WBCQ 5110 makes it way out here

Post info or questions on stations you have heard or are trying to hear ... the world of DX!

WBCQ 5110 makes it way out here

Postby Toomas Losin » Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:44 pm

Eldon, I hear WBCQ on 5110 this evening. Tuned in around 00:45 UTC and heard murmurs but nothing was intelligible until sometime after 01:20. I heard a Plastic Magic show ID around 01:25. From what I could hear beneath the noise the programming is indeed very eclectic.

It's not listenable due to noise and a weak signal but then that's what the coverage maps on the web site imply. :-)

Like the 15420 transmission it's USB plus carrier, although it's about 200 Hz too low. It zero-beats at 5109.8 kHz.
Toomas Losin
Advanced Member

Re: WBCQ 5110 makes it way out here

Postby Eldon-Mr.CFAY » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:41 am

Greetings,
Good going Toomas on hearing WBCQ on 5110 khz. out there in B.C.. Good catch on Shortwave as I have not heard that frequency too often. I was listening to them here in the Cobourg area quite well Sunday night on Grundig 450 on 5110. Also had them on my Grace Wi-Fi radio with the like local streaming audio programming from 5110. Yes indeed its quite eclectic, before the show you had was a very interesting program with music and a lot of talk about Pirate Radio Station DXing and current stations operating on shortwave pirate style. Its called F.R.N. Network or Free Radio Network Program and is on for an hour or two after 7 PM Eastern Time, actually I think its more like 9 PM Eastern Time. The schedule for all 4 shortwave frequencies for WBCQ is on their website which also has a link for programming for streaming audio for each shortwave frequency including 5110 if you want to check to verify what you are hearing over the air on your radio too!!!

The other thing is that every other Sunday on WBCQ 5110 from 8 PM to 11 PM is RNI or Radio New York International with Johnny Lightning. He is a very talent talk show host/dj but still living in his pirate day style youth for programming!!! That is at times you will hear some rather descriptive language used to comment on current news stories and other things. It might be a bit offensive to some but thats Johnnys Pirate Radio Style coming out because like Allan Weiner and J.P. Ferraro he used to be a pirate radio station operator in Brooklyn (New York City). J.P. of WHVW was telling me he used to do a radio program on WHVW quite a few years back but lets say some colorful language and comments came out and they were not appreciated by J.P. or WHVW on a licensed commercial station. No FCC comments but J.P. had to nip it in the bud so to speak before the FCC might have noticed!!!! So unfortunately even though he is very talented and could run many commercial morning dj teams under the rug some of his pirate style in broadcasting could get a station in doo doo to say the least on AM or FM!!! Anyway Toomas if you get a chance give a listen to Johnny on WBCQ Shortwave 5110 next Sunday between 8 PM and 11 PM Eastern, quite often he has guests on and yes some topics are most interesting along with all the RNI jingles and some music he plays too!!! For more information there are links and photos to Johnny Lightnings website on the WBCQ website.

Anyway glad you heard them on 5110 and again congratulations on all your dxing! Hope you receive some more great stations this dx season as well on the AM Band and even shortwave!!!

Take care, safety first! 73s Eldon
Bye . . Mr. CFAY "Frequently On The Frequency"
The CFAY Website: http://cfayradio.wordpress.com
CFAY Radio: http://tinyurl.com/l9qqmh
Eldon-Mr.CFAY
Advanced Member

Return to As The Dial Turns