KHKA 1500 and LLD 353 Hawaii

Post info or questions on stations you have heard or are trying to hear ... the world of DX!

KHKA 1500 and LLD 353 Hawaii

Postby Toomas Losin » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:15 am

Last night I heard the navigation beacon LLD on 353 kHz located in Lanai, Hawaii, so I monitored 1500 overnight.

I heard the expected ESPN which is likely the regularly heard KSTP St. Paul but what got my attention was hearing Yahoo! Sports Radio often. That started an investigation that brought me up to date: At some point KHKA Honolulu switched from ESPN to Yahoo! Sports Radio.

Conditions must have favoured the Pacific as I didn't hear KSTP much at all. I didn't hear a KHKA ID as the top of the hours were all hit by noise but I did hear part of a commercial about making donations to the Hawaii Red Cross. KHKA should be easier to catch now that it's not ESPN!

I also heard an oriental language at times. This was probably KSJX San José. I also heard easy listening music sometimes which may also have been KSJX.

Reception of KHKA would have been good for extended times most of the night if not for horrible splatter from some other station. I'm not sure if it was CJVB 1470 or KGA 1510.

I wonder what tonight will bring, what with the CME that hit us overnight.
Toomas Losin
Advanced Member

Return to As The Dial Turns