Major FM DX Opening Now

Post info or questions on stations you have heard or are trying to hear ... the world of DX!

Major FM DX Opening Now

Postby jon » Fri May 10, 2013 1:24 pm

Just ID'ed KSOS-FM in Las Vegas on 90.5 MHz from here in Edmonton, dominating the frequency 95% of the time over the half hour between 1:40 pm and 2:10 p.m. Double checked the on-line stream to be sure that CKRD-FM Red Deer wasn't running the SOS network (sosradio.net) -- it wasn't.

There was a religious talker heard the other 5% of the time. Again, not CKRD-FM as they were playing music on their on-line stream.

Noted something similar on 90.7 MHz yesterday morning around 9:30 a.m. when I heard some adult contemporary music, but not sure it was religious or secular. I checked my local CBC Radio Two on 90.9 to be sure it wasn't slop, and they were playing something quite different.
jon
Advanced Member

Re: Major FM DX Opening Now

Postby jon » Fri May 10, 2013 1:35 pm

Update at 2:30 pm MDT: Wyoming Public Radio is dominant now, running BBC World Service News after the half hour ID. Likely, KUWZ-FM in Rock Springs, Wyoming.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby Dan Sys » Fri May 10, 2013 2:02 pm

Nothing of any significant distance noted here, but the Seattle-Tacoma stations are booming in with unusual strength. KISW is blasting in on 99.9 way over the usually dominant CBU-FM-7 in Chilliwack for instance.
Dan Sys
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Fri May 10, 2013 4:42 pm

I did a bandscan around 3:30 and no real FM DX per se, like Dan, I was getting most of the Seattle stations like locals.

Maybe all the chem trail activity in the Edmonton region in the last day or two along with signal reflection off the tin foil covered heads of some Edmonton residents helped bring the skip into the 780 area. :towel:
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Fri May 10, 2013 5:18 pm

I checked again just before 5pm and 90.5 was dead as a door nail.

But, just before 6pm, CKRD-FM was in like a local briefly then a moderate signal most of the time until the Legal ID at 6:01 pm.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby Muzik » Fri May 10, 2013 7:40 pm

Update from Saskatoon WOW Skip from Arizona and New Mexico at 10 am cst. The FM dial was full of choices.This was a great DXing Day.
Muzik
Advanced Member

Return to As The Dial Turns