Peachland, haven't really tried too much for dx in the South Okanagan area either but guess I should when visiting relatives there. Where I did try was along the Coquihalla Highway and Trans-Canada route on my way to Ontario in May and conditions were real good at night. As I mentioned some time ago 1520 KKXA with Classic Country from Everett, Washington area was blasting in at night all the way to Golden.

Really enjoyed listening to KEYZ 660 Williston all through Saskatchewan and Western Manitoba at night too. Great country format with lots of local info. etc..
Anyway thanks for mentioning all the reception RadioFan, sounds like a good trip you had!!!

73s Eldon
Bye . . Mr. CFAY "Frequently On The Frequency"
The CFAY Website: http://cfayradio.wordpress.com
CFAY Radio: http://tinyurl.com/l9qqmh
Eldon-Mr.CFAY
Advanced Member

Return to As The Dial Turns